Discover Essential Oils That Can Improve Your Gallbladder Health
The gallbladder is an organ located below the liver. Its main function is to store and releases bile, which is used for fat digestion (1). Gallbladder issues, such as gallstones or inflammation, can cause a range of symptoms, including pain, nausea, and vomiting. Gallstones are a problem that is very commonly found these days mainly because of fatty diets (2). It can block the bile flow and can prevent the passage of pancreatic enzymes. It can cause inflammation in the gallbladder (cholecystitis). There are many medications available in the market. But many prefer natural remedies to treat the symptoms of gallbladder issues.
One such natural ingredient is essential oil. Essential oils are highly concentrated versions of plant properties (3). The essential oil has many medicinal and therapeutic benefits that can be used for gall bladder. It has anti-inflammatory properties that help in reducing pain, irritation, swelling, etc. Essential oils can be used as massage oils to treat gallbladder-related issues. It can also be used to treat different stomach issues. Essential oils can help in offering relief for different symptoms related to gallbladder issues, gallstones, etc.
What Are The Best Essential Oils For Gall Bladder?
There are several essential oils that can be used to treat gallbladder issues. Below are some of the best essential oils that can be used to help relieve liver and gallbladder issues and can prevent any disease related to stomach.
1. Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil is believed to have a relaxing effect on the muscles of the digestive tract and may help to reduce the discomfort associated with gallbladder issues (4). This is one of the best oils for gallbladder pain. It can be used in massage oils or added to a warm bath. Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, it helps alleviate any sort of pain. It also has properties that help in relaxing the muscles of the digestive tract. Peppermint oil also helps in detoxifying the gallbladder (5).
2. Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon oil may help to stimulate the production of bile, which can be helpful for people with gallbladder problems (6). You can diffuse this oil to take advantage of its benefits. Lemon oil is found to be one of the most effective oils that helps in dissolving gallstones. Lemon oil contains lipolytic action, which helps in reducing gallbladder attacks. It also improves blood circulation and helps break down lipids. Regular use of this oil has a high capacity to break down fat as well.
3. Grapefruit Essential Oil
Grapefruit oil is a great essential oil for stomach-related issues or for gallbladder. Grapefruit oil is great for reducing fluid retention and also improves overall digestion resulting in improved gallbladder condition. This oil can help in increasing blood flow to the digestive organs and helps remove toxins and other pollutants. You can use grapefruit oil in the form of massage oil to get relief from gallbladder problems.
4. Melissa Essential Oil
Melissa oil has antimicrobial properties that help in fighting infections. It is also known as lemon balm oil (7). It also contains lipase properties that help the bile duct and increases bile creation within the liver. It can also be used to dissolve gallstones. It contains anti-inflammatory properties that help in reducing pain and swelling.
5. Dill Oil
Dill oil has been traditionally used to relieve gastrointestinal problems, including those related to the gallbladder (8). It can be used in a diffuser or can be used for topical application by diluting it with a carrier oil.
6. Frankincense Oil
Frankincense oil is famous for its rich anti-inflammatory properties, which makes it particularly effective for reducing gallbladder inflammation and pain. This anti-inflammatory oil, along with curcumin, can assist in relieving chronic pain.
Frankincense oil contains antibacterial and antifungal properties that help in fighting any sort of infection. You can massage your stomach using this oil for better results. It also helps detoxify and offer relief from stomach-related issues.
7. Tangerine Essential Oil
Tangerine oil is one of the must-haves if you want to treat gallstones. It helps in detoxifying the body and helps improve liver health and function, resulting in a healthy digestive system.
8. Rosemary Oil
Rosemary essential oil has been used as a traditional remedy to stimulate bile flow and relieve digestive problems. It is one of the oldest oil that is being used to treat gallstones or other gallbladder-related infections.
Rosemary oil contains cineole, alpha-pinene, and camphor that help in dissolving gallstones. This is one of the best oils to be used for treating gallbladder problems mainly because of its anti-stringent and digestive. It can be diffused or used for topical application.
9. Turmeric Oil
Turmeric oil has anti-inflammatory properties that may be helpful for reducing inflammation in the gallbladder. Turmeric oil can be both diffused as well as topically applied.
10. Ginger oil
Ginger oil has anti-inflammatory properties that help alleviate pain due to gallbladder problems. It also helps in improving overall digestion and improves the functioning of the digestive system. It helps treat nausea and vomiting symptoms related to gallbladder issues.
11. Fennel Oil
Fennel oil is best for treating gastrointestinal problems (9). It also improves and stimulates the production of bile. It has a relaxing effect on the muscles of the digestive tract and improves digestive functioning.
How To Use Essential Oils For Gall Bladder?
Add a few drops of essential oils such as peppermint or lemon to a diffuser and inhale the aroma to help stimulate the gallbladder and promote healthy digestion.
Mix a few drops of essential oils such as ginger or fennel with a carrier oil and massage the mixture onto the abdomen to help support the gallbladder and promote healthy digestion. Carrier oils include coconut oil, jojoba oil, almond oil, argan oil, olive oil, etc.
Dilute a few drops of essential oil, such as peppermint or lemon, in a glass of water and drink it to help stimulate the gallbladder and promote healthy digestion.
*Note: Essential oils in pure form are not suitable for ingestion. In order to use essential oils internally, it is recommended to dilute the oil properly or take an expert's help.
# DIY Recipes For Gallbladder Issues | Essential Oil Blends To Support Gallbladder Health
DIY Gallbladder Massage Oil
- 1 ounce of carrier oil (Sweet almond oil or grapeseed oil)
- 4 drops of peppermint oil
- 4 drops of lemon oil
- 2 drops of dill oil
- 2 drops of rosemary oil
- 2 drops of turmeric oil
- In a small glass bottle, add the carrier oil and essential oils.
- Close the bottle and shake well to mix the oils.
- Apply a small amount of massage oil to your abdomen and gently massage in a clockwise direction.
- You can use the massage oil once daily or as directed by your doctor.
Essential oils should not be used internally without the guidance of a healthcare professional and should be used in dilution when applied topically. If you have sensitive skin, it is recommended to perform a patch test before using the massage oil on a larger area.
DIY Essential Oils Bath Blend For Gallbladder
- 2 cups of Epsom salts
- 2 tablespoons of carrier oil (such as sweet almond oil or grapeseed oil)
- 4 drops of peppermint oil
- 4 drops of lemon oil
- In a large bowl, mix the Epsom salts, carrier oil, and essential oils together.
- Fill your bathtub with warm water and add the mixture to the water.
- Soak in the bath for 20-30 minutes, allowing the essential oils to be absorbed through your skin.
- You can use this bath once a day or as directed by your healthcare professional.
DIY Inhaler For Gallbladder
- A small glass jar with a lid
- Cotton balls or pads
- 2 drops of peppermint oil
- 2 drops of lemon oil
- In the small glass jar, add the essential oils.
- Dip the cotton ball or pad into the jar, making sure it is fully saturated with the oils.
- Close the jar and allow the oils to soak into the cotton ball or pad for a few minutes.
- Open the jar and inhale the scent of the oils deeply for a few minutes. Repeat as needed.
- You can use this inhaler as needed or as directed by your healthcare professional.
Above is the list of the best essential oils for gallbladder health and gallbladder congestion. Essential oils are natural oils that can be used for effective gallbladder functioning. These essential oils for the gallbladder can be used to treat gallbladder stones or treat gallbladder and liver-related issues.
What oils are good for gallbladder?
Essential oils like lemon oil, peppermint oil, lemon balm oil, grapefruit oil, fennel oil, ginger oil, turmeric oil, frankincense oil, tangerine oil, rosemary oil, dill oil, etc. are good for gallbladder.
How do you soothe an inflamed gallbladder?
You can massage your stomach area by using essential oil with carrier oil. You can also add a few drops of essential oils to your bath and immerse yourself to relieve inflamed gallbladder. Or you can diffuse essential oils and enjoy its aromatherapy benefits to release inflammation in gallbladder.
Does peppermint oil help gallbladder?
Yes, peppermint oil contains anti-inflammatory properties that help in treating inflammation, pain, and swelling symptoms associated with gallbladder problems.
Is frankincense good for gallbladder?
Yes, frankincense is rich in anti-inflammatory properties which makes it good for gallbladder. It also contains antifungal and antibacterial properties that help prevent any sort of infections.
- AFRICAN JOURNALS ONLINE (AJOL). Nigerian Journal of Surgery. https://www.ajol.info/index.php/njs/article/view/95523
- The Detailed Analysis of Essential Oils Leads to the Understanding of their Properties. https://img.perfumerflavorist.com/files/base/allured/all/document/2016/02/pf.0011.pdf
- How to get rid of gallstones naturally. https://www.nourishdoc.com/health/how-to-get-rid-of-gallstones-naturally
- Role of Indian traditional medicine in mitigating novel corona virus effects. http://nopr.niscpr.res.in/handle/123456789/56236
- Pharmacogn Rev. (2010). Anethum graveolens: An Indian traditional medicinal herb and spice. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3249919/
- Saudi Journal of Biological Sciences. Protective effects of fennel oil extract against sodium valproate-induced hepatorenal damage in albino rats. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1319562X16301450
- Best Candles For Meditation And Its Benefits
- Xanthan Gum On Skin – Is It Good Or Bad?
- Peppermint Oil For Lips – Get Plump Lips with Peppermint Balm
- Complete Guide on Rosemary Water | Homemade Rosemary Water for Hair Growth, Long and Healthy Hair
- Essential Oils To Boost Your Immune System Support
- 13 Top Essential Oils for Snoring | Snore Stop Essential Oil Recipe
- Vitamin C Pack For Face – Benefits and Homemade Recipe
- Coconut Oil Vs Olive Oil For Hair | Difference Between Olive Oil And Coconut Oil For Hair