Benefits Of Olive Oil For Chapped Lips, DIY Olive Oil Lip Balm | Is Olive Oil Good For Your Lips?
Cracked and dry lips look very bad on anyone. There are ample products available in the market that helps heal your chapped lips. There are a few lip balm options to select from the market. But they can be quite expensive and can also include chemicals. But what if there is an all-natural solution for your dry, chapped lips?
Olive oil is one such ingredient that can be used for dry lips. Olive oil is rich in vitamins and minerals and can help you achieve soft and supple lips (1). In this post; a detailed guide has been given related to olive oil and its usage for lips.
In the below post, the benefits of olive oil for lips, how to use olive oil, and DIY recipe has been discussed.
What Are The Benefits Of Olive Oil For Lips?
Olive oil is a natural emollient that can help soften and smooth the skin (2). When applied to the lips, it can help to hydrate and nourish dry, cracked, or chapped lips. Olive oil contains fatty acids that can penetrate the skin and help to lock in moisture.
Olive oil also contains vitamin E and polyphenols that help to soothe and protect the skin and leaves lips feeling soft and smooth.
Olive oil contains compounds such as oleocanthal and oleuropein that have anti-inflammatory properties (3). These compounds can help to reduce redness and irritation on the lips, making them less swollen and sore. They also help to reduce pain and discomfort caused due to chapped lips.
Olive oil is rich in antioxidants such as vitamin E and polyphenols (4). These antioxidants can help to protect the lips from free radicals. Free radicals can damage the skin and can cause fine lines, wrinkles, and other signs of aging. Antioxidants can neutralize free radicals and help prevent this damage, keeping the lips youthful and healthy.
In addition to its antioxidant properties, olive oil can help prevent the signs of aging on the lips. The fatty acids in olive oil can help to keep the skin on the lips plump and hydrated, reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. The vitamin E and polyphenols in olive oil protect the skin from UV rays, which leads to aging.
The natural fatty acids in olive oil can help to form a barrier on the lips that can protect them from environmental irritants and harmful UV rays. This barrier can help to keep the lips hydrated and prevent them from becoming dry or chapped. The antioxidants in olive help protect the lips from sun damage caused by UV rays, which can lead to sunburn and other forms of sun damage.
6. Soft Supple Lips
Olive oil is a natural emollient that makes lips soft and smooth. Applying olive oil on lips can help to hydrate and nourish dry, cracked, or chapped lips. Regular use of olive oil can result in soft and supple lips. This is because olive oil contains fatty acids that can penetrate the skin and help to lock in moisture.
7. Treats Darker Lips
Olive oil can also be beneficial for those with darker lips. Regular use of olive oil on lips can lighten and brighten the color of the lips over time. The antioxidants in olive oil, like vitamin E and polyphenols, can help lighten the lips' dark pigmentation. Additionally, olive oil's anti-inflammatory properties can help reduce redness and irritation on the lips, which can contribute to the appearance of darker lips. Though there are various factors that can cause darker lips, it's better to consult a dermatologist for an accurate diagnosis and treatment.
How To Use Olive Oil For Lips?
Follow the below steps to use olive oil for lips to make your lips soft and smooth:
Step 1: Clean Your Lips:
Cleanse your lips thoroughly before applying olive oil to your lips. You can do this by gently scrubbing your lips with the help of a soft-bristled toothbrush or a lip scrub. This will help in removing any dead skin cells and impurities, if any, and leave your lips clean and smooth.
Step 2: Apply The Oil:
Take a small amount of olive oil on your fingertips and apply it to your lips. Make sure to cover the entire surface of your lips with the oil.
Step 3: Massage The Oil:
Gently massage the oil into your lips using circular motions. This will help to improve circulation and promote the absorption of the oil into the skin.
Step 4: Leave The Oil On For A Few Minutes:
Leave the oil on your lips for a few minutes, or longer if desired, to allow it to fully penetrate the skin.
Step 5: Wipe Off Any Excess Oil:
After a few minutes, wipe off any excess oil from your lips using a soft cloth or tissue.
Step 6: Repeat As Needed:
Repeat this process as often as needed, especially during the night before going to bed, for the best results.
DIY Olive Oil Lip Balm And Scrubs Recipes For Lips
DIY Olive Oil Lip Balm Recipe Using Honey
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of beeswax
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 1-2 drops of any essential oil of your choice (optional)
- In a double boiler or a heat-proof glass container set over a pot of simmering water, melt the beeswax.
- Once the beeswax is melted, add the olive oil and honey and stir continuously to mix well all the ingredients.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and add 1-2 drops of essential oil if desired. Some of the essential oils that you can use are bergamot oil, ylang-ylang oil, lavender oil, orange oil, rose oil, etc.
- Pour this mixture into a small container or lip balm tube.
- Allow the balm to cool and solidify completely before using.
- To use, apply a small amount to your lips as needed.
DIY Olive Oil Lip Balm Recipe Using Vitamin E Oil
- 1 cup of virgin olive oil
- 2 oz. of beeswax pastilles
- 1 teaspoon of vitamin E oil
- 15 drops of essential oil (optional)
- Lip balm jar
- Take a double boiler and mix olive oil and beeswax and melt it. Stir continuously so that it does not burn.
- Add vitamin E oil to it once it is melted.
- Add essential oils if you want to, and stir well.
- Leave the lip balm overnight and let it set.
- Your olive oil lip balm is ready for use. You can apply this lip balm twice daily for the best results.
DIY Olive Oil Recipe For Your Lips Using Cayenne Pepper
- Virgin olive oil = 1 tablespoon
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- Add cayenne pepper to olive oil and mix well.
- Apply this mixture to your lips and gently massage your lips. Let it stay for a few minutes on the lips, and then wipe it off completely.
- Apply your favorite lip balm after that.
DIY Olive Oil Recipe With Beetroot For Red Lips
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of fresh beetroot paste
- 10 drops of virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- Mix fresh beetroot paste with sugar and make a nice blend.
- Add olive oil to this mixture and stir well.
- Scrub your lips using this mixture by gently massaging it.
- Keep it for a few minutes, and then rinse it off.
DIY Olive Oil Recipe With Aloe Vera
- 20 drops of extra virgin olive oil
- 10 drops of virgin coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of aloe vera gel
- In a glass jar, add aloe vera gel
- Add coconut oil and olive oil to the gel and mix well.
- Apply this mixture as a lip balm on your lips.
DIY Lemon And Olive Oil Recipe For Pink Lips
- Virgin olive oil 10 drops
- 10 drops of lemon juice
- 10 drops of sweet almond oil
- In a bowl, add lemon juice and sweet almond oil and mix well.
- Add olive oil to this, and apply this mixture to your lips.
- Leave it for 20 minutes on the lips, and then rinse it off using lukewarm water.
DIY Olive Oil And Sugar Recipe
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon virgin olive oil
- Take a bowl and mix all the ingredients very well.
- Massage your lips using this mixture. This acts as a great exfoliator.
- With the help of a warm washcloth, gently clean.
- Apply any lip balm after this.
You can use any of the above recipes based on your choice and preferences, which will work wonders for your lips. All these recipes can be used if your lips feel dry. It will moisturize your lips.
Olive oil is an excellent moisturizer and is a popular ingredient in many skin conditioning products. It can be used whenever your lips feel dry. You can use olive oil in the form of lip balm or petroleum jelly. Olive oil keeps your lips hydrated and moisturized for a longer period of time.
Is olive oil good for lips?
Yes, olive oil is highly hydrating and moisturising that can help heal your chapped dry lips. It also contains properties like anti-inflammatory and antioxidants that help make your lips soft and supple.
Can olive oil make lips pink?
Yes, massaging with olive oil improves blood circulation which makes your lips pink.
Can I leave olive oil on my lips overnight?
Yes, you can leave olive oil on your lips overnight.
Is olive oil good for lip wrinkles?
Olive oil contains vitamin E and antioxidants that fights free radicals and reduces fine lines and wrinkles.
- Review on Natural Lip Balm. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/301204451_Review_on_Natural_Lip_Balm
- Hand and Foot Moisturizers. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/9781444317657.ch17
- Rejuvenation Research. Nutraceutical Properties of Extra-Virgin Olive Oil: A Natural Remedy for Age-Related Disease? https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10.1089/rej.2013.1532
- Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications. (1998). Free Radical-Scavenging Properties of Olive Oil Polyphenols. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0006291X98987356
- Best Candles For Meditation And Its Benefits
- Xanthan Gum On Skin – Is It Good Or Bad?
- Peppermint Oil For Lips – Get Plump Lips with Peppermint Balm
- Complete Guide on Rosemary Water | Homemade Rosemary Water for Hair Growth, Long and Healthy Hair
- Essential Oils To Boost Your Immune System Support
- 13 Top Essential Oils for Snoring | Snore Stop Essential Oil Recipe
- Vitamin C Pack For Face – Benefits and Homemade Recipe
- Coconut Oil Vs Olive Oil For Hair | Difference Between Olive Oil And Coconut Oil For Hair