Tangerine Essential Oil Uses And Benefits, DIY Recipes, Etc.
Tangerine essential oil is extracted from the tangerine peels of tangerine fruit which holds quite relevance in the Chinese cultural history. It has an uplifting and invigorating scent. Tangerine Essential Oil is a natural gem that's often used to boost both mood and well-being. Tangerine essential oil is also known to have many health and skin benefits.
In this article, we will know about tangerine essential oil in detail, its benefits, and how to use tangerine oil to boost overall health.
Health Benefits Of Tangerine Essential Oil
1. Boosts Immune System
Tangerine essential oil is rich in antioxidants, such as limonene, which help strengthen the immune system. Regular use can support the body in warding off infections and illnesses.
2. Alleviates Stress and Anxiety
The citrusy scent of tangerine essential oil has calming effects on the mind and body. Inhalation or diffusion can reduce stress, anxiety, and promote a sense of relaxation.
3. Aids Digestion
Tangerine oil stimulates the digestive system, helping to alleviate issues such as indigestion and bloating. It can be massaged onto the abdomen or ingested in small, controlled amounts after consulting with a healthcare professional.
4. Natural Detoxifier
The diuretic properties of tangerine essential oil promote detoxification by facilitating the elimination of toxins through urine. This can contribute to overall improved organ function and health.
5. Anti-inflammatory Properties
Tangerine essential oil contains anti-inflammatory compounds, aiding in reducing inflammation within the body. This can be beneficial for conditions like arthritis or muscle soreness.
Tangerine Essential Oil Benefits For Skin
1. Brightens Skin Tone
The high vitamin C content in tangerine essential oil helps in brightening the skin, reducing dark spots, and promoting an even skin tone.
2. Treats Acne
Tangerine oil's antimicrobial properties make it effective against acne-causing bacteria. Diluted application can help in treating and preventing acne breakouts.
3. Anti-Aging Effects
The antioxidant-rich nature of tangerine oil fights free radicals, reducing the signs of aging such as fine lines and wrinkles. Regular use can contribute to a more youthful appearance.
4. Natural Skin Toner
Tangerine essential oil acts as a natural toner, tightening and firming the skin. It can be diluted with a carrier oil and applied to the face for a refreshing toning effect.
5. Calms Irritated Skin
The anti-inflammatory and soothing properties of tangerine oil make it suitable for calming irritated skin conditions like eczema or dermatitis. Diluted application can provide relief from itching and redness.
Hair Benefits Of Tangerine Oil
1. Promotes Hair Growth
Tangerine essential oil stimulates blood circulation in the scalp, promoting hair growth. It can be added to a carrier oil and massaged onto the scalp for improved hair follicle health.
2. Controls Dandruff
With its antifungal properties, tangerine oil helps combat dandruff and flakiness on the scalp. Regular application can lead to a healthier, dandruff-free scalp.
3. Adds Shine and Luster
Tangerine essential oil can be mixed with a mild shampoo to enhance the shine and luster of the hair. It helps in removing product buildup, leaving the hair looking vibrant and healthy.
4. Treats Oily Scalp
The astringent properties of tangerine oil regulate sebum production, making it an effective remedy for those with oily scalps. This can contribute to a balanced and healthier scalp environment.
5. Prevents Hair Loss
Tangerine oil strengthens hair strands, reducing the likelihood of breakage and hair loss. Regular use can fortify the hair, making it more resilient.
Different Ways To Use Tangerine Essential Oil
1. Aromatherapy and Diffusion
Utilizing tangerine essential oil in aromatherapy is one of the most popular and effective ways to experience its benefits. Add a few drops to an essential oil diffuser or vaporizer, allowing the sweet and citrusy aroma to permeate the air. This method not only creates a refreshing and uplifting ambiance but also helps alleviate stress, anxiety, and promotes mental clarity. The inhalation of tangerine oil can positively impact mood and create a sense of well-being.
2. Topical Application
Tangerine essential oil can be applied topically when properly diluted with a carrier oil, such as jojoba or sweet almond oil. This allows for a variety of uses, including massage, skincare, and targeted relief. When massaged onto the skin, it absorbs quickly, promoting improved circulation and delivering its beneficial compounds. It's important to conduct a patch test before widespread application to ensure there are no adverse reactions, and always follow recommended dilution ratios to prevent skin irritation.
3. In Bathwater
Transform your bath into a rejuvenating and aromatic experience by adding a few drops of tangerine essential oil to your bathwater. This not only imparts a delightful fragrance but also allows the oil to be absorbed through the skin, promoting relaxation and relieving muscle tension. Mixing it with Epsom salts enhances the therapeutic effects, making it an excellent option for a soothing soak after a long day.
4. DIY Massage Oil
Create a custom massage oil by blending tangerine essential oil with a carrier oil. This combination not only facilitates the smooth glide of hands during a massage but also delivers the oil's therapeutic benefits to the body. The calming and uplifting properties of tangerine oil make it an ideal choice for a relaxing massage that not only addresses physical tension but also promotes emotional well-being.
5. Homemade Cleaning Products
Harness the natural antimicrobial properties of tangerine essential oil by incorporating it into homemade cleaning products. Add a few drops to a DIY all-purpose cleaner to not only enhance the cleaning power but also infuse your living spaces with a fresh and invigorating scent. Tangerine oil's antibacterial and antiviral qualities make it an eco-friendly and health-conscious addition to your cleaning routine.
6. Scented Linens and Fabrics
Infuse a pleasant fragrance into your linens, fabrics, or even potpourri by adding a few drops of tangerine essential oil. Create sachets with dried herbs and a few drops of the oil to place in drawers or closets. Not only will this keep your linens smelling delightful, but it will also impart a subtle, uplifting aroma to your living spaces.
7. In Skincare Products
Enhance your skincare routine by incorporating tangerine essential oil into your favorite products. Add a drop or two to your facial moisturizer or body lotion to enjoy its brightening and rejuvenating effects on the skin. The oil's antioxidant properties can contribute to a healthier complexion by combating free radicals and promoting cellular renewal.
8. Culinary Use (Internally)
While essential oils are highly concentrated and should be used with caution internally, tangerine essential oil can be used sparingly in culinary applications. Add a drop to your water or tea for a burst of citrus flavor, or use it in recipes for desserts, marinades, or salad dressings. Always ensure the oil is labeled as safe for internal use, and consult with a healthcare professional before ingesting essential oils, especially if you have underlying health conditions or are pregnant.
9. Air Freshener Sprays
Create your own natural air freshener spray by combining tangerine essential oil with water in a spray bottle. Spritzing this mixture around your home not only eliminates unpleasant odors but also imparts a fresh and citrusy scent. This is a safer and chemical-free alternative to commercial air fresheners, making it suitable for those who prefer a natural and aromatic home environment.
Tangerine Essential Oil Blends Well With....
Tangerine essential oil possesses a delightful and citrusy aroma that blends harmoniously with a variety of other essential oils, creating unique and synergistic aromatic profiles. Here are some essential oils that pair exceptionally well with tangerine oil:
1. Lemon Essential Oil: Tangerine blends well with other citrus oils. Combining tangerine and lemon essential oils creates a vibrant and invigorating citrus blend. This pairing is uplifting and refreshing, making it ideal for diffusing in the morning to kickstart your day with a burst of energy.
2. Grapefruit Essential Oil: The sweet and tangy notes of grapefruit essential oil complement the bright aroma of tangerine, resulting in a citrusy symphony. This blend is not only refreshing but also promotes a positive and uplifting atmosphere.
3. Orange Essential Oil: Orange oil blends well with tangerine essential oil. Tangerine and orange essential oils share similar citrusy notes, creating a well-balanced and familiar fragrance. This combination is both comforting and energizing, making it suitable for diffusers or homemade cleaning products.
4. Lime Essential Oil: The addition of lime essential oil enhances the zesty and uplifting qualities of tangerine, creating a dynamic citrus fusion. This blend is invigorating and can be diffused to promote a lively and cheerful ambiance.
5. Bergamot Essential Oil: Combining tangerine with bergamot essential oil adds a touch of floral and slightly spicy notes to the citrus blend. This combination is both calming and uplifting, making it suitable for relaxation and stress relief.
6. Lavender Essential Oil: Lavender essential oil is a popular choice in skin care. Tangerine and lavender essential oils create a unique balance between citrusy and floral notes. This blend is soothing and can be diffused in the evening to promote relaxation and a peaceful sleep environment.
7. Peppermint Essential Oil: Mixing tangerine with peppermint essential oil results in a refreshing and invigorating combination. This blend is ideal for creating a focused and energized atmosphere, making it suitable for workspaces or study areas.
8. Ylang-Ylang Essential Oil: Combining the sweet and floral aroma of ylang-ylang with tangerine creates a beautifully balanced blend. This combination is both uplifting and relaxing, making it suitable for diffusing during self-care or meditation sessions.
9. Cedarwood Essential Oil: Tangerine essential oil pairs well with woody scents like cedarwood, creating a grounding and earthy fragrance. This blend is calming and can be diffused to create a warm and cozy atmosphere.
10. Vanilla Essential Oil: Mixing tangerine with vanilla essential oil adds a sweet and comforting undertone to the citrusy aroma. This combination is reminiscent of a creamsicle and can be used in DIY body scrubs, lotions, or diffused for a cozy and inviting ambiance.
DIY Tangerine Essential Oils Recipes
Recipe #1 - Energizing Morning Diffuser Blend Recipe
- 3 drops of Tangerine essential oil
- 2 drops of Orange essential oil
- 1 drop of Peppermint essential oil
- Add the specified drops of Tangerine, Orange, and Peppermint essential oils to your diffuser.
- Fill the diffuser with water according to its instructions.
- Turn on the diffuser and let the invigorating aroma fill your space.
How to Use: Diffuse this blend in the morning to kickstart your day with a burst of energy and mental clarity. The citrus oils, especially Tangerine, can help uplift your mood, while Peppermint adds a refreshing touch.
Benefits: The blend of citrus oils creates a stimulating environment, promoting focus and energizing your mind for the day ahead.
Recipe #2 - Uplifting Citrus Body Scrub
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup of fractionated coconut oil
- 10 drops of Tangerine essential oil
- 5 drops of Lemon essential oil
- In a bowl, mix the sugar and fractionated coconut oil until well combined.
- Add 10 drops of Tangerine essential oil and 5 drops of Lemon essential oil to the mixture.
- Stir thoroughly to create a fragrant and invigorating body scrub.
How to Use: Gently massage the scrub onto damp skin in circular motions, focusing on areas like elbows and knees. Rinse off with warm water. Use 2-3 times per week.
Benefits: The exfoliating action of the sugar combined with the citrus oils in the scrub helps rejuvenate the skin, leaving it soft and radiant. Tangerine oil can help uplift your mood during the pampering session.
Recipe #3 - Relaxing Tangerine Massage Oil
- 2 tablespoons of Jojoba oil
- 4 drops of Tangerine essential oil
- 2 drops of Lavender essential oil
- In a small bowl, mix the Jojoba oil with 4 drops of Tangerine essential oil and 2 drops of Lavender essential oil.
- Stir well to ensure even distribution of the essential oils in the carrier oil.
How to Use: Apply the massage oil to your skin before a relaxing massage. Focus on areas with tension or stress. Use this blend in the evening to unwind.
Benefits: The combination of Tangerine and Lavender creates a calming and soothing massage experience. Tangerine oil can help uplift your mood, while Lavender promotes relaxation.
Recipe #4 - Citrus Room Spray for a Fresh Home
- 1 cup of distilled water
- 2 tablespoons of vodka or witch hazel
- 15 drops of Tangerine oil
- 5 drops of Grapefruit essential oil
- In a spray bottle, combine the distilled water and vodka or witch hazel.
- Add 15 drops of Tangerine essential oil and 5 drops of Grapefruit essential oil.
- Shake well before each use.
How to Use: Spray this citrus room spray in your living spaces to freshen the air. Shake well before each use to disperse the essential oils evenly.
Benefits: Tangerine oil can help create a positive atmosphere, while Grapefruit adds a zesty and uplifting note, making your home smell clean and inviting.
Recipe #5 - Morning Citrus Boost Roller Blend
- 10 ml roller bottle
- 8 ml of fractionated coconut oil
- 1-2 drops of Tangerine essential oil
- 2 drops of Lemon essential oil
- 2 drops of Bergamot essential oil
- In a roller bottle, combine all the essential oils with fractionated coconut oil.
- Secure the roller ball and shake gently to mix the oils.
How to Use: Roll the blend onto your wrists, temples, or back of the neck in the morning for an invigorating and mood-boosting experience.
Benefits: This portable roller blend combines the uplifting properties of Tangerine, Lemon, and Bergamot essential oils to provide a refreshing and energizing aroma, perfect for a quick pick-me-up throughout the day.
Risks And Precautions Of Using Tangerine Essential Oil
1. Skin Sensitivity
Tangerine essential oil is generally safe for topical use when diluted properly. However, some individuals may experience skin sensitivity or irritation. It's crucial to perform a patch test by applying a small amount of diluted oil to a discreet area of skin before widespread use.
Like many citrus essential oils, tangerine essential oil can increase sensitivity to sunlight. Avoid direct exposure to the sun or UV rays for at least 12 hours after applying the oil topically to prevent skin irritation or sunburn. Consider using it in the evening or before bedtime to minimize the risk.
3. Quality Matters
Ensure you are using a high-quality tangerine essential oil from a reputable source. Poorly produced or adulterated oils may contain impurities that can cause adverse reactions. Look for oils that are labeled as pure and undergo third-party testing.
4. Topical Application
While applying tangerine essential oil topically, always dilute it with a carrier oil like jojoba oil. The recommended dilution ratio is generally 1-2 drops of tangerine oil per teaspoon of carrier oil. This helps reduce the risk of skin irritation and enhances the safe absorption of the oil.
5. Avoid Ingestion
Tangerine essential oil is concentrated, and ingestion is not recommended without proper guidance from a healthcare professional. Ingesting essential oils can lead to adverse effects, and it's crucial to recognize that the benefits can be achieved through other safe methods like diffusion or topical application.
6. Pregnancy and Medical Conditions
Individuals who are pregnant or have underlying health conditions should consult with a healthcare professional before using tangerine essential oil. Certain medical conditions or medications may interact with essential oils, and professional advice ensures safe usage.
7. Diffusing Safely
When diffusing essential oils, including tangerine, ensure the room is well-ventilated. Prolonged exposure to concentrated aromas may cause respiratory irritation in some individuals. Use the recommended number of drops in your diffuser, and be mindful of the duration.
8. Children and Pets
Exercise caution when using essential oils around children and pets. Tangerine essential oil, like other citrus oils, may be too strong for young children or sensitive pets. Consider using milder oils or diffuse in a well-ventilated area.
9. Allergic Reactions
Individuals with allergies to citrus fruits should be cautious when using tangerine essential oil. Allergic reactions can vary, so if you have known allergies, perform a patch test or consult with a healthcare professional before using the oil.
Extracted from the peels of the tangerine, this oil is not just a delightful fragrance; it's a powerhouse of well-being. Tangerine essential oil is often used to boost our mood and create a positive atmosphere. Enjoy all the benefits of this oil by diluting it with a carrier oil for topical application or use it in the form of tangerine essential oil diffuser. This oil is a powerful essential oi that can help alleviate your overall wellness.
What are the spiritual benefits of tangerine oil?
Tangerine essential oil helps boost enthusiasm and spirit. It helps promote mental clarity and also boosts focus and concentration. It has a grounding aroma that is quite useful during spiritual sessions.
What can you do with tangerine essential oil?
Tangerine oil can be used in aromatherapy by diffusing it to uplift and energize the atmosphere, promoting a positive and joyful ambiance. You can also dilute it with a carrier oil and apply to the skin for a bright and refreshing scent or potential mood-boosting benefits.
How do you make tangerine essential oil?
Peel Extraction: Collect tangerine peels and remove as much white pith as possible. Steam Distillation: Place the peels in a still or distillation apparatus. Steam is passed through the peels, extracting the oil. Condensation: The steam, now containing tangerine oil, is cooled and condensed. The oil separates from the water. Collection: The collected oil undergoes filtration to remove any impurities, resulting in tangerine essential oil.
Can I put tangerine essential oil in my hair?
Yes, you can put tangerine essential oil in your hair. Add a few drops of tangerine oil to the carrier oil and massage it into your scalp or mix it into your hair care products for a refreshing and aromatic experience.
Is tangerine essential oil good for cleaning?
Yes, tangerine essential oil is good for cleaning due to its pleasant citrusy scent and antimicrobial properties. You can add a few drops of tangerine oil to natural cleaning solutions to enhance the fragrance while benefiting from its antibacterial and antiviral qualities.
Is Tangerine oil good for your face?
Yes, tangerine oil is good for your face. It has a brightening and refreshing scent and contains antioxidants that may contribute to overall skin health. However, it's crucial to dilute tangerine oil with a suitable carrier oil before applying it to the face to avoid irritation.
Is Tangerine oil good for sleep?
Its uplifting and invigorating aroma may positively impact mood and relaxation and thus help you sleep faster. Some individuals find citrus scents, including tangerine, to be calming, which could indirectly contribute to a more restful sleep environment.
- Xiong, K. and Chen, Y., 2020. Supercritical carbon dioxide extraction of essential oil from tangerine peel: Experimental optimization and kinetics modelling. Chemical Engineering Research and Design, 164, pp.412-423. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0263876220304962
- Denkova-Kostova, R., Teneva, D., Tomova, T., Goranov, B., Denkova, Z., Shopska, V., Slavchev, A. and Hristova-Ivanova, Y., 2021. Chemical composition, antioxidant and antimicrobial activity of essential oils from tangerine (Citrus reticulata L.), grapefruit (Citrus paradisi L.), lemon (Citrus lemon L.) and cinnamon (Cinnamomum zeylanicum Blume). Zeitschrift für Naturforschung C, 76(5-6), pp.175-185. 1https://www.degruyter.com/document/doi/10.1515/znc-2020-0126/html
- Chandharakool, S., Koomhin, P., Sinlapasorn, J., Suanjan, S., Phungsai, J., Suttipromma, N., Songsamoe, S., Matan, N. and Sattayakhom, A., 2020. Effects of tangerine essential oil on brain waves, moods, and sleep onset latency. Molecules, 25(20), p.4865. https://www.mdpi.com/1420-3049/25/20/4865
- Chen, G., Xie, X., Peng, F., Wang, T., Chen, J., Li, G., Liu, J. and Peng, C., 2022. Protective effect of the combination of essential oil from patchouli and tangerine peel against gastric ulcer in rats. Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 282, p.114645. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378874121008746
- Żwawiak, J. and Zaprutko, L., 2022. Citrus peels in cosmetics. Journal of Face Aesthetics, 5(1), pp.33-42. https://jofa.ump.edu.pl/index.php/jofa/article/view/56
- Nurzyńska-Wierdak, R., Pietrasik, D. and Walasek-Janusz, M., 2022. Essential oils in the treatment of various types of acne—A review. Plants, 12(1), p.90. https://www.mdpi.com/2223-7747/12/1/90
- Neroli Essential Oil For Hair Growth: Benefits & Uses Of Neroli Oil For Hair
- Lavender Essential Oil For Scar Healing | Wound Healing Potential Of Lavender Oil
- Star Anise Essential Oil Guide: Uses, Benefits And DIY Recipes
- Best Essential Oils For Hay Fever | Essential Oils For Seasonal Allergies
- Tea Tree Oil Vs Argan Oil: Find Which One Is Better For Hair
- Best Essential Oils For Grey Hair | Treat Premature Greying Of Hair Naturally Using Essential Oils
- Best Essential Oils For Gardening | How To Use Essential Oils In The Garden For Pest Control
- Essential Oils Guide For Beginners: Everything You Need To Know & How To Use Essential Oils
- Essential Oils For Whiteheads | Best Essential Oils For Acne