13 Amazing Essential Oils For Dandruff | Anti-Dandruff Essential Oils Remedies
Dandruff can be more daunting than anything else. It can stop you from wearing your favorite little black dress and can even force you to wear your hair the way you don’t want to because you are scared the flakes on your scalp will show. While you can manage this unnerving problem in a number of ways, one of the best ways to tackle this issue is to use essential oils.
Dandruff might not be a very serious problem on its own, but one that is difficult to manage and treat. In this article, we will talk about the best essential oils that you can use to significantly reduce dandruff.(1) and get healthy hair.
Why Essential Oils Are Good For Dandruff?
Essential oils are sourced from plants and its parts and thus possess various benefits in itself. Essential oils contain properties that are antifungal in nature and therefore keep dandruff at bay. Many anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties are found in essential oils that can provide relief from itchy scalp and other related conditions. Essential oils also help moisture the scalp and maintain its heath.
Best Essential Oils for Dandruff
1. Tea Tree Essential Oil
Being rich in antibacterial and antifungal properties, tea tree oil is the holy grail when it comes to scalp related problems(2).Tea tree reduces the growth of the catalyst that contributes to the formation of dandruff in the hair, thus controlling and preventing it. Since essential oils should never be used by themselves, you can mix a few drops of this essential oil with a carrier oil such as coconut oil or jojoba oil before applying directly to the scalp. You can either mix it with a shampoo or can simply apply it on dry hair, the choice is yours. The ideal time for which you should leave this mixture in your hair can range anywhere from 15-30 minutes. Applying it twice a week should help, depending on your hair type.(3)
2. Bergamot Essential Oil
Sometimes dirt and bacteria can be the cause of the yellow-ish flaky dandruff that’s leaving a white trail behind you. Not using the right hair care products, or not doing any hair care at all, can lead to clogged pores which in turn can lead to dandruff. This oil has a very uplifting and refreshing aroma which makes it ideal for everyday use. Although bergamot essential oil is mostly used to manage and treat symptoms of anxiety and stress, this essential oil can help you get rid of any impurities of the scalp too; just add a few drops into your shampoo or conditioner and you’ll be good to go!(4)
3. Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint oil has been used for muscle pains, joint pains, to relieve stress and anxiety, for digestive issues as well as for skin problems. It is also used to treat itchiness, and dandruff often makes the scalp itchy. One of the best known remedies for dandruff is peppermint essential oil. Due to its anti-inflammatory nature, peppermint oil helps in reducing the itchiness and dryness of the scalp, thus helping control dandruff. It helps to control the excess oil formation that can lead to clogged pored. The cooling property of peppermint essential oil helps relax and soothe the head as well.
Mix 2-3 drops of this oil into your shampoo and rinse your hair as usual. Apply thrice a week for best results.(5)
4. Lemon Essential Oil
Due to its anti-microbial and anti-oxidant properties, it makes the scalp healthy and dandruff-free. Its anti-inflammatory characteristics, it reduces itchiness of the scalp and prevents flakes.
Mix 2-3 drops of this essential oil with a carrier oil like coconut oil or jojoba oil and massage gently into the scalp till it is fully absorbed. Leave it overnight and wash it the next morning for best results.
5. Cedarwood Essential Oil
Derived from various parts of the cedarwood trees, this essential oil is antiseptic and antifungal in nature. This essential oil is often used to treat flaky scalp. Due to its cleansing nature, cedarwood essential oil can be used to purify the scalp and get rid of dandruff and flakes. Cedarwood essential oil also has anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce dandruff significantly.(5) Mix a few drops of this essential oil with your shampoo or a carrier oil and massage well into your scalp for 15-20 minutes. Wash off. Use twice or thrice a week for effective results. You can also mix it with a carrier oil and leave it on your hair overnight.
6. Frankincense Essential Oil
Frankincense is a natural anti-inflammatory agent and has a woody smell to it. This essential oil will not only help you deal with dandruff, but also a dry scalp. This essential oil will help regulate the scalp’s moisture levels and help oxygenate it. Frankincense should be mixed with a carrier oil and massaged into the scalp gently. It should be used thrice a week until the dandruff subsides completely. The aroma of frankincense will help you relax as well.
It will clean out the impurities of the scalp and make it fresh and healthy.
7. Geranium Essential Oil
Geranium essential oil is a widely used ingredient in many creams and lotions. It has various known health benefits. It is anti-inflammatory in nature and prevents dryness of the scalp. Geranium has healing properties that will not only maintain a healthy scalp, but will also help keep the hair roots clean and strong. This will help get rid of any dandruff and scalp impurities.(5) The aroma of this essential oil is sharp with minty undertones.
It should be mixed with a condition and should be left in the hair for 15-20 minutes, then rinsed.
8. Thyme Essential Oil
Thyme Essential Oil is known for its sweet and herbaceous aroma. The oil's antibacterial property aids in the treatment of dandruff and other scalp conditions. Because the oil is so potent, it should only be used occasionally. Even though dandruff is not dangerous or contagious, it can be challenging to treat. Using thyme essential oil is a great method of treating dandruff. It can not only be used in skincare, but can also be used to treat various infections of the scalp. Mix a few drops of this essential oil with apple cider vinegar and pour into a spray bottle. Spray directly into hair and scalp to get rid of dandruff.(4)
9. Lavender Essential Oil
Fungus causing dandruff can be kept at bay due to this oil antifungal properties. Lavender essential oil also has anti-inflammatory properties that can help control an itchy scalp (6). This oil has a sweet, floral smell and is globally renowned. Mix 4-5 drops of this essential oil with a few drops of coconut oil and massage into the scalp twice a week until the dandruff goes away completely.
10. Lemongrass Essential Oil
Use lemongrass essential oil overnight on your head to get rid of dandruff and itchy scalp (7). It is used in aromatherapy to treat various skin problems. You can also apply lemongrass essential oil by diluting it with a carrier oil like coconut oil or jojoba oil or by mixing it with your shampoo or conditioner.
11. Ginger Essential Oil
Ginger has several antibacterial and antiseptic qualities that help to clean your scalp and stop dandruff. Regularly massaging ginger essential oil onto your scalp can keep it clean and clear of dandruff (8). Mix 2-3 drops of this essential oil with a carrier oil and gently massage into your scalp. Repeat thrice a week until your head is free of dandruff flakes. Ginger has a strong, potent aroma and can help your mind and body relax.
12. Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Eucalyptus essential oil is known to possess antifungal, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that make it a healing and relaxing agent (9). Adding a few drops of this essential oil to your favourite carrier oil and massaging it into the scalp can help decrease dandruff significantly and help get rid of itchy scalp.
13. Rosemary Essential Oil
This essential oil has a woody aroma and is known to contain many medicinal properties. It is often used as a hair booster as it contains qualities that promote the growth of hair. Consistent use of rosemary essential oil decreases itching of the scalp (10).Rosemary essential oil can be mixed with carrier oils like coconut oil and massaged into dry or wet hair. To avoid excessive build up of oil, dandruff and flakes, use this oil on your scalp twice a week until dandruff subsides.(8)
This essential oil has the ability to get rid of any fungus in the hair due to its anti-fungal properties. This oil has a citrus like herbaceous scent.
Best Essential Oils Recipes for Dandruff
DIY Recipe for dandruff
This mask will help you clear dandruff with its great essential oil blends. These essential oils have soothing aromas that will also help you relax your body and mind.
- 8 drops thyme
- 8 drops rosemary
- 8 drops lavender
- 1 teaspoon olive carrier
- 1 teaspoon honey
Massage into the scalp thoroughly and allow it to sit for 15-20 minutes. Rinse.
DIY Recipe for dandruff and itchy scalp
This mask will not only help you clear dandruff but will also help you get rid of an itchy scalp.
- 8 drops eucalyptus
- 8 drops tea tree
- 8 drops thyme
Mix into your shampoo and apply to your hair. Rinse.
DIY Recipe for dandruff and impurities
This mask will purify your scalp and help get rid of any dandruff.
- 8 drops cedarwood
- 9 drops lemongrass
Mix it with your conditioner and apply in your hair. Rinse.
Safety And Concerns
Some essential oils are stronger than others, and therefore might not suit every individual. Stop using these oils in the following cases:
- Asthma attacks
- Skin irritations or burns
- Allergic reactions
- Stinging sensations
Research has shown that the above listed essential oils have been effective in controlling dandruff. However, it is always suggested you talk to a medical professional before incorporating any into your routine. It is advised to start with small amounts so as to not aggravate your dandruff or ruin your hair quality. You should always do a patch test before you start to test for irritation and allergies.
Which essential oil is best for dandruff?
Tea tree essential oil has antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties that reduces the growth of the yeast that initiates the formation of dandruff, hence controlling and decreasing it.
What oils can I mix for dandruff?
The best oil mix for dandruff is tea tree, peppermint, lavender and thyme.
- Journal of Ethnopharmacology. Volume 249, 1 March 2020, 112376. Antifungal activity of different essential oils against Malassezia pathogenic species. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0378874119322883.
- Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. Volume 47, Issue 6, December 2002, Pages 852-855. Treatment of dandruff with 5% tea tree oil shampoo. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0190962202003134.
- Tariq Mahmood University of Central Punjab. (2021). Formulation and In Vitro Characterization of Tea Tree Oil Anti-Dandruff Shampoo. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/355183776_Formulation_and_In_Vitro_Characterization_of_Tea_Tree_Oil_Anti-Dandruff_Shampoo.
- Kumari, KM U.; Yadav, Narayan Prasad; Luqman, Suaib. (2022). Promising Essential Oils/Plant Extracts in the Prevention and Treatment of Dandruff Pathogenesis. https://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/ben/ctmc/2022/00000022/00000013/art00006.
- Yuk, Young Sam. (2022). Function of Blending Essential Oil in the Development of Anti-Dandruff Products. https://www.earticle.net/Article/A417054.
- International Journal of Aromatherapy. Volume 8, Issue 4, 1998, Pages 30-40. Essential oils with high antimicrobial activity for therapeutic use. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0962456298800799.
- Chaisripipat · Lourith · Kanlayavattanakul. (2015). Anti-dandruff Hair Tonic Containing Lemongrass (Cymbopogon flexuosus) Oil. https://www.karger.com/Article/Abstract/432407.
- Jain, Shagun; Arora, Poonam; Nainwal, Lalit M.. (2022). Essential Oils as Potential Source of Anti-dandruff Agents: A Review. https://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/ben/cchts/2022/00000025/00000009/art00003.
- Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Disease. Volume 2, Supplement 2, 2012, Pages S715-S719. Studies on the antidandruff activity of the essential oil of coleus amboinicus and eucalyptus globulus. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S2222180812602503.
- Yunes Panahi, Mohsen Taghizadeh, Eisa Tahmasbpour Marzony, Amirhossein Sahebkar. (2015). Rosemary oil vs minoxidil 2% for the treatment of androgenetic alopecia: a randomized comparative trial. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25842469/.
- Best Candles For Meditation And Its Benefits
- Xanthan Gum On Skin – Is It Good Or Bad?
- Peppermint Oil For Lips – Get Plump Lips with Peppermint Balm
- Complete Guide on Rosemary Water | Homemade Rosemary Water for Hair Growth, Long and Healthy Hair
- Essential Oils To Boost Your Immune System Support
- 13 Top Essential Oils for Snoring | Snore Stop Essential Oil Recipe
- Vitamin C Pack For Face – Benefits and Homemade Recipe
- Coconut Oil Vs Olive Oil For Hair | Difference Between Olive Oil And Coconut Oil For Hair