13 Amazing Essential Oils For Dandruff | Anti-Dandruff Essential Oils Remedies
Dandruff can be more daunting than anything else. It can stop you from wearing your favorite little black dress and can even force you to wear your hair the way you don’t want to because you are scared the flakes on your scalp will show. While you can manage this unnerving problem in a number of ways, one of the best ways to tackle this issue is to use essential oils.
Dandruff might not be a very serious problem on its own, but one that is difficult to manage and treat. In this article, we will talk about the best essential oils that you can use to significantly reduce dandruff.(1) and get healthy hair.
Why Essential Oils Are Good For Dandruff?
Essential oils are sourced from plants and its parts and thus possess various benefits in itself. Essential oils also help moisture the scalp and maintain its heath.
Best Essential Oils for Dandruff
1. Tea Tree Essential Oil
Tea tree oil is the holy grail when it comes to scalp related problems(2).Tea tree reduces the growth of the catalyst that contributes to the formation of dandruff in the hair, thus controlling and preventing it. Since essential oils should never be used by themselves, you can mix a few drops of this essential oil with a carrier oil such as coconut oil or jojoba oil before applying directly to the scalp.
You can either mix it with a shampoo or can simply apply it on dry hair, the choice is yours. The ideal time for which you should leave this mixture in your hair can range anywhere from 15-30 minutes. Applying it twice a week should help, depending on your hair type.(3)
2. Bergamot Essential Oil
Sometimes dirt and bacteria can be the cause of the yellow-ish flaky dandruff that’s leaving a white trail behind you. Not using the right hair care products, or not doing any hair care at all, can lead to clogged pores which in turn can lead to dandruff. This oil has a very uplifting and refreshing aroma which makes it ideal for everyday use.
3. Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint oil has been used for muscle pains, joint pains, to relieve stress and anxiety, for digestive issues as well as for skin problems. It is also used to treat itchiness, and dandruff often makes the scalp itchy. One of the best known remedies for dandruff is peppermint essential oil. It helps to control the excess oil formation that can lead to clogged pores. The cooling property of peppermint essential oil helps relax and soothe the head as well.
Mix 2-3 drops of this oil into your shampoo and rinse your hair as usual. Apply thrice a week for best results.(5)
4. Lemon Essential Oil
It contains properties that reduce itchiness of the scalp and prevent flakes.
Mix 2-3 drops of this essential oil with a carrier oil like coconut oil or jojoba oil and massage gently into the scalp till it is fully absorbed. Leave it overnight and wash it the next morning for best results.
5. Cedarwood Essential Oil
This essential oil is often used to treat flaky scalp. Due to its cleansing nature, cedarwood essential oil can be used to purify the scalp and get rid of dandruff and flakes. (5) Mix a few drops of this essential oil with your shampoo or a carrier oil and massage well into your scalp for 15-20 minutes. Wash off. Use twice or thrice a week for effective results. You can also mix it with a carrier oil and leave it on your hair overnight.
6. Frankincense Essential Oil
This essential oil will not only help you deal with dandruff, but also a dry scalp. This essential oil will help regulate the scalp’s moisture levels and help oxygenate it. Frankincense should be mixed with a carrier oil and massaged into the scalp gently. It should be used thrice a week until the dandruff subsides completely. The aroma of frankincense will help you relax as well.
It will clean out the impurities of the scalp and make it fresh and healthy.
7. Geranium Essential Oil
Geranium essential oil is a widely used ingredient in many creams and lotions. It has various known health benefits. Geranium has healing properties that will not only maintain a healthy scalp, but will also help keep the hair roots clean and strong. This will help get rid of any dandruff and scalp impurities.(5) The aroma of this essential oil is sharp with minty undertones.
It should be mixed with a condition and should be left in the hair for 15-20 minutes, then rinsed.
8. Thyme Essential Oil
Thyme Essential Oil is known for its sweet and herbaceous aroma. Because the oil is so potent, it should only be used occasionally. Even though dandruff is not dangerous or contagious, it can be challenging to treat. Using thyme essential oil is a great method of treating dandruff. It can not only be used in skincare, but can also be used to treat various infections of the scalp. Mix a few drops of this essential oil with apple cider vinegar and pour into a spray bottle. Spray directly into hair and scalp to get rid of dandruff.(4)
9. Lavender Essential Oil
This oil has a sweet, floral smell and is globally renowned. Mix 4-5 drops of this essential oil with a few drops of coconut oil and massage into the scalp twice a week until the dandruff goes away completely.
10. Lemongrass Essential Oil
Use lemongrass essential oil overnight on your head to get rid of dandruff and itchy scalp (7). It is used in aromatherapy to treat various skin problems. You can also apply lemongrass essential oil by diluting it with a carrier oil like coconut oil or jojoba oil or by mixing it with your shampoo or conditioner.
11. Ginger Essential Oil
Regularly massaging ginger essential oil onto your scalp can keep it clean and clear of dandruff (8). Mix 2-3 drops of this essential oil with a carrier oil and gently massage into your scalp. Repeat thrice a week until your head is free of dandruff flakes. Ginger has a strong, potent aroma and can help your mind and body relax.
12. Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Adding a few drops of this essential oil to your favourite carrier oil and massaging it into the scalp can help decrease dandruff significantly and help get rid of itchy scalp.
13. Rosemary Essential Oil
This essential oil has a woody aroma and is known to contain many properties. It is often used as a hair booster as it contains qualities that promote the growth of hair. Consistent use of rosemary essential oil decreases itching of the scalp (10).Rosemary essential oil can be mixed with carrier oils like coconut oil and massaged into dry or wet hair. To avoid excessive build up of oil, dandruff and flakes, use this oil on your scalp twice a week until dandruff subsides.(8)
Best Oil For Scalp Itching
If you're experiencing scalp itching, several oils can help soothe the irritation and provide relief. We have mentioned above most of the essential oils that can soothe the scalp and act against dandruff. But if you are caught in a conundrum and have to choose the best oil, which one would it be?
One of the most commonly recommended oils for this purpose is tea tree oil. Tea tree oil has natural antifungal and antibacterial properties that can address underlying causes of itching, such as fungal infections or dandruff. Dilute a few drops of tea tree oil in a carrier oil, like coconut or jojoba oil, and gently massage it into your scalp. Leave it on for about 15-20 minutes (or overnight) before shampooing to help reduce itching.
Another universal option is lavender oil, known for its calming and anti-inflammatory properties. The essential oil of lavender is versatile and usually the go-to oil. It is also one of the best oils for dry scalp. Diluted lavender oil can be applied to the scalp to reduce itching and promote relaxation.
Remember to always dilute essential oils properly and perform a patch test on a small area of your skin to ensure you don't have any adverse reactions. If the itching persists or worsens, consult a dermatologist or healthcare professional for proper diagnosis and treatment.
Best Oil To Prevent Dandruff
Preventing dandruff and alleviating an itchy scalp can be effectively addressed with various oils, including essential oils. One of the standout essential oils for dandruff prevention is tea tree oil (yet again). Its potent health-related properties make it highly effective in combating the underlying causes of dandruff, including fungal infections.
To use tea tree oil for dandruff, mix a few drops of this oil with a carrier oil, like coconut or olive oil, and gently massage it into your scalp. Leave it on for 15-20 minutes before shampooing to help eliminate dandruff and soothe itching.
Another essential oil that can work well for dandruff prevention is rosemary oil, is up there in popularity as lavender oil. Rosemary oil stimulates blood circulation in the scalp when massaged, which can promote a healthier scalp environment, moisturize and reduce flakiness. It also has natural antibacterial properties that can help keep dandruff-causing microbes in check with regular use.
Mix a few drops of rosemary oil with a carrier oil and apply it to your scalp regularly. Consistency is key in preventing dandruff, so incorporating these essential oils into your hair care routine can help maintain a dandruff-free and itch-free scalp. Peppermint oil for dandruff is also good choice as it moisturises the scalp and prevents flakiness. It is popularly used as peppermint oil for itchy scalp as it has a cooling effect when applied on the scalp, which may reduce itchiness.
Best Essential Oils Recipes for Dandruff
Recipe #1 - DIY Recipe for Dandruff
This mask will help you clear dandruff with its great essential oil blends. These essential oils have soothing aromas that will also help you relax your body and mind.
- 8 drops thyme
- 8 drops rosemary
- 8 drops lavender
- 1 teaspoon olive carrier
- 1 teaspoon honey
Massage into the scalp thoroughly and allow it to sit for 15-20 minutes. Rinse.
Recipe #2 - DIY Recipe for Dandruff and Itchy Scalp
This mask will not only help you clear dandruff but will also help you get rid of an itchy scalp.
- 8 drops eucalyptus
- 8 drops tea tree
- 8 drops thyme
Mix into your shampoo and apply to your hair. Rinse.
Recipe #3 - DIY Recipe for Dandruff and Impurities
This mask will purify your scalp and help get rid of any dandruff.
- 8 drops cedarwood
- 9 drops lemongrass
Mix it with your conditioner and apply in your hair. Rinse.
Safety And Concerns
Some essential oils are stronger than others, and therefore might not suit every individual. Stop using these oils in the following cases:
- Asthma attacks
- Skin irritations or burns
- Allergic reactions
- Stinging sensations
Research has shown that the above listed essential oils have been effective in controlling dandruff. However, it is always suggested you talk to a medical professional before incorporating any into your routine. It is advised to start with small amounts so as to not aggravate your dandruff or ruin your hair quality. You should always do a patch test before you start to test for irritation and allergies.
Which essential oil is best for dandruff?
Tea tree essential oil has properties that reduce the growth of the yeast that initiates the formation of dandruff, hence controlling and decreasing it.
What oils can I mix for dandruff?
The best oil mix for dandruff is tea tree, peppermint, lavender and thyme.
- Journal of Ethnopharmacology. Volume 249, 1 March 2020, 112376. Antifungal activity of different essential oils against Malassezia pathogenic species. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0378874119322883.
- Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. Volume 47, Issue 6, December 2002, Pages 852-855. Treatment of dandruff with 5% tea tree oil shampoo. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0190962202003134.
- Tariq Mahmood University of Central Punjab. (2021). Formulation and In Vitro Characterization of Tea Tree Oil Anti-Dandruff Shampoo. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/355183776_Formulation_and_In_Vitro_Characterization_of_Tea_Tree_Oil_Anti-Dandruff_Shampoo.
- Kumari, KM U.; Yadav, Narayan Prasad; Luqman, Suaib. (2022). Promising Essential Oils/Plant Extracts in the Prevention and Treatment of Dandruff Pathogenesis. https://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/ben/ctmc/2022/00000022/00000013/art00006.
- Yuk, Young Sam. (2022). Function of Blending Essential Oil in the Development of Anti-Dandruff Products. https://www.earticle.net/Article/A417054.
- International Journal of Aromatherapy. Volume 8, Issue 4, 1998, Pages 30-40. Essential oils with high antimicrobial activity for therapeutic use. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0962456298800799.
- Chaisripipat · Lourith · Kanlayavattanakul. (2015). Anti-dandruff Hair Tonic Containing Lemongrass (Cymbopogon flexuosus) Oil. https://www.karger.com/Article/Abstract/432407.
- Jain, Shagun; Arora, Poonam; Nainwal, Lalit M.. (2022). Essential Oils as Potential Source of Anti-dandruff Agents: A Review. https://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/ben/cchts/2022/00000025/00000009/art00003.
- Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Disease. Volume 2, Supplement 2, 2012, Pages S715-S719. Studies on the antidandruff activity of the essential oil of coleus amboinicus and eucalyptus globulus. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S2222180812602503.
- Yunes Panahi, Mohsen Taghizadeh, Eisa Tahmasbpour Marzony, Amirhossein Sahebkar. (2015). Rosemary oil vs minoxidil 2% for the treatment of androgenetic alopecia: a randomized comparative trial. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25842469/.
- Benefits of Australian Sandalwood Essential Oil, Uses, and DIY Recipes
- Holiday Cheer Essential Oil Blends | Holiday Cheer Diffuser Recipes
- Bedtime Essential Oils Blend for Better Sleep | Best Essential Oils for Sleep
- What Does Sandalwood Smell Like? | Scent Profile of Sandalwood Oil | DIY Recipes and Benefits
- Euphoria Essential Oil Blend | Natural DIY Euphoric Blends
- Wintergreen Essential Oil: Uses, Benefits, & DIY Recipes
- Meditation Essential Oil Blend | DIY Recipe Blends for Meditation
- Aromatherapy from the Eastern Lands – Recipes for Japanese Uplifting Blend Essential Oils
- Indian Ayurvedic Blend Oil Recipes