7 Essential Oils For Frizzy Hair | 8 Carrier Oils For Frizzy Hair
How does the hair get frizzy?
Let’s blame it on the harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun or the winter season. The bottom line is that hair gets frizzy and becomes a hassle to maintain. To rescue people from the trouble caused by the frizzy hair there are oils, both carrier oils and essential oils for frizzy hair. It is better to use essential oils as these oils have to be diluted with carrier oils and hence the hair gets its much needed dose of carrier oil.
Now, there are several essential oils available in the market that one can choose from and each essential oil has its own features and properties. However, there are a few essential oils that are known to come in handy while dealing with frizzy hair issues. There have been several researches or studies on the benefits of essential oil for hair.
For instance, the journal Toxicological Research published a December 2014 study that evaluates the effect of lavender essential oil on hair growth (1). Another 2014 study also published in the Toxicological Research shows how peppermint essential oil promotes hair growth without any side effects (2). Before learning more about the essential oils for frizzy hair, it is important to know what causes frizzy hair in some people.
Causes of Frizzy Hair
Following are the main causes of frizzy hair:
- Frizzy hair is common in people with naturally dry hair.
- Dehydration causes frizzy hair. Improper diet and less water consumption are common causes of frizzy hair.
- Over use of hair grooming tools including dryer and curling iron.
- Hair care products that contain sulfates and alcohol that damage and dry out the hair.
- Improper use of oils and serums on the scalp. Some of these products do not penetrate the scalp and sometimes clogs the hair follicles.
- Damage of the hair cuticle due to products with over processed chemicals.
- The naturally secreted sebum (oil) not affecting the hair strands or not moisturizing the hair.
- Certain medications can cause dry and frizzy hair issues.
Benefits Of Essential Oils For Hair
Essential oils have several properties that aid the hair and scalp in the following ways: -
- It promotes growth of hair
- It keeps the scalp and hair moisturized
- It nourishes the hair follicles
- It regulates the hair texture
- Different oils are available for different hair type.
- Nourish hair.
When used regularly, the effects of essential oils are long lasting. And if used carefully, essential oils are safe and have no side effects. So, which essential oils are suitable for frizzy hair?
Best Essential Oils for Frizzy Hair Remedy
1. Rosemary Essential Oil For Frizzy Hair
The essential oil extracted from the leaves of the rosemary plant helps relieve itching usually caused due to dry scalp. It restores the moisture balance of the scalp and prevents dryness of the scalp, and thereby prevents the hair strands from frizzing out.
The oil is concentrated, so it must first be diluted and then applied on the scalp. For fuller and healthier hair the oil of rosemary can be blended with hair masks.
Rosemary oil has many benefits that promote hair health. Studies have proven that it can stimulate hair growth.
2. Peppermint Essential Oil Hair Frizz Remedy
Extracted from the Mentha piperita plant, peppermint essential oil has a cooling effect and invigorates the hair. It has many properties that are helpful in hair care.
A 2014 study on lab mice showed that peppermint oil was more effective in hair growth than jojoba oil and 3% minoxidil. The study found that peppermint oil stimulates rapid anagen stage. Besides hair growth the oil also improves hair density and texture, and nourishes the scalp and hair follicles (4).
5 drops of peppermint oil help to nourish hair and are used to treat dandruff. These are highly concentrated oils and must be mixed with oils like coconut oil or mix the oil to your shampoo.
3. Lavender Essential Oil For Removing Hair Frizz
Native to the mountainous regions of the Mediterranean, lavender essential oil has several compounds including linalyl acetate, linalool and geraniol, which are known to mitigate tiredness. It is believed that tiredness can cause hair damage.
A 2016 study on lab mice published in the Toxicological Research showed that lavender oil nourishes the hair follicles and stimulates hair thickness (5). Regular use of the oil on frizzy hair may improve the texture as well. The advantage of using lavender oil is that it has no known side effects.
A study on lab mice found that regular use of lavender essential oil improved the texture of hair and removed dryness and frizzy hair.
4. Tea Tree Essential Oil Resolves Frizzy Hair Condition
While resolving frizzy hair and texture problems, people forget to care about the scalp; they focus on the hair strands. When the scalp gets dry and itchy, it hampers hair health. Another common problem affecting dry scalp is dandruff. The essential oil extracted from the Melaleuca alternifolia tree is a natural solution to dry and flaky scalp.
Tea tree oil is used as an ingredient in many anti-dandruff shampoos and scalp protection hair products. The Journal of American Academy of Dermatology published a 2002 study on the effect of tea tree oil in treating dandruff.
5. Cedarwood Essential Oil For Hair Frizz Treatment
The essential oil cedarwood from the pine family of trees is used in topical aromatherapy to treat hair and scalp infections.
Mixing cedarwood essential oil with carrier oils including coconut oil or olive oil promotes hair growth. Adding essential oils to every day hair oil works wonders for the hair. And cedarwood essential oil with its many properties is good for the hair.
6. Chamomile Essential Oil Hair Frizz Oil
Chamomile essential oil is extracted from the Matricaria chamomilla plant and is used in aromatherapy. So, how does chamomile oil help the hair? It is a great moisturizer, exactly what the frizzy hair needs.
The oil also lightens the scalp and prevents dandruff and hair fall. But, its primary function of keeping the hair hydrated for a long time is what makes chamomile oil a good oil for those with frizzy hair. If frizzy hair is caused after the use of any hair product or after coloring the hair, then chamomile oil is the go to oil.
7. Sandalwood Essential Oil Hair Frizz Treatment
Sandalwood paste has been used in traditional medicines to treat scalp related problems. It is also applied to give the hair an intoxicating aroma. The essential oil of sandalwood is an excellent moisturizer for the scalp and hair.
In traditional practices, the paste of sandalwood is applied on the scalp to promote hair growth and for thicker hair. The oil also has the ability to promote hair growth. To combat hair frizz, sandalwood oil is mixed with jojoba oil and applied on the scalp and hair strands.
Carrier Oils For Hair Frizz
Essential oils are concentrated plant oils that cannot be applied directly on the hair and scalp. It has to be diluted with carrier oils, serums, hair masks etc. The best option is hair oil or carrier oil as these oils have their own natural nutrients useful for the hair.
1. Argan Oil Hair Frizz Oil
The carrier oil of argan oil is rich in several nutrients including fatty acids and Vitamin E. Argan oil is also known as liquid gold. Over the course of time argan oil can repair damaged hair and reduce its coarseness. It helps the hair trap moisture making it look shiny and silky. It is thus helpful for dry and frizzy hair. Massaging the oil on the scalp helps the scalp absorb the oil.
Argan oil is an ingredient in hair masks due to its properties and nutrients. Argan oil can be used to condition the hair that has become dry and frizzy due to the use of styling products and heating the hair (think dryers).
2. Fractionated Coconut Oil For Thick Hair Frizz
Coconut oil is a widely used vegetable or carrier oil for hair care. The oil contains a lot of nutrients including vitamins, minerals and fatty acids. The oil is used to keep the hair hydrated and prevent split ends. The abundance of Vitamins A, C and E help with hair health.
This causes hair growth and hair development. Using coconut oil regularly gives the hair a supple look and makes the hair lustrous. It is hence used to take care of itchy scalp.
3. Olive Oil For dry Frizzy Hair
Olive oil is a quick action hair oil for dry and frizzy hair. It removes the frizz instantly. It is abundant in Vitamin A, which keeps the hair moisturized by regulating the sebum secretion. It also promotes hair growth. Olive oil also removes the dullness from the hair.
Its emollient characteristics have made it a popular ingredient in many cosmetic products. When olive oil is applied on the hair it leaves behind a protective layer on the hair that maintains the hair luster.
4. Castor Oil Frizzy Hair Remedy
The nutrients that castor oil for hair is popular for are fatty acids and ricinoleic acid. These ingredients smoothen the hair cuticle, thereby reducing frizz and improving the softness of hair. Thus, using castor oil will nourish the hair and result in soft and silky hair.
This oil also has good emollient properties and maintains a uniform texture of the hair. Research has also shown that applying castor oil to the hair roots promotes growth.
5. Jojoba Oil Removes Hair Frizzes
Jojoba oil for hair nourishes the scalp and provides it with nutrients including Vitamins B, C and E. It is considered a wax and is effective in keeping the scalp and hair hydrated for long durations. Jojoba oil is used to prevent hair loss caused due to dryness of the scalp.
This property is also useful in avoiding hair breakage. It strengthens the hair by forming a protective shield on the hair strands. This prevents dryness and dullness of the hair, and frizzy hair. The wax-like effect of the oil keeps the hair tangle free with a lustrous look.
6. Almond Hair Oil for Tangle Free Hair
Almond oil is also called sweet almond oil because of its refreshing fragrance. It is left on the hair as a conditioner for its hydrating properties and its aroma. The oil has several components including major fatty acids that nourishes the scalp and prevents hair damage and scalp infection. The hair lubricated by almond oil is flexible and thus less likely to be frizzy.
The natural hydrating oil of almond gives the hair a shine, prevents split ends and enhances the appearance of the hair. It is also good against environmental and hair care product damage to the hair. The journal Comprehensive Reviews in Food science and Food Safety published the comprehensive review on almond oil (9).
7. Rosehip Seed Oil For Hair Frizz Removal
Rosehip seed oil has plenty of linoleic and linolenic acid fatty acids. The presence of these oils makes it an ally in repairing and moisturizing the hair. It also has a good amount of Vitamins A, C and E which helps reduce hair frizz. The oil is recommended for people with dry hair as rosehip seed oil is a natural moisturizer. It strengthens the hair cuticle and improves its function.
8. Vitamin E Oil for Frizzy Hair
Vitamin E is known to have hair benefits as it can deeply penetrate the scalp and keep the hair moisturized. It has properties that keep the hair healthy. This is a popular oil for treating hair issues including frizzy hair. It prevents the hair from getting brittle and unmanageable. It forms a protective barrier around the hair strands.
This barrier shields against dryness and dullness of hair. Vitamin E oil nourishes the hair. The review of Vitamin E in clinical and cosmetic uses was published in the Dermatologic Survey in 2006 (10).
Which Oils Should Not Be Mixed For Hair?
While reading about the best oils for frizzy hair it is also imperative to read about the hair oils that are bad for dry and frizzy oils. Once you know the bad oils, then you will realize which oils should not be mixed for hair health. Now, choosing the hair oils that are bad can be quite tricky.
A quick search online will show you many results of oils that are bad including (and surprisingly) coconut oil. People living in coastal regions will frown up on this result as coconut oil has their go-to hair oil since ages. Now for your convenience we can perused a few sites and come up with two oils that are bad for the hair.
The carrier oil that may be bad for the hair is flax seed oil and the essential oil that may be bad for the hair is lemon essential oil. Hence, these oils must not be mixed for hair.
DIY Recipes With Essential Oils For Frizzy Hair
There are several essential oils for hair care and it is always a good idea to blend a few of them together to enhance the effects. Here are a few recipes for frizzy hair with essential and carrier oils.
- 5 drops of lavender essential oil
- 5 drops of sandalwood essential oil
- 2 drops of chamomile essential oil
- Quarter cup of coconut oil
- 3 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 3 drops of rosemary essential oil
- 3 drops of cedarwood essential oil
- 4-5 tablespoons of almond oil
- 8 drops of lavender essential oil
- 5 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 1 tablespoon of jojoba oil
- 1 tablespoon of argan oil
- 2 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
How To Use Essential Oil And Carrier Oil On Frizzy Hair
Massaging the scalp with the essential oil and carrier oil blend is the easiest way of using essential oil for frizzy hair. Inhalation aromatherapy has also shown to have a positive effect on hair health. Essential oils are highly concentrated plant oil and must be diluted with carrier oils.
Essential oils are also volatile and must be diluted with carrier oils. The essential oils can also be diluted with shampoos, hair oils, and hair masks; but, carrier oils make excellent base oil for the hair, plus both products are natural. So, here’s how to use both essential oil and carrier oil blend for hair care: -
- Take a few drops of essential oil, 4 to 8 drops and mix it to 2 tablespoons of carrier oil. Increase the amount of carrier oil or decrease the drops of essential oil in more than one essential oil is used.
- Apply the mix to the scalp and massage it gently till the oil is absorbed. The massage is needed to help the oil get absorbed and to increase the blood flow into the scalp.
- Use circular strokes and try to apply a suitable pressure on the scalp.
- Leave the oil on the scalp for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Wash off the oil with a mild shampoo.
- Stop using the essential oil in case of any irritation.
Essential oils can be added to serums and shampoos as well. In such case, do the following: -
- Choose two essential oils for frizzy hair. For example, take 8 drops of rosemary oil and 4 drops of tea tree oil and mix it with one small cup of shampoo or conditioner.
- Mix the blend properly.
- Massage the solution for your hair care routine.
Safety And Precaution While Using Essential Oil For Hair
Essential oils are generally considered safe for the hair and scalp. However, it may cause side effects if not used properly. Here are some of the precautions to be taken while using essential oils:
- Essential oils must always be diluted before use. It should not be used in its undiluted state.
- It is always recommended to do a small patch test before using essential oils. This skin patch test must be done for every essential oil you use.
- Essential oils may cause adverse reactions when used by pregnant or lactating women. It is better to avoid essential oil in these circumstances. However, if the use of essential oil is imperative then consult a gynecologist and inform them about the essential oil that is intended to be used.
- Never ingest essential oils. There are many people who advise the intake of essential oils for health. Some people also use essential oils for cooking. However, consult a doctor before taking essential oils internally. Essential oils may cause disruption in the functioning of the digestive system if ingested.
- Every essential oil is different. One should read the label of the oils and adhere to the instruction.
- Avoid topical application of essential oil on sensitive body parts including the inside of ears, nose and eyes. It should also not be applied on the genitals.
- Some essential oils are photosensitive, which means that applying the oils and going out into sunlight can damage the skin. Check the label of the oil to learn which oils have a phototoxic effect. As a general precaution, avoid exposure to sunlight after applying essential oils. This is the reason why the use of essential oils is recommended at night.
- Keep the oils away from the reach of children.
- Store the oils in a cool dry place as instructed in the label of the oil.
- Keep essential oils out of reach from curious pets.
Who Should Avoid Using Essential Oils
Essential oils are good and essential oils are safe; however, it may not be for everyone. Some people may have to temporarily refrain from using these products, whereas others may have to refrain from certain essential oils permanently. Also, the research on essential oils is limited. So, the people who must avoid essential oils or those who must consult a doctor before use are mentioned here: -
- Infants and young children below 6 years.
- Pregnant women and lactating mothers.
- People who are on medication for chronic illnesses.
- Those who have had surgeries or those about to have a surgery.
- Those who had had transplants.
- People affected with inflammatory skin diseases including psoriasis and eczema.
- Those suffering from bleeding disorders and taking medications for the condition.
- People with high or low blood pressures.
- People with photosensitivity.
- People with skin pigmentation issues.
Essential oils have healthy values. The essential oils for frizzy hair have huge benefits for the hair. However, it is best if one uses it with caution. Essential oils have several benefits for the hair including hair growth, moisturizing the hair and preventing scalp infections.
The essential oils of lavender, cedarwood, tea tree and rosemary moisturize the hair, nourish the hair and tame frizzy hair condition. Massage the scalp with a mix of essential oil(s) and carrier oil(s) to remedy hair frizz issues. The carrier oils including coconut oil, olive oil and jojoba oil are also effective in dealing with hair frizz.
What essential oils help frizzy hair?
The essential oils that help straighten the frizzy hair problem are: - · Rosemary essential oil · Lavender essential oil · Peppermint essential oil · Cedarwood essential oil · Tea tree essential oil · Sandalwood essential oil · Chamomile essential oil
How do you use oil to prevent frizzy hair?
Applying oil to the hair regularly prevents the hair from getting frizzy. The oils rich in Vitamin E and good fatty acids nourish the hair and keep it hydrated. Those with frizzy hair can apply coconut oil, jojoba oil, olive oil etc. to reduce the frizz and prevent it from occurring.
Does rosemary oil make hair frizzy?
The essential oil of rosemary is used to reduce hair frizz. The oil when diluted and applied on the scalp restores the moisture balance of the scalp and prevents the hair from getting dry. Hence, rosemary oil does not make the hair frizzy; on the contrary this oil is used to solve the frizzy hair issue.
Does tea tree oil help with frizzy hair?
Tea tree oil diluted with any of the carrier oil hydrates the scalp and prevents flakes. The properties of the oil protect the scalp and nourish the hair follicles. Tea tree oil helps with hair frizz by treating the scalp and strengthening the hair.
- Toxicol Res. (2016). Hair Growth-Promoting Effects of Lavender Oil in C57BL/6 Mice. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4843973/#b8-tr-32-103
- Toxicol Res. (2014). Peppermint Oil Promotes Hair Growth without Toxic Signs https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4289931/
- Randomized Controlled Trial. Skinmed. (2015). Rosemary oil vs minoxidil 2% for the treatment of androgenetic alopecia: a randomized comparative trial. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25842469/
- Clinical Trial. J Am Acad Dermatol. (2002). Treatment of dandruff with 5% tea tree oil shampoo https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12451368/
- Drug Des Devel Ther. (2013). Preparation and evaluation of a multimodal minoxidil microemulsion versus minoxidil alone in the treatment of androgenic alopecia of mixed etiology: a pilot study. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3686323/
- Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. (2017). Commercial Essential Oils as Potential Antimicrobials to Treat Skin Diseases. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5435909/
- Compr Rev Food Sci Food Saf. (2021). Almond oil: A comprehensive review of chemical composition, extraction methods, preservation conditions, potential health benefits, and safety. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34056853/
- Jens J. Thiele MD Vitamin E: Critical Review of Its Current Use in Cosmetic and Clinical Dermatology. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1524-4725.2005.31724
- Vaping Essential Oils for Anxiety | Is it Safe to Vape Essential Oils?
- Exciting Aroma-filled Recipes of Organic Frankincense Essential Oil
- 7 Best Health Recipes With Bay Laurel Essential Oil – DIY Tips
- Spearmint Essential Oil Benefits | Ways to Use Spearmint Essential Oil and DIY Recipes
- How to Use Oregano Oil for Cold and Flu | Oil of Oregano to Treat a Cold
- Cajeput Essential Oil Uses, Benefits, and DIY Recipes
- Nourishing Hair Mask With Essential Oils | DIY Hair Mask Recipes Using Essential Oils
- Petitgrain Oil Benefits, Uses and DIY – For Tranquility, Skincare & More
- Bergamot Scent: What Does Bergamot Essential Oil Smell Like?