Tea Tree Oil For Piercings (Complete Guide) | Tea Tree Oil On Piercings
Essential oils are gaining wide popularity these days mainly because of their medicinal and therapeutic benefits. Many essential oils can help prevent infections, reducing pain, inflammation, or skin irritation. One of the most popular and commonly used essential oil in skincare routine is tea tree essential oil.
Tea tree essential oil has antibacterial, antiseptic, analgesic, antimicrobial, antifungal, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory properties that can help heal skin and health in many different ways. Tea tree oil comes from the leaves of the tea tree Australian Melaleuca Alternifolia plant. People use tea tree oil to treat skin conditions like acne, scars, dark spots, aging, etc.
Body piercing is something that has been practiced since ancient times, and it is also an important element of modern fashion. But piercing requires aftercare to ensure that it does not get infected or does not leave any scar around the area.
This post is a complete guide to help you with the use of tea tree oil for the aftercare of piercing. Tea tree oil is known for its natural wound-healing properties. Tea tree oil may help reduce scars caused either due to new piercings or already existing scars. Tea tree oil has antimicrobial properties that help in preventing infections caused after piercing.
How Can Tea Trees Help In Healing Piercing Or Take Piercing Aftercare?
Following are some of the benefits of tea tree oil that can be used to take aftercare of piercing:
Tea tree oil is rich in antibacterial, antifungal, and antimicrobial properties and thus helps prevent infections. Piercings are prone to infections; to avoid this, one can use tea tree oil. Tea tree oil contains compounds like terpinen-4-ol and alpha-terpineol that have antiviral, antimicrobial, antiprotozoal, and antifungal properties (1). Thus using tea tree oil can help prevent wounds and infections that can be caused due to microbes and fungi.
Tea tree oil is rich in anti-inflammatory properties, and thus it can help reduce redness and swelling that appears after piercing (2). Tea tree oil can also help reduce itchiness and discomfort and speed up the healing process after piercing.
Promotes Wound Healing
Tea tree oil has natural wound-healing properties as it contains antiseptic properties that make it possible to heal wounds quickly (3). It also helps reduce wound scars; thus, any scar around the pierced area can be healed with the help of tea tree oil. The use of tea tree oil speeds up the wound healing time.
How To Use Tea Tree Oil For Piercing Aftercare?
Tea tree oil can be used to take proper aftercare of piercing. It helps keep the pierced area clean and prevents infections. Following are some of the guidelines that one should take care of while using tea tree oil after piercing:
- Tea tree is high in concentration, and thus it needs to be diluted before applying it to the skin. It is advised to dilute the tea tree oil with any carrier oil like coconut oil, castor oil, olive oil, almond oil, etc. Undiluted tea tree oil can cause skin irritation, redness, inflammation, or any sort of allergic reaction.
- Add a couple of drops of essential oils with a carrier oil. You need to add 2 drops of essential oil to 1 tablespoon of carrier oil and mix it well to make a perfect blend for piercing aftercare.
- Before applying the tea tree oil solution, clean the piercing with the help of a mild soap and water or a saline solution.
- Use a cotton swab or cotton ball, and apply this blend outside the piercing. Avoid applying tea tree oil inside the piercing.
- You can apply this mixture a few times a day till required.
There are certain internal piercings as well, like oral piercings, tongue piercings, etc., and to take care of those piercings, you can follow the below guidelines:
- Take a glass of warm salt water and add 8 to 10 drops of tea tree oil to it.
- After using this tea tree solution, gargle your mouth with just lukewarm water. Take a small amount of diluted oil, gargle for 20 to 30 seconds, and spit it out. Avoid swallowing the mixture, as it can cause side effects.
Which Piercings Can Be Treated By Using Tea Tree Oil?
Tea tree oil is likely safe to use by most people. It can be used to reduce the appearance of scars or heal wounds quickly. Sometimes piercing becomes infected. It is one of the best natural oils that can be used to prevent infections after piercing. It can be used for many different piercings like ears, eyebrows, nose, neck, belly button, back, etc.
Tea Tree Oil And Keloid Scars
The infections after piercing can make the scar tissue worse. The raised area around the scar tissue is called keloids. The keloids can keep growing even if the wound around the piercing is healed. Keloids are harmless but can ruin your look, or many people might not like them for cosmetic reasons. Thus efforts are taken by people to get rid of these keloids. Some people also try surgeries to remove these keloids, but it often regrows.
Tea tree oil is one of the natural remedies that can be used to treat keloid scars. It is believed that the use of tea tree oil will help in reducing the appearance of keloid, and it can also reduce any sort of scar.
What Are The Possible Side Effects Of Using Tea Tree Oil On Your Piercing?
- Tea tree oil can cause poisoning if ingested. It can cause confusion and drowsiness. Hence, it is suggested not to ingest tea tree oil.
- It can cause lethargies and also lead to loss of muscle coordination.
- Intake of higher doses of tea tree oil can also prove to be lethal.
- Ingesting tea tree oil can cause allergic reactions like redness, swelling, rashes, itchiness, hives, etc.
- Tea tree oil use is not safe for pregnant or breastfeeding women.
- Avoid the use of tea tree oil on children.
- Avoid using tea tree oil directly to your skin if in an undiluted state.
- Always undertake a patch test before using.
- If you experience any allergies after the application of tea tree oil, then discontinue the use of this oil.
Tea tree oil is a natural complementary treatment that can be used to deal with piercing bumps. Many piercing experts recommend that you use tea tree oil or tea tree oil product for piercing. Tea tree oil is an astringent that can help treat piercing and other issues associated with piercings. A couple of drops of tea tree oil can
It is usually safe to use tea tree oil for surface piercing aftercare. Though, you need to undertake precautions while using it for piercings located inside. Though, if you witness any allergic reaction after using tea tree oil, immediately stop using tea tree oil.
Is it okay to put tea tree oil on piercings?
Yes, tea tree oil can be used on piercings as it has antibacterial, antimicrobial, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory properties, etc. that helps in reducing swelling, pain, inflammation, and infections caused due to piercing.
Do you have to dilute tea tree oil for piercings?
Yes, undiluted tea tree oil is very high in concentration and it can cause skin irritation, inflammation, redness, or allergies. Thus it is important to dilute tea tree oil for piercings.
How often should I put tea tree oil on my piercing?
You can use diluted tea tree oil several times a day.
- M. N. M. Nogueira. Inflammation Research. (2014) Terpinen-4-ol and alpha-terpineol (tea tree oil components) inhibit the production of IL-1β, IL-6 and IL-10 on human macrophages. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00011-014-0749-x
- Nader Pazyar MD. A review of applications of tea tree oil in dermatology. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1365-4632.2012.05654.x
- Karen B. Chin. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. (2013) The Effect of Tea Tree Oil (Melaleuca alternifolia) on Wound Healing Using a Dressing Model. https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10.1089/acm.2012.0787
- Best Candles For Meditation And Its Benefits
- Xanthan Gum On Skin – Is It Good Or Bad?
- Peppermint Oil For Lips – Get Plump Lips with Peppermint Balm
- Complete Guide on Rosemary Water | Homemade Rosemary Water for Hair Growth, Long and Healthy Hair
- Essential Oils To Boost Your Immune System Support
- 13 Top Essential Oils for Snoring | Snore Stop Essential Oil Recipe
- Vitamin C Pack For Face – Benefits and Homemade Recipe
- Coconut Oil Vs Olive Oil For Hair | Difference Between Olive Oil And Coconut Oil For Hair