12+ Best Essential Oils For Constipation Relief : How To Use Them & DIY Blends
Constipation is a very common issue that many people suffer from. Constipation makes it difficult to pass the stool and can also cause pain or strain during the bowel movement. An upset stomach also sometimes leads to constipation, causing discomfort and uneasiness.
Some constipation may be simple to treat and can be treated with the help of home remedies. But certain constipation and other digestive issues might be chronic in nature and require proper treatment. Constipation that lasts for weeks or months is known as chronic constipation.
There are medications to deal with the issue of constipation, but they might have certain side effects. Due to this reason, people often incline towards natural remedies to treat constipation.
Essential oils may prove good for your constipation. Essential oils are full of health based properties extracted from different parts of plants. The use of essential oils may improve the digestive system and help in proper bowel movement.
Best Essential Oils Used for Constipation Relief
Following are some of the top essential oils used during.
1. Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint (Menthol) essential oil contains health-related properties that help in relaxing the stomach muscles, which may ease the bowel moment. Peppermint oil has menthol that has a cooling effect, and using this oil may lower the pain associated with constipation.
2. Ginger Oil
Ginger root is an ancient medicinal product with many healing properties. Ginger oil may help in improving digestion and eliminate constipation.
3. Fennel Essential Oil
Fennel oil is one of the best essential oils that people use to deal with constipation. Massaging the abdomen with this oil may result in effective bowel movement.
4. Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon oil has health-related properties that may reduce discomfort. The use of this oil promotes stimulation. Lemon oil aromatherapy may improve digestion which is crucial for constipation
5. Oregano Essential Oil
Oregano essential oil is one of the most effective essential oils that help deal with indigestion and constipation.
6. Rosemary Essential Oil
The use of natural rosemary essential oil helps the muscles. It can be used as a massage oil for the lower abdominal region which may relieve constipation.
7. Chamomile Essential Oil
Chamomile essential oil is rich in health-based properties that may soothe the muscles. The oil is diluted and massaged on the abdomen to loosen the muscles and relieve constipation and in the process improve digestion and promote gut health.
8. Turmeric Essential Oil
Turmeric oil is one of the ancient medical treatments that help in resolving many different skin issues and health conditions. Turmeric essential oils may digestive functions in a natural manner.
9. Lavender Essential Oil
The lavender essential oil has natural soothing properties. It may promote the digestive health and improve stool and bowel movement.
10. Basil Essential Oil
Basil oil has many health-related properties. Basil oil can be used when you are facing stomach issues, stomach aches etc. Basil oil may help relieve constipation pain.
11. Marjoram Essential Oil
Marjoram oil has properties that may help improve digestion and promotes effective bowel movement. It may make the stool loose and thus deal with the issue of constipation.
12. Orange Essential Oil
Orange oil has health-based properties that may help reduce cramps due to constipation. Orange oil has limonene and myrcene which promotes the digestive system's effective functioning.
Carrier Oil For Constipation
The role of castor oil in dealing with constipation is well known and needs no elaboration, but what about coconut oil for constipation?
Can we use coconut oil for constipation? Using coconut oil for constipation is a common home remedy. Coconut oil contains medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), which may have a mild laxative effect for some individuals. Taking a tablespoon of coconut oil orally or incorporating it into your diet may help aid regular bowel movements.
However, its effectiveness can vary from person to person, so it may not work for everyone. However, if you have persistent or severe constipation, it's essential to consult a healthcare professional for proper guidance on appropriate treatments.
What Are The Benefits Of Using Essential Oils For Constipation?
Essential oils have many different benefits that can help people suffering from the issue of constipation. Following are some of the benefits of essential oil for constipation:
Good Massage Oil
Diluting essential oils with carrier oils and massaging the abdominal region will soothe the muscles and increase the blood flow and my offer relief from constipation.
Nourishes The Body
Many times constipation may occur due to the lack of the nutrients in the body. Essential oils have nutrients that nourish the body.
Promotes Easy Bowel Movement
One of the causes of difficult bowel movements is constipation which also leads to pain. The use of essential oils soothes the abdominal muscles and offers relief.
How To Use Essential Oils For Constipation?
Essential oils can be used in different manners to treat the issue of constipation.
Topical use is one of the most commonly used methods to use essential oils for constipation.
Step 1- Dilute your favorite essential oils from the above-given list with a carrier oil.
Step 2- Mix well all the oils to make a nice blend.
Step 3- Store this blend in a glass jar and keep it in a cool and dark place.
Step 4- Take a few drops of this oil and massage the abdominal area for 10 to 15 minutes.
You can use a diffuser to diffuse the essential oils and inhale them to get relief from constipation. You can also use an essential oils inhaler. Along with diffusing essential oils, it is recommended that you also perform abdominal massage with essential oils to get better results in constipation treatment.
DIY Oil Blends For Digestive Issues
Recipe #1- DIY Massage Oil Blend For Constipation With Essential Oils
- 3 drops of lemon oil
- 3 drops of peppermint oil
- 3 drops of basil oil
- 5 drops of rosemary essential
- Coconut oil ( 3 tablespoons)
- Take a bowl and mix all the ingredients in it.
- Mix the oils properly.
- Take the oil mixture and massage the abdominal area in a circular motion with gentle hands.
Recipe #2 - DIY Essential Oils Diffuser Blend For Constipation
- 5 drops of rosemary oil
- 5 drops of ginger oil
- 3 drops of lavender oil
- 3 drops of clove oil
- Take your diffuser and fill water it as required.
- Add the above essential oils in it through the nozzle provided.
- Sit back, relax, and inhale the diffuse to relieve constipation.
Recipe #3 - Massage Oil Blend For Constipation
- 8 drops of fennel oil
- 2 drops of eucalyptus oil
- 3 drops of lemon oil
- 2 drops of orange oil
- Coconut oil (carrier oil) 3 tablespoon
- Take a jar and mix all the ingredients in it.
- Mix it well to blend all the oils thoroughly.
- Massage the oil in a circular motion on the abdominal area.
- You can use this massage oil 2 to 3 times a day to get relief from constipation.
Side Effects And Risks Associated With The Use Of Essential Oils
Essential oils are considered a natural remedy that has almost negligible side effects. But there are certain side effects and risks attached to the use of essential oils if not used with precaution. The concentration level of essential oils is very high, which can cause certain side effects to a few people.
Following are some of the side effects of using essential oils that you should keep in mind:
- Allergic reactions
If you face any of the above side effects, immediately discontinue the use of essential oils and consult a doctor.
There are certain risks as well attached to the use of essential oils, like,
- Ingesting essential oil can cause severe damage. According to a study in 2012, it has been found out that a near-fatal accident has been experienced by someone who had accidentally ingested peppermint oil . Though, you need to consider that such severe reactions are not commonly witnessed in the case of essential oils.
- Children can face another major risk as the toxicity of essential oils can be high for children and can cause a lot of damage to them. Hence, it is recommended to store essential oils away from the reach of children.
- The use of essential oils can also impose serious risks on pets. Therefore, it is advisable to enquire and do research before using any essential oil.
- Pregnant women and breastfeeding women are believed to be at risk of the use of essential oils. Hence, they should avoid it.
Essential oils are safe for use, but to ensure this, there are some precautionary measures that should be adopted.
- Undiluted essential oils are highly concentrated, so it is advisable to dilute essential oils with a carrier oil before topical application. Carrier oils like coconut oil, jojoba oil, argan oil, avocado oil, sesame oil, sweet almond oil, etc., can be used to dilute with essential oils before application.
- Always undertake a patch test before applying it.
- Avoid using essential oils for infants and children or if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Constipation is a common problem that many people face, but its effects are very painful. So, to get rid of this issue, you can always go for one of the best natural ways to use essential oils. Essential oils can help in reducing pain, and, at the same time, they can help in reducing uneasiness and discomfort. The use of essential oils will help in promoting effective bowel movement.
What essential oil promotes bowel movement?
The qualities of peppermint essential oil can relax the muscles in the digestive tract, causing the bowels to loosen up.
How do you use peppermint oil for constipation?
Combine 1 teaspoon of heated carrier oil, with 2 drops of peppermint essential oil. Inhale the scent while massaging this combination over the belly. The inhalation will aid in relaxing those muscles while the massage will encourage bowel movement.
How much peppermint oil should you take for constipation?
Mix 2-3 drops of essential oil with any carrier oil and massage the abdomen thoroughly.
Does frankincense help with constipation?
For gastrointestinal problems and constipation, frankincense essential oil may be used.
Does oregano oil make you poop?
Oregano oil is not typically used as a laxative, and merely applying the oil will not promote bowel movements. However, like some concentrated natural oils, oregano oil too may have some effect on the gastrointestinal tract in some individuals. However, we do not recommend the ingestion of any essential oil to deal with constipation or other stomach-related ailments. If you are experiencing gastrointestinal issues or looking for a natural remedy to regulate bowel movements, it's advisable to consult with a healthcare professional or a qualified aromatherapist.
- Neroli Essential Oil For Hair Growth: Benefits & Uses Of Neroli Oil For Hair
- Lavender Essential Oil For Scar Healing | Wound Healing Potential Of Lavender Oil
- Star Anise Essential Oil Guide: Uses, Benefits And DIY Recipes
- Best Essential Oils For Hay Fever | Essential Oils For Seasonal Allergies
- Tea Tree Oil Vs Argan Oil: Find Which One Is Better For Hair
- Best Essential Oils For Grey Hair | Treat Premature Greying Of Hair Naturally Using Essential Oils
- Best Essential Oils For Gardening | How To Use Essential Oils In The Garden For Pest Control
- Essential Oils Guide For Beginners: Everything You Need To Know & How To Use Essential Oils
- Essential Oils For Whiteheads | Best Essential Oils For Acne