12+ Best Essential oils For Constipation Relief : How To Use Them & DIY Blends
Constipation is a very common issue that many people suffer from. Constipation makes it difficult to pass the stool and can also cause pain or strain during the bowel movement. An upset stomach also sometimes leads to constipation, causing discomfort and uneasiness. Some constipation may be simple to treat and can be treated with the help of home remedies. But certain constipation and other digestive issues might be chronic in nature and require proper treatment. Constipation that lasts for weeks or months is known as chronic constipation.
There are medications to deal with the issue of constipation, but they might have certain side effects. Due to this reason, people often incline towards natural remedies to treat constipation.
Essential oils are one of the best natural remedies that can treat constipation. Essential oils are full of therapeutic properties extracted from different parts of plants. The use of essential oils can improve the digestive system and helps in proper bowel movement. Aromatherapy is considered a natural way to treat constipation.
Best essential oils for constipation relief
Following are some of the top essential oils that may relieve constipation and help ease constipation pain.
1. Peppermint essential oil
Peppermint essential oil contains antispasmodic properties that help in relaxing the muscles around the digestive tract, which helps in easing the bowel moment. According to a study it has been found out that peppermint essential oil has proved to offer relief from constipation. Peppermint oil has menthol that has a cooling effect, and using this oil can help treat pain associated with constipation .
According to the study, , it has been found that peppermint essential oil helps in improving irritable bowel syndrome and thus can also help in treating constipation.
2. Ginger oil
Ginger essential oil is an ancient medicinal product with many healing properties. Ginger oil can help in improving digestion and eliminates constipation. It also helps in dealing with the gastric issue .
A study  proves ginger oil used for abdominal massage can treat constipation.
3. Fennel essential oil
Fennel oil is one of the best essential oils that stimulate the digestive system. Massaging the abdomen with this oil can help in releasing pain and promote effective bowel movement. Fennel oil has antispasmodic properties that help in relieving cramps, pains, gastric issues, and constipation .
A study  proves that you can use essential fennel oil, which is Foeniculum vulgare plant extract, for relief from constipation.
4. Lemon essential oil
Lemon oil has therapeutic properties like anti-inflammatory properties, antibacterial properties, etc. that help in releasing pain. The use of this oil promotes stimulation that reduces inflammation and pain. Lemon oil aromatherapy improves digestion which is crucial in treating constipation .
A study  proves that lemon essential oil can be used to improve the digestive system and treat issues like constipation.
5. Oregano essential oil
Oregano essential oil is one of the most effective essential oils that help deal with indigestion and gastric issues. Oregano oil has antibacterial, antiviral, antimicrobial, and antifungal properties that help treat different digestive issues and constipation .
A study  proves that oregano essential oil has antiparasitic properties that help in treating issues like constipation.
6. Rosemary essential oil
The use of rosemary essential oil helps in relaxing the muscles. Its use can also help in suppressing muscle spasms. The use of rosemary oil can also improve the digestive system. Massaging with this oil can help provide relief from the pain associated with constipation and the pain of constipation .
The study  results prove that using rosemary essential oil helps relieve constipation problems mainly because of its spasmolytic effect.
7. Chamomile essential oil
Chamomile essential oil is rich in anti-inflammatory properties that help ease pain and release muscle stress. Its use improves digestion and treats different gastrointestinal problems. It promotes good bacteria in the gut that help improve the stomach's condition and improve bowel movement .
Studies prove that using chamomile essential oil can help with constipation.
8. Turmeric essential oil
Turmeric oil is one of the ancient medical treatments that help in resolving many different skin issues and health conditions. Turmeric essential oils improve digestive functions in a natural manner, improving the digestive process. Turmeric essential oil is rich in antioxidants .
Turmeric oil has a constituent called curcumin that has therapeutic properties and can help in relieving constipation.
9. Lavender essential oil
The lavender essential oil has natural healing properties and therapeutic properties. It promotes the digestive system's effective functioning, ensuring the easy release of stool and bowel movement. It has antibacterial properties that help in fighting bad bacteria in the gut and improve the quality of your digestive system .
The use of lavender oil for abdominal massage can offer relief from constipation.
10. Basil essential oil
Basil oil has many medicinal and therapeutic properties. Basil oil can be used when you are facing stomach issues, stomach aches, gastric issues, etc. Basil oil can also help relieve constipation pain .
Study proves that the use of basil essential oil can help in the treatment of constipation.
11. Marjoram essential oil
For the relief of constipation, you can use marjoram essential oil.
12. Orange essential oil
Orange oil is rich in anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce inflammation and pain and relieve cramps due to constipation. Orange oil has limonene and myrcene improve circulation and boosts the immune system. It promotes the digestive system's effective functioning and can help treat issues like constipation .
The use of orange essential oil helps in the digestion process and thus offers relief from constipation.
What Are The Benefits Of Using Essential Oils For Constipation?
Essential oils have many different benefits that can help people suffering from the issue of constipation. Following are some of the benefits of essential oil for constipation:
It facilitates healthy gut bacteria.
The presence of good bacteria is required in order to maintain a good gut balance and improve the overall digestive system. Gut balance plays a strategic role in breaking the food particles, which will treat the problem of constipation. The use of essential oils helps in increasing the absorption of nutrients within the gut and thus helps in overcoming the issue of constipation.
Helps release toxins
The use of essential oils facilitates the release of toxins from the body and removes waste from the digestive system, promotive it's effective functioning. The antibacterial and antifungal properties of essential oils help in releasing toxins.
Promotes easy bowel movement
One of the causes of difficult bowel movements is constipation which also leads to pain. The use of essential oils helps in treating the issue of constipation by treating stomach aches and other stomach issues like gastric issues.
How To Use Essential Oils For Constipation?
Essential oils can be used in a different manners to treat the issue of constipation.
Topical use is one of the most commonly used methods to use essential oils for constipation.
Step 1: Dilute your favorite essential oils from the above-given list with a carrier oil.
Step 2- Mix well all the oils to make a nice blend.
Step 3- Store this blend in a glass jar and keep it in a cool and dark place.
Step 4- Take a few drops of this oil and massage the abdominal area for 10 to 15 minutes.
You can use a diffuser to diffuse the essential oils and inhale them to get relief from constipation. You can also use an essential oils inhaler. Along with diffusing essential oils, it is recommended that you also perform abdominal massage with essential oils to get better results in constipation treatment.
DIY Oil Blends
DIY massage oil blend to treat constipation with essential oils
- 3 drops of lemon oil
- 3 drops of peppermint oil
- 3 drops of basil oil
- 5 drops of rosemary essential
- Coconut oil ( 3 tablespoons)
- Take a bowl and mix all the ingredients in it.
- Mix the oils properly.
- Take the oil mixture and massage the abdominal area in a circular motion with gentle hands.
According to a study conducted in 2005, it has been found that massaging the abdominal area with lemon oil, peppermint oil, and rosemary oil can help in improving constipation .
DIY essential oils diffuser blend to treat constipation
- 5 drops of rosemary oil
- 5 drops of ginger oil
- 3 drops of lavender oil
- 3 drops of clove oil
- Take your diffuser and fill water it as required.
- Add the above essential oils in it through the nozzle provided.
- Sit back, relax, and inhale the diffuse to relieve constipation.
Massage oil blend to treat constipation
- 8 drops of fennel oil
- 2 drops of eucalyptus oil
- 3 drops of lemon oil
- 2 drops of orange oil
- Coconut oil (carrier oil) 3 tablespoon
- Take a jar and mix all the ingredients in it.
- Mix it well to blend all the oils thoroughly.
- Massage the oil in a circular motion on the abdominal area.
- You can use this massage oil 2 to 3 times a day to get relief from constipation.
Side Effects And Risks Associated With The Use Of Essential Oils
Essential oils are considered a natural remedy that has almost negligible side effects. But there are certain side effects and risks attached to the use of essential oils if not used with precaution. The concentration level of essential oils is very high, which can cause certain side effects to a few people. Following are some of the side effects of using essential oils that you should keep in mind:
- Allergic reactions
If you face any of the above side effects, immediately discontinue the use of essential oils and consult a doctor.
There are certain risks as well attached to the use of essential oils, like,
- Ingesting essential oil can cause severe damage. According to a study in 2012, it has been found out that a near-fatal accident has been experienced by someone who had accidentally ingested peppermint oil . Though, you need to consider that such severe reactions are not commonly witnessed in the case of essential oils.
- Children can face another major risk as the toxicity of essential oils can be high for children and can cause a lot of damage to them. Hence, it is recommended to store essential oils away from the reach of children.
- The use of essential oils can also impose serious risks on pets. Therefore, it is advisable to enquire and do research before using any essential oil.
- Pregnant women and breastfeeding women are believed to be at risk of the use of essential oils. Hence, they should avoid it.
Essential oils are safe for use, but to ensure this, there are some precautionary measures that should be adopted.
- Undiluted essential oils are highly concentrated, so it is advisable to dilute essential oils with a carrier oil before topical application. Carrier oils like coconut oil, jojoba oil, argan oil, avocado oil, sesame oil, sweet almond oil, etc., can be used to dilute with essential oils before application.
- Always undertake a patch test before applying it.
- Avoid using essential oils for infants and children or if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Constipation is a common problem that many people face, but its effects are very painful. So, to get rid of this issue, you can always go for one of the best natural ways to use essential oils. Essential oils can help in reducing pain, and, at the same time, they can help in reducing uneasiness and discomfort. The use of essential oils will help in promoting effective bowel movement.
What essential oil promotes bowel movement?
The antispasmodic qualities of peppermint essential oil can relax the muscles in the digestive tract, causing the bowels to loosen up.
How do you use peppermint oil for constipation?
Combine 1 teaspoon of heated carrier oil, with 2 drops of peppermint essential oil. Inhale the scent while massaging this combination over the belly. The inhalation will aid in relaxing those musles while the massage will encourage bowel movement.
How much peppermint oil should you take for constipation?
For adults and children of 12 years and older, the recommended dosage of peppermint oil is one capsule, taken three times daily, until symptoms improve.
Does frankincense help with constipation?
For gastrointestinal problems and constipation, frankincense essential oil is used.
- Alexander C Ford, clinical fellow, Nicholas J Talley, professor of medicine, Brennan M R Spiegel, assistant professor of medicine, Amy E Foxx-Orenstein, associate professor of medicine, Lawrence Schiller, clinical professor, Eamonn M M Quigley, professor of medicine and human physiology, Paul Moayyedi, professor of gastroenterology. (2008). Effect of fibre, antispasmodics, and peppermint oil in the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome: systematic review and meta-analysis. https://www.bmj.com/content/337/bmj.a2313.
- Ayşe Aydinlia, Songül Karadağ. (2022). “Effects of abdominal massage applied with ginger and lavender oil for elderly with constipation: A randomized controlled trial”. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1550830722001525.
- Shamkant B. Badgujar,* Vainav V. Patel, and Atmaram H. Bandivdekar. (2014). Foeniculum vulgare Mill: A Review of Its Botany, Phytochemistry, Pharmacology, Contemporary Application, and Toxicology. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4137549/.
- Effects of Cold-Pressing and Hydrodistillation on the Active Non-volatile Components in Lemon Essential Oil and the Effects of the Resulting Oils on Aging-Related Oxidative Stress in Mice. (2021). https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fnut.2021.689094/full.
- David M. Brady, ND, DC, CCN, DACBN & Suzanne Copp, MS. Powerful antimicrobial plant extract to support gastrointestinal health. https://www.oakwaynaturals.com/content/designs_for_health/OilofOregano_TechSheetREV9.16.pdf.
- C. PRATHEEBHA R. GAYATRI DEVI A. JOTHI PRIYA. (2020). EFFECT OF PEPPERMINT AND ROSEMARY OIL ON CONSTIPATION. https://archives.biciconference.co.in/index.php/PCBMB/article/view/5303.
- Chamomile essential oils help treat constipation. https://books.google.co.in/books?hl=en&lr=&id=RNJcbhxsFtMC&oi=fnd&pg=PA8&dq=Chamomile+essential+oils+help+treat+constipation&ots=3jM9VsW9GC&sig=Gy8yOo3qGlis-79stp2Vg2jfbMw&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=Chamomile%20essential%20oils%20help%20treat%20constipation&f=false.
- Agostino Di Ciaula, Piero Portincasa, Nathalie Maes and Adelin Albert. (2018). Efficacy of bio-optimized extracts of turmeric and essential fennel oil on the quality of life in patients with irritable bowel syndrome. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6191874/.
- “Effects of abdominal massage applied with ginger and lavender oil for elderly with constipation: A randomized controlled trial”. (2022). https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1550830722001525.
- Amparo Vineyard and Elizabeth Murillo. (2003). Essential oil composition from twelve varieties of basil (Ocimum spp) grown in Colombia. https://www.scielo.br/j/jbchs/a/Bd7hTPjxfDGqQtByLd6yktx/abstract/?lang=en.
- GC/MS analysis and potential synergistic effect of mandarin and marjoram oils on Helicobacter pylori. (2022). https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/14756366.2022.2081846.
- Noura S. Dosoky and William N. Setzer. (2018). Biological Activities and Safety of Citrus spp. Essential Oils. https://www.mdpi.com/1422-0067/19/7/1966.
- Myung Ae Kim, Jung Kyu Sakong, Eun Jin Kim, Eun Ha Kim, and Eun Ha Kim. (2017). Effect of Aromatherapy Massage for the Relief of Constipation in the Elderly. https://www.jkan.or.kr/DOIx.php?id=10.4040/jkan.2005.35.1.56.
- Soumya S Nath, Chandrakant Pandey, and Debashis Roy. (2012). A near fatal case of high dose peppermint oil ingestion- Lessons learnt. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3546250/.
- 13 Amazing Essential Oils For Dandruff | Anti-Dandruff Essential Oils Remedies
- Essential Oils For Cold Sores Relief | Essential Oils To Get Rid Off Cold Sores
- 15 Best Essential Oils For Hair Growth | Essential Oils That Boost Hair Growth
- Tea Tree Oil For Cold Sores | How To Use Tea Tree Oil For Cold Sores?
- Best Essential Oils For Allergies | Essential Oils For Seasonal Allergies
- 15 Benefits of Turmeric Essential Oil – Uses and Recipes
- Essential Oils For Ants | How To Get Rid Of Ants Using Essential Oils?
- How To Use Essential Oils In Body Butter? | How To Make A Body Butter?