Easy DIY Sugar Wax Recipe | Homemade Sugar Wax For Smooth Skin
Sugar wax is one of the best alternative options to the traditional waxing approach. It gives you a smooth finish and leaves your skin soft and supple. Sugar wax is gentler on the skin compared to traditional wax, and no wax strips are required in this process. Waxing helps in removing dead skin cells and makes your skin looks clean.
Sugar wax is made with all-natural ingredients and is preferred by many people, especially the ones that always seek natural alternatives. Making sugar wax is a very easy process. You need a few ingredients, and these ingredients are easily available in your kitchen. Sugaring is one of the traditional methods of hair removal .
This post suggests a DIY sugar wax recipe that you can easily try in the comfort of your home and get smooth hair free skin. Learn how to make sugar wax at home and the method of hair removal.
What Is Sugar Wax?
Sugar wax, also known as sugaring, is one of the natural ways to remove body hair. Sugar wax is made by using sugar, water, and lemon juice. You can also use apple cider vinegar and a few drops of essential oils. Sugar wax is applied in a similar way as traditional wax. Sugar waxing is also a type of hair removal product that can help remove unwanted hair by using sugar-based paste.
Though the major difference between the two is that sugar wax is gentle on the skin. Also washing off the sugar wax is also very easy. One of the major benefits of using sugar wax is that it also suits sensitive skin types. Sugar wax is able to reach and remove hair from tricky places as well, like, around the ankles. It removes hair from roots and not from the surface of the skin.
Learn How To Make Sugar Wax At Home | DIY Sugar Wax Recipe
Use the following recipes and learn how to make your own sugar wax and remove unwanted hair by using a small amount of wax. Below are some easy DIY recipes you can try at home.
# Recipe 1
Sugar Wax Ingredients
- 1 cup of granulated white sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- Combine the 1 cup of sugar, lemon juice, and water in a small saucepan and stir until solid sugar to liquid sugar is achieved.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat, let the sugar boil, and continue stirring until you get melted sugar.
- Reduce the heat to low and continue to simmer the mixture until it turns golden brown. It will take nearly 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow the mixture to cool for a few minutes.
- Once the mixture has cooled slightly, with the help of a spoon, scoop a spoonful of the sugar wax into a clean, dry jar. Be sure to let the mixture cool completely before closing the jar, as the sugar wax will continue to harden as it cools.
# Recipe 2
- 2 cups of cane sugar
- 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup of filtered water
- 5 drops of tea tree essential oil (optional)
- Measure your ingredients and pour sugar, apple cider vinegar, and water into a saucepan.
- Keep the flame on medium heat and continue to stir until it boils.
- Continue to cook it for 5 to 10 minutes until you get the right consistency.
- Turn the heat off and let it cool for a while.
- Now take a heat-resistant glass mason jar and transfer the mixture in it.
- Let your sugar wax cool; for this, you can place this sugar mixture in the freezer for cooling. Do not pour hot sugar wax onto your skin.
- Once it is cooled, you can start using your wax.
The wax should be stretchy in nature, like chewing gum. This is one of the great recipes you should try at home the next time you decide to wax.
*Note: If the wax is liquidy, then you need to heat it further.
How To Use Homemade Sugar Wax?
To remove the hair, you need to follow the below process:
- To use sugar wax, you need to scoop out a small amount of sugar paste and roll the wax by placing the wax between your hands in the form of a ball.
- Then you need to apply this ball of wax on the desired area you want to wax and then press it gently to flick the sugar wax in the direction of hair growth.
- Then once it is spread, you need to pull it off quickly in the opposite direction of the hair growth. So, grab one end of the wax and remove it quickly. If you want, you can also apply a strip on top of the wax and use it to pull the sugar wax mixture instead of pulling the wax itself.
- Continuing repeating this process.
- You can store leftover wax in an airtight container.
What Are Some Of The Benefits Of Sugar Waxing As Compared To Other Hair Removal Methods?
Sugar waxing is one of the best options for those people who had bad experiences with traditional waxing. Following are some of the benefits of sugaring:
No Chance Of Getting Burned
Normally hot wax is used, but it does not need to be hot to work. In traditional waxing, the method is if the professional does not have the required skill set, then there are chances of getting burned. This is not the case with sugaring.
Sugar wax easily melts when in contact with water. So, if there is any mess up, you can easily clean it. Also, if you have any lingering wax anywhere on your skin, you can easily get rid of it by simply washing it away with the help of a wet cloth.
It Is Very Gentle On The Skin
One of the major reasons why sugar wax is preferred over traditional wax is that it is very gentle on the skin. It does not stick to the skin, and due to this reason, it does not rip off a layer of skin when pulled. As it does not pull the skin, there are almost no wounds caused after sugaring.
It Can Be Reapplied
Sugar wax can be reapplied to a specific area if you have missed any hair. It does not cause any adverse effects on the skin.
Sugaring Results In Less Breakage And Ingrown Hair
In sugaring, hair is removed in the direction it grows, and due to this reason, there are fewer chances of ingrown hair. It is gentle on the skin and hair. Sugar wax stays soft on hair during the whole process and wraps itself to the hair follicle, which helps in reducing breakage.
Sugaring is cost effective as it is made using very simple and unaffordable kitchen products like sugar, water and lemon .
Sugaring is a great sustainable option as it is made of food products that are biodegradable. Also, it creates less waste and eliminates the use of sticks and strips. Also, you can use the same ball of sugar wax throughout the waxing process.
How To Prep Your Skin Before Wax?
Exfoliate your skin properly and wash the skin. It is important to clean your skin before applying sugar wax to the desired area. Make sure the skin is completely dry before applying the sugar wax.
Sugar wax works best on hair that is at least 1/4 inch long, so it's a good idea to let your hair grow out for a few weeks before using it. Also, make sure to apply the wax in the natural direction of the hair growth to minimize discomfort and skin irritation.
How To Wax Your Legs Using Sugar Wax?
To wax, your legs with sugar wax, roll the sugar wax and apply it in the direction of hair growth. To remove the wax, pull the wax in the opposite direction. While applying the sugar wax, make sure that the wax is 1/8 inch thick.
It is recommended to do a patch test, so apply sugar wax on a small area to see whether you can tolerate it or not.
Care To Take After Sugar Wax
You need to take care of certain things after wax to make sure you enjoy smooth skin. Coconut oil is great for both hair and skin. You can use coconut oil on the skin after sugaring. Coconut oil offers high moisturization to the skin. It also contains antibacterial and antiseptic properties that are good for the skin. It helps in offering relief from irritated skin and also reduces skin redness.
Is Sugaring Less Painful Than Waxing?
As compared to normal traditional waxing, sugar waxing is less painful, though it is not pain-free. Waxing removes your hair from its roots, so it can never be pain-free. The benefit of using sugar wax is that it sticks to the hair and does not stick to the skin, which causes less pain.
Is Sugar Waxing Safe?
Sugar waxing contains all-natural ingredients, and this makes it a safe option to use on the skin. Sugar wax is gentle on the skin, which makes it a safe option. Make sure that you do not use it straight away, as there is a risk of getting scalded.
Sugar Wax Lasts For How Long?
Sugar waxing lasts for 3- 4 weeks, giving you smooth, soft, and hair-free skin.
Are There Chances Of Ingrown Hair In Sugar Waxing?
Ingrown hairs are one of the common problems that are faced in the hair removal process. Though, in the case of sugar waxing, the chances of ingrown hair are less as it removes hair from roots and exfoliates the skin.
But you need to remember that ingrown hair is a problem usually faced in any situation. To reduce this, one can practice exfoliating the skin 2-3 days after sugar waxing. This will help reduce the issue of bumps on the skin.
Points To Consider
It would be best if you took care of some of the points to make your sugaring experience more effective.
- Let your hair grow about 1/4 inch before sugaring.
- Start using a loofah, sugar scrubbing, or any gentle exfoliation on your body three days before sugaring. This will help in removing any flakes and make the sugaring process smooth.
- Avoid any sweat sessions after sugaring as it can open pores and increase the chances of infection. So, within 24 hours of sugaring, avoid going to the sauna, working out, etc.
- Avoid using too much caffeine or alcohol before sugaring, as it makes you more prone to bleeding.
- Avoid using retinoid creams 1 to 2 days before sugaring.
- Avoid sun exposure before and after waxing for 2 days, as sugaring and sunburn do not go hand in hand.
- Avoid using any makeup products, lotions, and perfumes on your skin before or after sugaring.
- After 2 days of sugaring, gently exfoliate your skin.
Try this homemade wax instead of actual wax, and you will see the difference for yourself. Apply sugar wax onto your skin, and you are ready to experience less painful waxing. Sugar wax doesn't cause skin irritation or excess pain like waxing from traditional wax. Sugar wax need not be applied hot like other wax, though, experts say that the sugar wax should still be warm to spread over your skin easily, but it need not be as hot as the traditional wax.
Do give this recipe a try.
How do you make homemade sugar wax?
1 cup of white sugar, ¼ cup of lemon juice, and ¼ cup of water.
Instructions: In a saucepan add all the ingredients and bring it to boil. Once boiled, reduce the flame and shimmer for a few minutes until the desired consistency is achieved. Turn off the heat and allow the mixture to cool down. Store in an airtight container once completely cooled.
What ingredients are needed for sugar wax?
Sugar, water, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, tea tree essential oil are some of the ingredients that you will require to make sugar wax.
What is the ratio for sugar wax?
The general ration for sugar wax is 2:1 sugar to liquid ratio. This means that for 1 cup of sugar you need to add ¼ cup of water and ¼ cup of lemon juice.
Is sugaring as painful as waxing?
Sugaring is less painful as compared to traditional waxing.
Does sugaring stop hair growth?
No, it does not completely stop hair growth. But if you continue sugaring it will eventually reduce the hair growth, as in sugaring hair is pulled from roots.
- Victoria Lim, BS1; Brian J. Simmons, BS1; Eric L. Maranda, BS1; et al. (2016). Sugaring—Modern Revival of an Ancient Egyptian Technique for Hair Removal. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamadermatology/article-abstract/2527531.
- TANNIR, DANIA MD; LESHIN, BARRY MD. (2001). An Ancient Method of Hair Removal. https://journals.lww.com/dermatologicsurgery/Abstract/2001/03000/Sugaring__An_Ancient_Method_of_Hair_Removal.19.aspx.
- Best Candles For Meditation And Its Benefits
- Xanthan Gum On Skin – Is It Good Or Bad?
- Peppermint Oil For Lips – Get Plump Lips with Peppermint Balm
- Complete Guide on Rosemary Water | Homemade Rosemary Water for Hair Growth, Long and Healthy Hair
- Essential Oils To Boost Your Immune System Support
- 13 Top Essential Oils for Snoring | Snore Stop Essential Oil Recipe
- Vitamin C Pack For Face – Benefits and Homemade Recipe
- Coconut Oil Vs Olive Oil For Hair | Difference Between Olive Oil And Coconut Oil For Hair