7 Best Hair Oils For Bleached Hair
Hair lightening practices are no longer a trend, but a normal fashion statement. Gone are the days when the hair styles used to be dictated by a popular movie character. Nowadays, hair lightening is done on a whim. And, these hair lightening products contain some amount of bleach.
No matter what product you buy or the salon you visit, the hair lightening products will have some bleach. What is bleach? It is the easiest way to remove pigment. It is applied on the hair to lighten the natural hair color. And, bleaching is a popular choice when it comes to hair coloring.
However, bleaching and styling does have a negative impact on the hair, especially when it is done frequently. Bleach is known to disrupt the proteins in the hair strands and follicles. And, when the bleach is removed, the hair that is left is weaker and thinner.
And if done frequently and improperly, bleaching can cause dry and frizzy hair. A 2011 study analyzed the effect of bleaching agents with different bleaching strength on the hair strands (1). Discover more about the essential oils for & carrier oils for frizzy hair.
Treating the damage left by the bleaching agent must be rectified; but, using cosmetics with chemicals will further deteriorate the hair health, especially if used regularly. Hence, dealing with bleached hair the natural way is the safe choice, the smart choice. Here, we will look at the best hair oils for bleached hair.
7 Best Hair Oils For Bleached Hair and Hair Growth
Before learning about the oils for bleached hair, it is important to know about the layer that captures the moisture for the hair. It is called the hair cuticle. Bleaching can disrupt the hair cuticle leading to frizzy hair. The journal Cosmetics published a review on the features of hair cuticles (2). Natural oils are used to pack the hair and help it regain its lost gloss and shine, while nourishing and rebuilding the hair cuticle. Now, let’s see the best natural oils for bleached hair.
1. Castor Oil for Bleached Hair
Castor oil is a wonderful oil for hydrating the hair that has gone dry due to bleaching. The oil also stimulates thicker hair by nourishing the scalp.
The hair that has been lightened with the hair bleach product is silky. It is nourished by the castor oil, which also protects against sun and heat damage.
However, castor oil must be used with caution and in small amounts. Excess and improper use of castor oil on the hair can lead to felting of hair. Certain hair styling products with castor oil based polyurethane dispersions have shown better performance than commercial hair spray products.
This 2020 study was published in the journal Progress in Organic Coatings (3). It is one of the best hair oils for blondes, bleached and colored hair. This cold-pressed oil is used in many hair serums.
Small amounts of castor oil when applied on the scalp protects the scalp from environmental and product-based hair damage.
2. Argan Oil For Bleached Hair
Argan oil is obtained from the argan tree which is endemic to Morocco. You might have heard of Moroccan oil for bleached hair. This Moroccan oil is similar to argan oil, with minor variations. Hence, if you cannot get Moroccan oil for bleached hair, use argan oil which is more than a perfect replacement for bleached hair.
Argan oil nourishes the scalp and hair and while doing so it removes hair frizz giving it a shine and making it smooth. Argan oil strengthens the hair strands which prevent hair loss, split ends and breakage. The Vitamin E content in the oil guards the hair strands from damage, and needless to say, promotes thicker hair. The oil is also effective against scalp infections.
A 2022 study found that Argan oil was effective in boosting the tensile strength of the hair. The oil also preserved the color of bleached hair (4). Apply a small amount of the oil daily to make your hair feel thick and curly, fro hydration, and protect it from disturbances like heat and sun damage.
Argan oil is considered the best hair oil for bleached hair because studies have shown that applying argan oil improves the tensile strength of the hair.
3. Coconut Oil For Bleached Hair
Coconut oil is a popular oil and is rich in nutrients including monounsaturated fats, polyunsaturated fats and plant sterols. Frizzy hair due to bleaching benefits a lot when coconut oil is applied. Coconut oil forms a shield on the hair strands protecting it from heat and other environmental factors. The oil has other uses as well including prevention of infections, hair fall and hair breakage.
The International Journal of Life Sciences Research published a 2014 study that highlighted the benefits of coconut oil for hair (5).
4. Camellia Oil For Hair Care
Camellia oil is a powerhouse of fatty acids. It is an emollient agent that softens the hair. The oil is obtained from the seeds of the Camellia oleifera plant native to China and Japan. It is said that the geishas of Japan maintained their skin and hair health by using camellia oil.
The oleic, palmitic and stearic acids in the oils protect the hair from damage.
5. Jojoba Oil for Bleached Hair
Jojoba oil is a popular oil and is easily available. It moisturizes the hair, and prevents dandruff and other scalp conditions. It shields the scalp from infections and stimulates hair development. It also reduces hair frizz. The oil can be applied on the scalp and hair and left overnight or applied an hour before bathing.
6. Olive Oil For Bleached Hair
Those with dry and thick hair should opt for olive oil bleached hair. Applying olive oil on the hair has an enriching experience as it leaves the hair moisturized and shiny. Extra virgin olive oil can be used as a lightweight oil to improve the texture of the hair. The extra virgin version of olive oil can be used for bleached hair of all types.
7. Onion Oil for Hair
Onion oil is an amazing addition to hair care routine. Besides acting as a natural conditioner and improving the hair texture, onion oil also boosts the thicker hair cycle, and maintains the pH levels in the scalp. The nutrient rich onion oil nourishes the hair follicles, thus preventing hair thinning and breaking. It also stimulates thicker hair.
DIY Recipes with Hair Oils For Bleached Hair
Apply Hair Oils For Bleached Hair
You have looked at the 7 hair oils for bleached hair that can hydrate the bleached hair and restore its strength. In the following section we will look at the different ways of applying the oil for taking care of bleached hair issues.
Frequent bleaching will deem the hair lifeless. A combo of hair oil and banana will work wonders for the hair. Banana has silica which has restorative abilities which stimulates collagen synthesis in the body.
- 1 tablespoon of argan oil
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tablespoon fractionated coconut oil
- Peel the ripe banana.
- Keep smashing it (or grind it) till it becomes a fine paste.
- Mix the oils and mix it till the paste is uniform.
- Apply the paste at the roots of the hair.
- Apply the paste to the entire length of the hair.
- Cover this hair mask for an hour.
- Rinse off the paste with shampoo.
Precautions and Safety Using Hair Oils for Bleached Hair
All the oils listed above are carrier oils and are safe for use. However, there might be some elements in the oils that can cause irritation of the skin. Hence, a skin patch test must be done.
How to do a skin patch test? Apply a tiny amount of the oil on a small patch of the skin. The skin above the elbow or the inner thigh region is most suited to do a patch test. Leave the oil on the skin for at least 12 hours or overnight. If there is no irritation, then the oil is safe for applying on the scalp.
Bleached hair is good for hair lightening; but, frequent use can damage the hair and affect the scalp. The best hair oils for bleached hair strengthen the hair strands. Applying the hair oils regularly will help the hair into its original form.
Oils such as argan oil, fractionated coconut oil and olive oil can strengthen the hair strands, nourish the hair follicles, promote thicker hair and improve hair texture. The best oil for bleached hair or blonde hair or dry hair can be any of the oils.
Which oil is good for bleached hair?
There is not just one but a few oils that are good for bleached hair. Some of those oils are as follows: - · Castor oil · Argan oil · Fractionated coconut oil · Virgin olive oil . Jojoba oil
Does hair oil help bleached hair?
Bleaching and styling have a negative impact on the hair strands, hair follicles and even the scalp. Hair oils have nourishing properties. It keeps the hair hydrated and protects it from environmental factors and pollutants.
How often should you oil bleached hair?
Hair treatment with carrier oils for bleached hair can be done on a daily basis. However, if you are using a new carrier oil for hair then start using it twice a week till the scalp and hair gets used to the new ingredients. And, if you are adding essential oils to the carrier oil then use the oils blend thrice a week.
- Okajimas Folia Anatomica Japonica. The influence of hair bleach on the ultrastructure of human hair with special reference to hair damage. https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/ofaj/88/1/88_1_1/_article/-char/ja/
- Known and Unknown Features of Hair Cuticle Structure: A Brief Review. https://www.mdpi.com/2079-9284/6/2/32
- Progress in Organic Coatings. (2020). Waterborne polyurethanes from castor oil-based polyols for next generation of environmentally-friendly hair-styling agents. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0300944019315541
- Fashion and Textiles. (2022). Effect of rinse-off hair conditioner containing argan oil or camellia oil on the recovery of hair damaged by bleaching. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1186/s40691-021-00282-5
- Medicinal Benefits of Coconut Oil (A Review paper). https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Gambhirsinh-Vala-2/publication/280574942_Medicinal_Benefits_of_Coconut_Oil_A_Review_paper/links/55bb561b08ae092e965ed871/Medicinal-Benefits-of-Coconut-Oil-A-Review-paper.pdf
- Best Oils for Itchy Scalp | Hair Oils for Dandruff and Itchy Scalp
- 7 Best Health Recipes With Bay Laurel Essential Oil – DIY Tips
- Spearmint Essential Oil Benefits | Ways to Use Spearmint Essential Oil and DIY Recipes
- How to Use Oregano Oil for Cold and Flu | Oil of Oregano to Treat a Cold
- Cajeput Essential Oil Uses, Benefits, and DIY Recipes
- Nourishing Hair Mask With Essential Oils | DIY Hair Mask Recipes Using Essential Oils
- Petitgrain Oil Benefits, Uses and DIY – For Tranquility, Skincare & More
- Bergamot Scent: What Does Bergamot Essential Oil Smell Like?
- Essential Oils That Stimulate The Vagus Nerve, Promote Mental Health, And Reduce Stress