Coconut Oil For Skin Whitening: Benefits, And How To Use With DIY Recipes
Everyone loves flawless and white-looking skin, though skin color does not define beauty. But what if you wake up in the morning and see a bad tan? That would definitely disappoint you. There are a lot of treatments and expensive products that can help you get the desired white skin. But this might pick a hole in your pocket. Also, it includes a lot of chemicals that can pose many negative side effects on your skin.
But you don't have to worry; there is always an all-natural solution for many different skin issues. In order to get white skin, one of the best solutions that you can use is coconut oil. Coconut oil works for skin whitening. Coconut oil is a natural oil that has amazing skin and hair benefits. It is one of the most versatile products that can be used to treat many different skin issues.
There are many reasons why you can experience skin darkening, like long sun exposure, pollution, hormonal imbalances, dry skin, poor lifestyle and eating habits, using cosmetics excessively, etc. Whatever may be the reason, those tan and darkly pigmented skin is not liked by anyone.
In this post, the use of coconut oil has been discussed, which will help you achieve the desired white skin and get rid of dark patches, tan, or uneven skin tone. Coconut oil can help brighten your skin and give you clear, glowing skin.
Continue to read and learn about coconut oil, its benefits and how to use it, and DIY recipes that you can try for skin lightening and whitening.
What Are The Benefits Of Coconut Oil For Skin Whitening? | Is Coconut Oil Good For Skin?
There are many different benefits of coconut oil for skin whitening, some of which are presented below:
One of the greatest features of coconut oil is that it is a natural moisturizer that helps keep your skin hydrated for a long period of time. It also nourishes your skin deeply. This helps in dealing with the issue of dry skin. Reducing the issue of dry skin will help in reducing the appearance of dark spots and uneven skin tone. The moisturizing properties of coconut oil can help you get white, glowing skin.
Coconut oil contains antioxidants that help in protecting the skin from free radicals (1). This helps in improving the overall skin health and appearance of skin color and texture. The antioxidant properties protect skin cells from oxidative process and help reduce signs of aging.
3. Anti-Inflammatory Properties
Coconut oil also contains anti-inflammatory properties that help in soothing the skin and also calm irritated skin (2). Anti-inflammatory properties help in reducing skin inflammation and reduces dark spots. It deals with the issue of uneven skin tone and gives you flawless white skin.
4. Fights Signs of Aging
Coconut oil helps fight signs of aging like fine lines and wrinkles and creates a shield over the skin to protect it from oxidative stress. The main benefit of this is that it helps in slowing down the process of skin aging. Reduced fine lines and wrinkles also give a clear and glowing look.
5. Antimicrobial Properties
Coconut oil contains antimicrobial and antibacterial properties that help in treating any sort of skin infection. Coconut oil contains lauric, capric, and caprylic fatty acids that help in treating skin infections. This gives you clear white skin (3).
6. Helps Lighten The Skin
Coconut oil is a great product for skin lightening and skin whitening. It is rich in vitamin E, which helps in lightening skin tone. It helps even out the uneven skin tone giving you a white skin look. It reduces pigmentation, dark spots, and tan and brightens the skin (4).
7. Sun Protection
A lesser-known fact about coconut oil is that it also has natural sunscreen properties though very less powerful. Coconut oil help protect your skin against the sun's ultraviolet rays. As it gives very low protection, it is advised to use sunscreen in order to protect the skin against the sun.
How to use coconut oil on your face to whiten your skin? DIY coconut oil recipes
Coconut oil alone is sufficient to give you flawless, glowing, and white-looking skin. You can use coconut oil alone or can mix it with different ingredients to increase its benefits and get the desired white-looking skin. Coconut oil can be used in many different manners. Following are some of the DIY recipes and methods to use coconut oil for your skin and promote even skin tone.
# Using Coconut Oil Alone
- Wash your face using a mild cleanser and pat dry.
- Take cold pressed coconut oil in your palms and then warm it up a little
- Apply the coconut oil to your face or uneven-tone areas.
- Massage the skin for a few minutes and let the coconut oil absorb into the skin.
- Leave it overnight, and then the next morning, remove the rest of the oil and clean your face with the help of lukewarm water.
- Follow this routine every night before going to bed.
- You can repeat this process for 30 days or until you get the desired result.
This is one of the easiest ways to use coconut oil and make your skin complexion clear. You can use a small amount of coconut oil to lighten your skin tone.
# Coconut Oil And Turmeric For Skin Whitening
- Take a bowl and add 1 teaspoon of turmeric and add the appropriate amount of organic coconut oil and make a smooth paste.
- Apply this mixture all over your face and also cover the neck area.
- Massage with the help of your fingertips.
- Leave it on your skin for 15 to 20 minutes.
- With the help of plain water, wash your face and pat dry.
- You can use this mixture twice or thrice a week.
Turmeric contains an antioxidant called curcumin that controls melanin production in our body and thus helps whiten your skin (5). Turmeric also has anti-inflammatory properties that fight signs of aging, a major cause behind uneven skin tone.
It restricts premature aging of the skin. It also helps heal sun-damaged skin. Using turmeric with coconut oil on the skin surface helps in achieving the desired white skin.
# Coconut Oil, Raw Honey, And Lemon Juice For Skin Lightening
- Take a bowl and add 1 teaspoon of coconut oil, add 1 tablespoon of raw honey, and an adequate amount of fresh lemon juice in the bowl.
- Make a nice paste and apply it to the face and neck area.
- Leave this paste for 15 to 20 minutes, and then with the help of plain water, rinse it off.
- You can apply this mixture twice a week.
Raw honey is one of the best ingredients that you can add to get white and clear skin. Raw honey releases hydrogen peroxide, which is a natural bleach that helps in improving complexion and lightening your dark uneven skin tone.
Lemon juice in itself is a great solution for skin whitening. It is rich in vitamin C, which helps in improving complexion and manages melanin production. It also contains astringent properties that help in removing excess oil from the face and clear pores. It helps in reducing the appearance of marks and scars and also smoothens skin. Lemon juice and coconut oil are good for skin.
# Coconut Oil And Camphor
- Take a bowl and add 2 tablespoons of crushed camphor and 1 cup of coconut oil and mix well.
- Add this mixture to a glass bottle and shake the bottle thoroughly.
- Keep this bottle below direct sunlight to warm the oil, and then apply it on the affected area or the skin with discoloration.
- You can use this mixture daily until the desired outcome is achieved.
Camphor helps in increasing collagen in the skin and helps improve complexion. It also increases the elasticity of the skin and fights free radicals reducing signs of aging and thus improving skin complexion and texture. It is rich in antioxidant properties that help in achieving glowing skin. Camphor also helps in treating many different skin conditions.
# Coconut Oil And Oats For Improving Skin Complexion
- Take 2 tablespoons of oats and grind it to make oats powder.
- Take it out in a bowl and add the appropriate quantity of coconut oil to it.
- Apply this mixture on your face and neck and then gently massage it in a circular motion with the help of your fingertips.
- Leave it for 15 to 20 minutes, and then rinse it off.
- You can apply this mixture thrice weekly.
Oatmeal contains properties that help whiten skin tone. It contains saponin that helps cleanse the skin deeply and helps release toxins from the skin, giving you clear, glowing skin. Oatmeal also exfoliates the skin and helps manage sebum production. This mixture can help you get that spotless clear skin.
# Coconut Oil And Rice Flour Paste
- In a bowl, add 1 tablespoon of rice flour and add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil or as appropriate and mix it gently to make a paste.
- Apply this paste on your face and neck or any other dark skin area, like elbows, knees, ankles, etc.
- Massage the area gently for a few minutes in a circular motion using your fingertips.
- Leave this mixture for 10 to 15 minutes and then wash it with the help of plain water.
- You can apply this mixture thrice a week.
Rice flour helps in removing layers of dead skin cells and impurities (6). It is a great ingredient that can help improve complexion. Rice flour contains vitamin B, which promotes new cell generation.
It also manages collagen production in the skin and controls the production of melanin within the body. Rice flour is one of the best ingredients that help in removing sun tan and other sun damage and gives you flawless skin,
# Coconut Oil And Aloe Vera
- In a bowl, add 2 tablespoons of aloe vera and 1 tablespoon of organic coconut oil.
- Apply this mixture on your face and neck and massage gently.
- Leave it for 5 to 10 minutes, and then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Follow up with a skin moisturizer.
- You can use this daily.
Aloe vera is one of the best ingredients that one can use to get clear and white skin. Aloe vera is rich in vitamins and minerals that can help lighten skin. It also promotes new skin cell generation and helps remove dead skin and other impurities. Aloe vera and coconut oil are the best moisturizing agents (7).
# Coconut Oil And Yogurt To Lighten Skin
- In a bowl, take 2 tablespoons of unflavored yogurt and whisk it with the help of a fork.
- Add 1 tablespoon of virgin coconut oil to this mixture and mix well.
- Apply it on the face and neck and gently massage for a few minutes by using your fingertips.
- Leave it for 15 to 20 minutes, and then rinse it off.
- You can apply this mixture twice or thrice a week.
Yogurt acts as a natural bleach, and its regular use can help lighten skin discoloration. Yogurt contains lactic acid, which helps exfoliate the skin and helps remove dead skin cells, thus making your skin look clear and spotless. It also manages melanin production and improves complexion. It is rich in vitamin B, which helps in improving skin color and texture.
Apart from the above recipes, you can also use coconut oil along with grapeseed oil, shea butter, beeswax, etc., to improve your skin texture and color.
What Are The Possible Side Effects Of Using Coconut Oil On The Skin?
- Coconut oil has a high comedogenic property that can clog pores. Due to this reason, there are chances of a breakout in the future.
- So to avoid this, it is recommended to do a patch test around your jawline. If for 2-3 days you do not see any such breakouts or other reactions, then you are good to go and apply it on your face.
- If you have oily skin, then the use of coconut oil can lead to blackheads, whiteheads, and pimples.
- Someone allergic to coconut water and coconut milk should avoid using coconut oil as it can lead to adverse effects.
- It is recommended to use pure coconut oil without any preservatives or fragrances, as it can irritate your skin.
- Avoid using coconut oil if you have acne-prone skin.
You can use coconut oil for skin lightening as it works best for improving skin complexion. You can massage your skin with coconut oil to make your skin clear, spotless, and glowing. Coconut oil can do wonders when it comes to skin and hair care. There are many natural skin whiteners, like coconut oil, yogurt, honey, lemon juice, aloe vera, turmeric, etc., that help reduce the darkening of the skin by reaching deep into the skin layers.
These ingredients can easily penetrate into the skin. Always remember to use pure coconut oil for skin or certified organic coconut oil to avoid any allergic reactions or skin irritation. Coconut oil is one of the best ingredients that can help you achieve lighter skin.
How to use coconut oil for whitening skin?
Coconut oil can be applied directly on the skin to whiten skin, or it can be used with other skin whiteners like yogurt, turmeric, honey, lemon juice, oats, rice flour, aloe vera, camphor, etc.
How long does coconut oil take to lighten skin?
Coconut oil takes at least one month to lighten skin.
Does coconut oil make skin glow?
Yes, coconut oil has properties that helps improve skin elasticity, adds moisture to the skin, fights signs of aging, and rejuvenates the natural glow of the skin.
Is it OK to use coconut oil on face everyday?
Yes, you can use coconut oil daily on your face, though it is recommended to wash your face after keeping it for 20 to 25 minutes as it has high comedogenic properties.
- Trends in Food Science & Technology. (2009) Virgin coconut oil: emerging functional food oil. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0924224409002052
- Pharmaceutical Biology. (2010). Anti-inflammatory, analgesic, and antipyretic activities of virgin coconut oil. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.3109/13880200903062614
- Fabian M. Dayrit. Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society. (2015) The Properties of Lauric Acid and Their Significance in Coconut Oil. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11746-014-2562-7
- Lindsey K. Elmore. Natural Medicine Journal. (2014). Treatment of Dermal Infections With Topical Coconut Oil. https://www.naturalmedicinejournal.com/journal/treatment-dermal-infections-topical-coconut-oil
- EXTRA VIRGIN COCONUT OIL (EVCO): NATURAL SKIN LIGHTENING ENHANCER WITH CURCUMIN. https://www.actahort.org/books/1047/1047_25.htm
- Feasibility of Papaya Seeds and Rice Flour as Traditional Scrubs for Dry Skin. http://jitrk.ppj.unp.ac.id/index.php/jitrk/article/view/107
- The Pharma Innovation Journal. (2020). Development of virgin coconut oil based body lotion. https://www.thepharmajournal.com/archives/2020/vol9issue5/PartB/9-4-89-214.pdf
- Best Candles For Meditation And Its Benefits
- Xanthan Gum On Skin – Is It Good Or Bad?
- Peppermint Oil For Lips – Get Plump Lips with Peppermint Balm
- Complete Guide on Rosemary Water | Homemade Rosemary Water for Hair Growth, Long and Healthy Hair
- Essential Oils To Boost Your Immune System Support
- 13 Top Essential Oils for Snoring | Snore Stop Essential Oil Recipe
- Vitamin C Pack For Face – Benefits and Homemade Recipe
- Coconut Oil Vs Olive Oil For Hair | Difference Between Olive Oil And Coconut Oil For Hair