Citrus Sunshine - Refreshing DIY Recipes with Citrus Essential Oils
What Are Citrus Essential Oils And Where Are They Derived From?
Citrus essential oils are derived or extracted from the rinds or peels of citrus fruits. The fruits and its oils are known for their vibrant, uplifting and refreshing aromas. The citrus plant belongs to a genus that include, lime, lemon, grapefruit and orange. The citrus essential oils are commonly used in aromatherapy, and as ingredients in personal care products and cleaning solutions. Here are some popular citrus essential oils:
1. Sweet Orange (Botanically Known as Citrus Sinensis):
Sweet orange oil has a sweet, citrusy aroma. Inhaling the aroma has both uplifting and calming effect.
2. Lemon (Botanically Known as Citrus Limon):
Lemon oil has a fresh, and zesty scent. Inhaling the aroma is invigorating and energizing both the senses. It is often used to uplift the mood. Lemon oil is also commonly used in cleaning products.
3. Grapefruit (Botanically Known as Citrus Paradisi):
Grapefruit oil has a tangy aroma and when inhaled has a refreshing and revitalizing effect. It is known for its uplifting and mood-enhancing properties.
4. Bergamot (Botanically Known as Citrus Bergamia):
Bergamot oil has a citrusy aroma with slightly floral undertone. It is often used to promote relaxation and uplift the mood. Bergamot oil is used in skincare products because of its health-related properties.
5. Lime (Botanically Known as Citrus Aurantifolia):
Lime oil has a citrusy scent that is sharp to the senses. Inhaling the aroma has uplifting and refreshing effect on the senses. Lime oil is used in aromatherapy to uplift the mood.
6. Mandarin (Botanically Known as Citrus Reticulata):
Mandarin oil is considered an underdog in the category of citrus essential oils, but it has a sweet aroma that is gentle and calming. It is often used to promote relaxation. Mandarin oil is often used in skincare products for its positive effects on the skin.
The citrus essential oils are used individually or blended together to formulate special aromatic combinations. And, since their aroma have a zesty effect on the mind, they can be called citrus sunshine blends. They can be diffused, applied topically (when diluted), or added to baths.
Citrus oil can be used individually or part as a blend to freshen the atmosphere and drive away the dullness. It can be used in aromatherapy to uplift the mood and instil energy.
Citrus Sunshine Zesty Recipes
Citrus Sunshine is the name given for the refreshing and uplifting effect that the essential oil blend (that combines various citrus oils known for their bright and invigorating aromas) has on the body and mind. Here are some of the recipes made with citrus oils.
DIY Recipes with Citrus Essential Oils
Recipe 1 – Orange Punch Aromatherapy
- 5 drops of sweet orange essential oil
- 2 drops of lemon essential oil
- 3 drops of grapefruit essential oil
- 1 drop of bergamot essential oil
- Take a dark glass bottle and all the ingredients to it.
- Add the specified number of drops of each essential oil into the bottle.
- Gently swirl the bottle to mix the oils every time before use.
- This blend can be used in various ways.
- Store the bottle in a cold dark place.
Recipe 2 - Different Ways of Using Citrus Oils Blend
- Aroma Diffuser: Add a few drops of the blend to a diffuser. It can help create a fresh and energizing atmosphere.
- Inhalation: Place a few drops of the blend on a tissue or handkerchief and inhale deeply.
- Room Spray: Mix the blend with water in a spritzer and use it as a refreshing room spray with citrus aroma. Choose your favorite citrus essential oil and spray it in the air to benefit from its aromatic molecules.
Recipe 3 - Citrusy Energizing Blend
- 3 drops of sweet orange essential oil
- 2 drops of lime essential oil
- 2 drop of Mandarin essential oil
- Take an aroma diffuser system.
- Add all the ingredients into the diffuser.
- Switch on the diffuser when feeling tired or low.
- Inhale the aroma for 15 minutes to feel rejuvenated.
Recipe 4 - Sizzling Citrusy Bath
Add a few drops of any citrus essential oil (including sweet orange, wild orange, or grapefruit) to your hot bath water. If you have a bathtub, then immerse yourself for 10-20 minutes for a refreshing bath.
Recipe 5 - Homemade Body Spray
- 10 drops of sweet orange essential oil
- 7 drops of Mandarin essential oil
- 5 drops of bergamot essential oil
- 2 ounces of distilled water
- Combine the essential oils and distilled water in a spray bottle.
- Shake well before use
- Mist the refreshing spray onto your body whenever you need.
- Avoid spraying directly on the face and eyes.
Recipe 6 - Refreshing Garden Aroma
- 3 drops of lemon essential oil
- 2 drops of sweet essential oil
- 1 drops of lavender essential oil
- 1 drop of rosemary essential oil
- 1 drop of wintergreen essential oil
- Use this blend to experience the feel of a floral garden in the morning hours.
- Mix all the ingredients in the bottle or add directly to the aroma diffuser.
- Diffuse the blend in the mornings to get a refreshing gardenesque feel.
Recipe 7 - Refreshing Calmness
- 4 drops of bergamot essential oil
- 1 drop of ylang ylang essential oil
- 1 drop of sandalwood essential oil
- 1 drop of lavender essential oil
- 2 drops of lime essential oil
- Add the ingredients to a diffuser.
- Diffuse it to feel calm and energized.
- The citrus and floral aroma has a unique effect on the psyche.
Recipe 8 - Sui Generis Blend
- 2 drops of tangerine essential oil
- 2 drops of Mandarin essential oil
- 1 drop of citronella essential oil
- 1 drop of clementine essential oil
- 1 drop of blood orange essential oil
- Ideal for evening settings at home
- This blend has a sweet citrusy aroma best suited for calm environment.
- Diffuse the aroma and spend quality time with family at home. It also boosts the funtime
Recipe 9 - All Orangy Blend
- 2 drops of orange essential oil
- 2 drops of blood orange essential oil
- 2 drops of wild orange essential oil
- 2 drops of petitgrain essential oil
- This experimental oil is preferred by those who love the unique aroma of different orange oils.
- The unique aroma will pique the interest of your guests.
Citrus Sunshine blends focus on refreshing and rejuvenating the minds. There are many essential oils that belong to the citrus category of essential oils including lime, lemon, orange, tangerine, Mandarin, bergamot, and grapefruit essential oils.
The oils can be blended in different ways and these blends can be used in different ways including topical application and aromatherapy.
These oils are phototoxic, hence it should not be topically applied before venturing outside into the sunlight.
What is citrus blend essential oil good for?
Citrus blends are known to uplift and energize the senses. Citrus blend essential oil is used to uplift the mood, refresh the ambience, instil vigor and energy, and deal with fatigue.
What blends well with citrus essential oils?
The essential oils that blend well with citrus oils are - lavender, peppermint, rosemary, clove, cinnamon, jasmine, ylang ylang, pine, geranium, rose, neroli and yarrow.
- Bedtime Essential Oils Blend for Better Sleep | Best Essential Oils for Sleep
- What Does Sandalwood Smell Like? | Scent Profile of Sandalwood Oil | DIY Recipes and Benefits
- Euphoria Essential Oil Blend | Natural DIY Euphoric Blends
- Wintergreen Essential Oil: Uses, Benefits, & DIY Recipes
- Meditation Essential Oil Blend | DIY Recipe Blends for Meditation
- Aromatherapy from the Eastern Lands – Recipes for Japanese Uplifting Blend Essential Oils
- Indian Ayurvedic Blend Oil Recipes
- DIY Linen Spray Recipe | Homemade Linen Spray With Essential Oils
- What Does Rosemary Smell Like? Understanding the Scent of Rosemary Herb