Yuzu Essential Oil: Comprehensive Guide
Essential oils are gaining wide relevance these days mainly because of their properties, potential health benefits, and skin, hair, and oral care benefits. There are many essential oils available in the market. This article aims to discuss in detail Yuzu essential oil, one of the lesser-known essential oils.
Yuzu is a citrus essential oil. Yuzu fruit is rich in many benefits and has an exotic aroma. In this article, the uses, benefits, and safety precautions related to Yuzu oil will be discussed.
Continue to read to learn more about Yuzu oil.
Yuzu Essential Oil
Method of extraction
|Steam distillation or cold pressed|
|Part of Plant Used||
Citrus rind (peel)
Strength of Initial Aroma
(+)- Limonene, Gamma-Terpinene, B-Phellandrene, B-Myrcene, Linalool, a-Pinene
Introduction to Yuzu Essential Oil
Yuzu, which is scientifically known as Citrus junos, is a fruit that is a hybrid of both mandarin and lemon (1). This fruit is native to Asia, specifically found in Japan. Its country of origin is Central China and Tibet.
It has a unique and exotic fragrance which is a mixture of mandarin, lime, and grapefruit. Because of this unique blend of scents, this oil is quite popular in the perfume industry as well as culinary practices. This essential oil is usually extracted through cold compression by using the peel of this fruit. Yuzu oil is rich in fragrance and has many important benefits that are good for health and skin.
Top 10 Uses of Yuzu Essential Oil
This essential oil offers multiple uses and has the ability to improve your everyday life. Following are some of the uses of yuzu oil:
Essential oils are doing wonders when it comes to skincare. This oil has all the necessary vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients that have the ability to improve skin quality, texture, and overall skin health. It has revitalizing properties that help improve your dull skin and offers you fresh and younger-looking skin.
It is also used in many cosmetics. It fights skin aging and free radicals and thus making your skin youthful and radiant.
You can add a few drops of yuzu oil to your creams or lotion and apply it to your face and body for effective results. Avoid applying essential oils directly to your skin, as they can irritate your skin. Dilute essential oils with any carrier oil and then apply it to your skin to reduce the concentration of oil.
The exotic scent of this oil makes it one of the most appropriate choices for aromatherapy. It has a citrusy scent, which helps uplift your mood instantly and energizes your mind, body, and soul. Diffusing this essential oil promotes mental clarity, relaxes you, and helps you calm down.
You can use an electric diffuser and add a few drops of yuzu oil to it and enjoy the benefits. You can also experiment with different oils and make your own DIY blend depending on your choice of scents.
3. DIY Massage Oil
Another important use of yuzu essential oil is in the form of massage oil. You can dilute the yuzu oil with any carrier oil, such as jojoba oil, coconut oil, castor oil, etc., and massage it on the affected area. Massaging with oil helps in improving blood circulation and thus helps relax muscles, offering you relief from any discomfort. Yuzu oil has many potential health benefits that still need to be explored.
You can use Yuzu oil to enjoy a relaxing and soothing bath. You can create your own DIY bath blends using yuzu oil and other essential oils, as well as Epsom salt, and immerse yourself partially or completely in the bath to enjoy the benefits of this oil. These essential oil baths promote relaxation. This is one of the best ways to use essential oil, especially after a tiring day when you want to release all the tiredness after a hectic day.
5. Culinary Application
Yuzu oil is being used traditionally in the form of culinary practices mainly because of its aroma. It has a bright citrus flavor and thus is used in the form of dressings, sauces, creating marinades, desserts, etc. (2). It is believed that the tangy aroma of this oil has the ability to elevate your dishes and take your cooking game to a new height.
Yuzu oil is believed to have uplifting properties, and thus, it is believed that inhaling this oil can help lift your mood. It has natural energizing properties that can be used to boost your energy levels. It also helps improve your concentration and focus and offers your mental clarity. Thus inhaling this oil is a great way to use it. You can either directly sniff it from the bottle or spritz a few drops on a handkerchief or your pillow for relaxation.
7. Hair Care
Yuzu oil has properties that help promote healthy hair and scalp. It has revitalizing properties that help improve your hair quality. It also possesses properties that help treat many scalp conditions. It adds a natural shine to your hair, strengthens hair, and adds volume to your hair. You can add a few drops of yuzu oil to your shampoo and conditioner to enjoy its benefits.
Yuzu oil has natural cleansing properties and thus can be used to create natural cleaners. You can make your own DIY natural cleaners at home using yuzu oil, vinegar, and water and clean your surfaces and floors.
9. Yoga and Meditation
Yuzu oil has grounding and calming effects. It is one of the best oils that can be diffused during your yoga sessions or when you are practicing meditation. You can also apply a few drops of this oil on your temples and pulse points to promote calmness and relaxation.
It has properties that promote mental clarity and help you relax during your yoga and meditation sessions. It creates a great serene environment and is best for promoting inner peace.
10. Air Fresheners
Yuzu oil has a great scent, and this makes it appropriate for use as a chemical-free air freshener. Mix yuzu oil with distilled water and pour it into a spray bottle. Spritz this mixture around your living space, in your bedroom, or in your office to enjoy the freshness and the welcoming atmosphere offered by this oil.
What are Some of the Benefits of Yuzu Essential Oil?
There are several benefits of yuzu oil, and some of them are represented below:
1. Uplifts Mood
Yuzu oil has a very refreshing scent that helps instantly uplift your mood. It has the ability to help balance your emotions and, at the same time, alleviate any sort of discomfort. The citrusy scent of this oil helps in promoting relaxation (3).
2. Mental Clarity
One of the major benefits of using yuzu oil is that it increases focus and concentration, helps release fatigue, and promotes mental clarity. It helps reduce mental fog and sharpen your focus (4).
3. Boosts Energy
Yuzu oil has energizing properties, and inhaling this oil can instantly boost your energy level.
4. Skin Health
Essential oils are being widely used as a part of skincare these days mainly because of their immense benefits for the skin. It has properties that help develop a layer on the skin and protects the skin from environmental stressors. It fights signs of aging, reduces premature aging, and helps you achieve youthful and radiant skin.
It reduces the appearance of dark spots, fades away dull skin by repairing the skin from within, and offers you rejuvenated skin. It also improves skin texture and soothes, and calms irritated skin. It also helps heal many skin conditions.
5. Improves Hair Quality
Yuzu oil has properties that help improve the overall quality of hair and scalp. It provides deep nourishment to the scalp and hair and adds natural shine and volume to your hair. It helps strengthen your hair and reduce hair breakage to a great extent.
6. Relaxes Muscles
Massaging using Yuzu oil can help relax your muscles. Massaging improves blood circulation and thus helps relax. It offers relief from any sort of discomfort.
7. Induces Sleep
Yuzu oil has properties that induce sleep. It has properties that help you relax and calm down and fall asleep quickly, without distortion in the sleep (6). You can diffuse the oil before bedtime to create a relaxing environment for restful sleep. You can also add a few drops to your bath before bedtime. Spritz some oil on your pillow for better sleep.
DIY Yuzu Oil Blend Recipes
Below are some of the DIY recipes that you can try using Yuzu essential oil. These DIY recipes will help take your self-care game and skincare routine to a new level.
Also, by adopting these DIY recipes, you can inculcate yuzu oil into your daily life in a very convenient and easy manner. Read below to find some interesting DIY recipes to try:
Recipe#1 - Energizing Citrus Body Scrub
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup of coconut oil
- 10 drops of Yuzu essential oil
- In a bowl, combine the granulated sugar and coconut oil.
- Add 10 drops of Yuzu essential oil and mix well.
- Gently massage the scrub onto damp skin in circular motions.
- Rinse off with warm water and enjoy the invigorating scent and exfoliating properties of the scrub.
Recipe#2 - Refreshing Room Spray
- 1/2 cup of distilled water
- 1/2 cup of witch hazel
- 20 drops of Yuzu essential oil
- 10 drops of Peppermint essential oil (optional)
- Mix the distilled water and witch hazel in a spray bottle.
- Add 20 drops of Yuzu essential oil and 10 drops of Peppermint essential oil (optional) for an extra refreshing twist.
- Shake well before each use and spray around your living space for a rejuvenating and uplifting atmosphere.
Recipe#3 - Citrus Hair Revitalizer
- 2 tablespoons of argan oil
- 5 drops of Yuzu essential oil
- 3 drops of Rosemary essential oil
- In a small bottle, combine the argan oil, Yuzu essential oil, and Rosemary essential oil.
- Mix well and apply a few drops to your palms.
- Massage the oil into your scalp and through your hair, focusing on the ends.
- Leave it on for at least 30 minutes or overnight for deep conditioning.
- Shampoo and condition, as usual, to reveal nourished and revitalized hair.
Recipe#4 - Calming Bath
- 1 cup of Epsom salt
- 1/4 cup of baking soda
- 10 drops of Yuzu essential oil
- Dried rose petals or lavender buds (optional)
- In a bowl, combine the Epsom salt and baking soda.
- Add 10 drops of Yuzu essential oil and mix well.
- If desired, add dried rose petals or lavender buds for an extra touch of relaxation.
- Add the bath salts to warm running water and soak in the aromatic bliss of a Yuzu-infused hot bath.
Recipe#5 - Citrusy Room Diffuser Blend
- 5 drops of Yuzu essential oil
- 3 drops of Lemon essential oil
- 2 drops of Bergamot essential oil
- A small diffuser or aroma diffuser necklace
- Fill your diffuser with water according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Add the drops of Yuzu essential oil, Lemon essential oil, and Bergamot essential oil to the water.
- Turn on the diffuser and enjoy the refreshing and uplifting scent that fills the room.
Precautions and Safety Measures
Essential oils are plant extracts and, thus, are natural products that are usually safe. But it can sometimes be irritating to your skin, or you might have some allergic reactions. So, to avoid such situations, it is important to use essential oils with certain precautions. Below are some of the safety precautions that should be adopted while using essential oils:
Yuzu oil is highly concentrated and should always be diluted before applying it to the skin. Mix it with a suitable carrier oil, such as coconut oil or jojoba oil, before topical use. A general guideline is to use a 2-3% dilution, which means adding 12-18 drops of Yuzu oil to 1 ounce (30 ml) of carrier oil.
2. Patch Test:
Before using Yuzu essential oil topically, perform a patch test to check for any potential skin sensitivity or allergic reactions. Apply a small amount of the diluted oil to a small area of the skin and wait for 24 hours to observe any adverse reactions.
Some individuals may have a higher sensitivity to Yuzu oil or citrus oils in general. If you experience any skin irritation, redness, or discomfort after using Yuzu oil, discontinue use immediately and consult a healthcare professional.
Like many citrus essential oils, Yuzu oil may increase the skin's sensitivity to sunlight. Avoid direct sun exposure or tanning beds for at least 12 hours after applying Yuzu oil topically to reduce the risk of sunburn or skin discoloration.
5. Pregnancy and Nursing:
If you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or have any underlying health conditions, it's advisable to consult a healthcare professional before using Yuzu essential oil. They can provide personalized guidance based on your specific situation.
6. Children and Pets:
Keep Yuzu oil out of reach of children and pets. Essential oils should be used with caution around young children, and it's recommended to consult a healthcare professional before using them on infants or children.
7. Internal Use:
Yuzu essential oil is primarily recommended for external use. Avoid ingesting Yuzu oil unless under the guidance and supervision of a qualified aromatherapist or healthcare professional.
Yuzu oil has a citrus floral scent that has many benefits and uses. Yuzu oil from Japan has been used for ages in the Japanese tradition and Japanese culture. Yuzu oil is either yellow or green in color.
The aroma of yuzu is very long-lasting and refreshing and helps reenergize your mind and body. In this comprehensive guide related to Yuzu oil, all the major uses and benefits of this oil have been discussed in detail.
Also, some of the DIY recipes are suggested for you to try at your home and enjoy the benefits of yuzu oil. Though, always remember to use yuzu oil or any essential oil with proper care and precautions and inculcate all the safety measures suggested above.
What is yuzu essential oil used for?
Yuzu essential oil is a very versatile oil that is used for many different purposes like skincare, hari care, culinary applications, aromatherapy, bath, massage, cleansers, air fresheners, etc.
What does yuzu oil smell like?
Yuzu oil has a citrusy aroma that smells like both mandarin and lemon.
What does yuzu essential oil do for skin?
Yuzu essential oil helps improve your skin texture, fight signs of aging, fights acne, reduces dark spots and blemishes, improves dull skin, and offers you radiant and youthful skin. Helps soothe skin, and reduce any irritation or skin condition effectively.
What essential oils blend well with yuzu?
Essential oils like peppermint oil, rosemary oil, lavender oil, lemon oil, bergamot oil, etc. blend well with yuzu oil.
- Anti-inflammatory Effects of Limonene from Yuzu (Citrus junos Tanaka) Essential Oil on Eosinophils https://ift.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1750-3841.2010.01541.x
- Biological Activities and Safety of Citrus spp. Essential Oils https://www.mdpi.com/1422-0067/19/7/1966?TB_iframe=true&width=370.8&height=658.8
- Does Japanese Citrus Fruit Yuzu (Citrus junos Sieb. ex Tanaka) Fragrance Have Lavender-Like Therapeutic Effects That Alleviate Premenstrual Emotional Symptoms? A Single-Blind Randomized Crossover Study https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10.1089/acm.2016.0328
- Aromatic effects of a Japanese citrus fruit—yuzu (Citrus junos Sieb. ex Tanaka)—on psychoemotional states and autonomic nervous system activity during the menstrual cycle: a single-blind randomized controlled crossover study https://bpsmedicine.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13030-016-0063-7
- Essential Oils, Phytoncides, Aromachology, and Aromatherapy—A Review https://www.mdpi.com/2076-3417/12/9/4495
- Unlocking Serenity: Calming Essential Oil Blends for Relaxation, and Anxiety Relief in Your Diffuser
- Is Diffusing Essential Oils Safe For Your Lungs?
- Pulse Point Aromatherapy with Pure Essential Oils
- The Art of Intimacy: Creating DIY Recipes for Sensual Massage with Essential Oils
- Mastering the Dilution Game: A Step-by-Step Guide to Diluting Essential Oils
- Choose the Best Carrier Oils for Essential Oils & Explore the World of Aromatherapy
- Essential Oils for Sauna | Sauna Aromatherapy
- Yuzu Essential Oil: Comprehensive Guide