12 Best Essential Oils for Ear Infection, Uses, DIY recipes, & Precautions
Ear infections are a common issue that is found in children as well as adults. Ear infections can be very painful and can cause a lot of discomforts. There are many different remedies for treating ear infections. The natural remedy is one of the treatments that is usually searched for and relied upon for curing ear infections and ear pain.
Essential oils have many medicinal properties, and it is becoming a trend to use essential oils to treat ear infections in the most natural manner. Essential oils are known for their healing properties and can heal ear infections.
But many people still are unaware of the use of essential oils to cure ear infections.
Whether it is safe to use essential oils for an ear infection?
Can essential oils work to cure an ear infection?
Can essential oils help get rid of ear pain?
These are some very common questions that come into people's minds when deciding upon using essential oils to treat their ear infections.
To get answers to all these questions, continue reading the article below that will help you decide which essential oil should be selected for treating ear infections, its use, and safety precautions.
What Are Some Of The Best Essential Oils For Ear Infections?
Following is the list of essential oils that will help you heal ear infections
1. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has many medicinal benefits and treats many health-related and skin-related issues. Tea tree oil is suitable for ear infections as it has antibacterial properties that fight bacteria-causing infections and help speed up the healing process of ear infections.
According to a study conducted in the year 2006, it has been found out that tea tree oil contains terpinen -4-ol. It is a chemical component that has anti-inflammatory properties, antibacterial properties, and antiparasitic properties.
The presence of terpinen- 4-ol in tea tree oil helps fight the bacteria of ear infection and promotes speedy recovery from the infection. This chemical compound also helps in treating different skin infections. (1)
Must Read: Tea Tree Oil Benefits & Uses
The antiseptic and antimicrobial properties of tea tree oil has been studied and published in the Journal Clinical Microbiology Review. The oil can definitely be applied topically to treat ear infections. However, inhalation aromatherapy with tea tree oil can lower the pain and discomfort. Here are a few recipes with tea tree oil for ear infection.
DIY Recipes with Tea Tree Oil for Ear Infection
- 3 drops of tea tree essential oil
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
How to use Tea Tree Oil Recipe for Ear Infection?
- Slightly warm the olive oil.
- Add the tea tree oil to the olive oil.
- Apply the oils blend to the outside of the ear.
- Massage the oil till it gets absorbed.
- Repeat this few times in a day.
- 1 drop of tea tree essential oil
- 1 drop of basil essential oil
- 2 drops of lavender essential oil
- 1 tablespoon of mustard oil
How to use Tea Tree Oil for Ear Infection?
- Mix all the oils well.
- Apply it around the ear region and massage.
- Repeat it a few times a day.
2. Oregano Oil
Oregano oil has antiviral and antibacterial properties that help heal viral and bacterial infections by fighting bacteria and microorganisms. (2)
Oregano oil also has antibiotic properties that help relieve pain in infection.
This oregano oil is used in treating colds and flu, which might be one of the reasons for pain in the ears. Oregano oil has anti-inflammatory properties that help in reducing inflammation and thus help treat ear infections.
3. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil is one of the popular essential oils for calming purposes. The lavender essential oil has anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties known for offering relief from pain and thus can be used for treating earaches and pain due to ear infections. Lavender oil has antibacterial properties that can help speed up the healing process of ear infections and get rid of infection and pain. (3)
Must Read: Benefits & Uses of Lavender Essential Oil
4. Basil Oil
Basil oil is full of antioxidants, anti-inflammatory properties, and antibacterial properties. This oil has many compounds, but the two most important compounds that help deal with ear infections are methyl chavicol and methyl eugenol. This oil helps fight bacteria and treat ear infections and different types of skin infections.
5. Garlic Oil
Garlic oil is considered one of the most important natural remedies that have proved itself since time immemorial to treat various skin issues and diseases.
The use of garlic oil can also offer relief from an ear infection as it has properties that fight the symptoms of an ear infection. It has antimicrobial and antibacterial properties that help fight the microorganisms and bacteria in an ear infection and get rid of the infection.
Research conducted in 2019 found that the two garlic derivatives, allicin, and sallyly cysteine, have proven to fight against ear infections, especially in the ear canal and the middle ear. (4)
6. Clove Oil
Clove essential oil is one of the most effective essential oils to help reduce ear infections and pain. It has properties that help kill viruses, fungi, bacteria, and parasites. Thus, its use effectively treats ear infections and speeds up healing.
Clove essential oil is full of antibacterial properties and anesthetic properties that are used to reduce the signs of infection and, at the same time, relieve pain. Clove oil kills germs and can treat ear infections. Hence, its use for different aches and infections is recommended. Ear infections of pets can also be treated with clove oil. (5)
Must Read: Clove Bud Essential Oil for Pain Relief
7. Peppermint Oil
One of the most important compounds of Mentha Piperita Oil (Peppermint oil) is menthol, known for its soothing properties and for offering relief from pain and infections. Hence, peppermint oil works for ear infections.
Peppermint oil has anti-inflammatory properties that help in reducing inflammation that is usually caused due to ear infections. (6) It can also help in reducing the swelling that is caused due to ear infections. It has antibacterial properties that is useful in treating ear infections.
8. Geranium Oil
The geranium essential oil has anti-inflammatory properties that treat ear infections, inflammation, and pain. It has antifungal and antibacterial properties that fight the infection-causing bacteria and speed up the healing process. You can use this oil in the ear canal for healing purposes. Geranium oil is effective in treating ear infections.
The regular use of geranium oil for ear infections will improve the ear condition very fast. Geranium oil can also be used for treating ear discharge as well as for outer ear canal infection treatment. Geranium oil helps reduces the pain and itchiness caused due to ear infections. It can also treat pain around your ear. (7)
9. Frankincense Oil
Frankincense essential oil is rich in anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce ear infection inflammation. Frankincense oil can also be used for relieving pain like normal earaches or ear pain caused due to ear infections. Frankincense has antibacterial and antifungal properties that fight germs and bacterial infections and heals the infection speedily.
Must Read: Benefits of Using Frankincense Essential Oil
10. Thyme Essential Oil
Thyme essential oil is rich in antibacterial, antifungal, and antimicrobial properties, which can help eliminate different types of infections, including ear infections.
Thyme oil has one of the active compounds called thymol which is rich in antibiotics that help heal an infection speedily. Its antiseptic properties help fight symptoms of ear infection.
Must Read: Benefits & Uses of Thyme essential oil
11. Rosemary Essential Oil
Rosemary essential oil has analgesic properties that help in offering relief from pain and different aches. Rosemary oil has wound-healing properties and hence can be effectively used to treat ear infections. It has properties that help neutralize bacteria and thus helps clear up the infection.
Must Read: Benefits of Rosemary Essential Oil
12. Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Eucalyptus oil has natural healing and soothing properties that offer relief to customers that seek pain relief. Ear infections can be very painful sometimes, and using eucalyptus essential oil can reduce pain.
It has properties that facilitate blood circulation, which reduces pain. It also has anti-inflammatory properties that reduce inflammation of the affected area. (8)
Is It Safe To Use Essential Oils For Ear Infection Or In Earache?
Essential oils are derived from plants and their different extracts through distillation. Essential oils are rich in medicinal and healing properties. Hence, this makes necessary oils a natural remedy for ear infections and earaches. Though, this does not mean that it is safe for use.
Points To Remember
- There are chances that undiluted essential oils can cause skin irritation if applied directly.
- Diluting your essential oil with carrier oils can help reduce the chances of skin irritation.
- If any person is allergic to specific plants, they should avoid using essential oils extracted from those plants as they might suffer allergies after use.
- Also, if someone has a ruptured eardrum, then the use of essential oils is not safe as it can worsen the infection.
- It is unsafe to ingest essential oil as it can become poisonous and release toxins into the body.
How To Use Essential Oils To Treat An Ear Infection?
Certain essential oils can help stop ear pain and treat ear infections. But applying undiluted essential oils may cause your ear infection further irritate. Hence, knowing the right way to use essential oils and treat ear infections and ear pain is important.
Dilute 1-2 drops of essential oils for 1 teaspoon of carrier oil.
Step 1- Dilute The Essential Oil With A Carrier Oil
It is necessary to dilute essential oils with carrier oil before using them. Carrier oils can be used along with essential oil for treating ear infections. Common carrier oils include coconut oil, jojoba oil, almond oil, olive oil, argan oil, etc.
Step 2- Apply The Dilution On The Affected Area.
The essential oil can be applied to ear infections in different ways,
Soaking A Cotton Ball
- Soak the cotton ball in the essential oil and carrier oil mixture.
- Put this cotton ball into your ear or keep it above the ear opening and press the cotton ball gently and let the oil seep slowly into the ear.
*Note: Remember that the cotton ball should not be placed inside the ear.
Using Mixture To Clean Outside Ear
- Use a cotton swab, dip it in the essential and carrier oil mixture, and apply it on the outside area of the ear infection.
- For this purpose, essential oils with anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties should be used.
- Tea tree oil and basil oil both have medicinal properties that help get rid of ear infections and their symptoms.
- Other essential oils, like peppermint, geranium, lavender, etc., can also be used to clean the outside ear.
Using Mixture In The Ear
- You can warm the mixture of essential oil and a carrier oil like olive oil and then use 2 to 3 drops of essential oil and directly place it into the ear.
- Use a dropper for this purpose. It will help clear ear wax and directly impact the infected area.
*Note: Using too much essential oil can clog the ear.
DIY Recipes Of Essential Oils For Curing Ear Infection
DIY Recipe #1 - Essential Oil Recipe For Ear Pain
- Cotton ball
- 1 drop of basil oil
- 1 drop of tea tree oil
- 1 drop of lavender oil
- 1 drop of frankincense oil
- 5 tablespoons of carrier oil
How To Make:
- Mix all the oils in a small dish or a glass bottle, and give it a gentle shake to blend it well.
How To Use:
- Take a cotton ball and dip it in the mixture.
- Rub the cotton ball around the ear-infected area.
- Follow this procedure every 1 hour until the pain is relieved.
Benefits: This DIY recipe will help relieve the pain and reduce the inflammation in an ear infection.
DIY Recipe #2 - Recipe Essential Oils Blend For Ear Infection In Babies
- 10 drops of tea tree oil
- 10 drops of Thyme oil
- 10 drops of lavender oil
- 30 ml warmed carrier oil
- 50 ml glass bottle
How To Make
- Mix all the oils in a glass bottle and shake it well
How To Use
- Take a few drops of the blend on the palm and massage the area around the ear and neck
- Practice this massage outside of the ear twice a day for a few days
DIY Recipe #3 - Essential Oils Recipe For Ear Infection In Adults
- 10 drops of clove oil
- 10 drops rosemary oil
- 8 drops oregano oil
- 10 drops of geranium oil
- 30 ml carrier oil
- 50 ml glass bottle
How To Make
- Pour all the oils into the glass bottle and give it a gentle shake to mix it well.
How To Use
- Shake the bottle well before use.
- Tilt your head with your ear facing the sky.
- With the help of a dropper, use 1 to 2 drops of this blend and cautiously drop it in the ear.
*Remember to avoid using excess drops of this blend, as it can clog your ears.
*Keep in mind: If you are facing any allergic reaction or any issue after the use of essential oils, immediately seek a doctor's help.
Exercise caution when using essential oils, and try to insert the recommended drops of diluted oil into your ear
Safety And Precautions While Using Essential Oils For An Ear Infection
Essential oils treat ear infection and earache, as oils have antimicrobial or antibacterial properties. Also, essential oils have antimicrobial properties which helps in fighting germs and healing ear infection. But there are certain safety measures that should be known and implemented before using essential oils for ear infection or ear pain.
Avoid Undiluted Essential Oil
It is recommended that always use diluted essential oil, as undiluted essential oil can further aggravate the situation.
It is necessary to conduct a patch test before applying essential oils. Essential oils can sometimes cause irritation and inflammation. Hence, it is necessary to apply it elsewhere before applying it to the affected area.
Wait for one hour at least after conducting the patch test. If any side effects like irritation or inflammation are not witnessed, then you can apply the essential oil to the ear infection.
Avoid When The Eardrum Is Ruptured
In case of an eardrum rupture, the pain will automatically subside after some time. If you cannot find relief from pain after some time, then please consult a doctor.
Avoid Using More Than 2 Drops Of Essential Oil
Using excess drops of essential oil can clog the ear and cause trouble or irritation.
Avoid The Use Of Essential Oils If You Are:
Pregnant women, or breastfeeding women, should avoid the use of essential oils or exercise caution if used.
Now, you are well aware of the fact that essential oils can help you heal your ear infection and get rid of ear pain. Though, it is advisable to consult your doctor before using essential oils as a remedy to treat ear infections.
Keep in mind the above-stated safety precautions to avoid any repercussions of the use of essential oils.
Essential oils are not regulated by any authority or organization. Hence, it is necessary to do proper research before purchasing essential oils.
Trusted brands and manufacturers should be selected for purchasing essential oils as they will offer high-quality and pure essential oils.
What essential oils are used for ear infection?
Tea tree oil, lavender oil, basil oil, clove oil, garlic oil, frankincense, geranium, peppermint oil, thyme, eucalyptus, and rosemary essential oil are some of the essential oils that can be used for ear infection.
How to use essential oils for ear infection?
- Essential oil should be used in diluted form as undiluted essential oil can cause irritation or inflammation on the infected area.
- Essential oils should be diluted with a carrier oil like coconut oil, jojoba oil, argan oil, etc. and then the oil can be inserted in the ear with the help of a dropper.
- Essential oil can be used to massage the infected area to relieve pain. Essential oil can be used to clean the ear infected area with the help of cotton swabs.
Can essential oils cure ear infection?
Yes. Essential oils have antifungal, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties that help heal ear infection. It has healing and soothing properties that help relieve ear pain.
Can tea tree oil cure an ear infection?
Yes. Tea tree oil has antibacterial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that help in healing skin infections including ear infections. Tea tree oil fights infection causing bacteria and speeds up the ear infection healing process.
Does lavender oil help ear infections?
Lavender oil has soothing properties like analgesic properties that help achieve relief from earache. Lavender oil has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that help in caring ear infection.
- Clinical Microbiology Reviews. Vol. 19, No. 1. (2006) Melaleuca alternifolia (Tea Tree) Oil: a Review of Antimicrobial and Other Medicinal Properties. https://journals.asm.org/doi/10.1128/CMR.19.1.50-62.2006
- Genetics and Molecular Microbiology • Braz. J. Microbiol. 42 (4) • (2011) Antiviral activity of the Lippia graveolens (Mexican oregano) essential oil and its main compound carvacrol against human and animal viruses. https://www.scielo.br/j/bjm/a/BVGDSyffcY4Rvjmw9wSzVvx/?lang=en
- Nursing Clinics of North America. (2001) THE ROLE OF AROMATHERAPY IN NURSING CARE. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0029646522025294
- Turk Arch Otorhinolaryngol (2019) Antimicrobial Activity of Garlic Derivatives on Common Causative Microorganisms of the External Ear Canal and Chronic Middle Ear Infections. https://cms.galenos.com.tr/Uploads/Article_43052/tao-57-161-En.pdf
- Clove: A review of a precious species with multiple uses. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/337821557_Clove_A_review_of_a_precious_species_with_multiple_uses
- Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy. (2022) Peppermint essential oil: its phytochemistry, biological activity, pharmacological effect and application https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0753332222009489
- Journal of Microbiology, Immunology and Infection. (2014). Investigation of the effectiveness of Syzygium aromaticum, Lavandula angustifolia and Geranium robertianum essential oils in the treatment of acute external otitis: A comparative trial with ciprofloxacin. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1684118212002149
- Molecular Biology Reports. (2012) Phytochemical composition of Cymbopogon citratus and Eucalyptus citriodora essential oils and their anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties on Wistar rats. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11033-012-2155-1
- Nourish Your Cuticles: The Best Oils and DIY Tips for Healthy Nails
- Get Fuller Brows with Argan Oil for Eyebrows
- Essential Oils for Anger, Aggression and Irritability
- The Ultimate Guide to Using Castor Oil for Acne Scars
- Use Castor Oil for Nail Growth- The Best Oil For Nails
- Almond Oil for Skin Whitening: Benefits of Using Almond Oil
- Does Goat Milk Soap Lighten The Skin? Goat Milk Soap Benefits
- Best Essential Oils for Corns with DIY Recipes