Peppermint Oil For Lips – Get Plump Lips with Peppermint Balm
Supple and plumb lips are voguish not only for females but males as well. The photo-savvy world may rely on filter apps every now and then while looking for that perfect selfie, but it still craves the ideal look when the camera is not pointed. There are several products available for lip care including lip balms, lip moisturizers, lip sticks and others.
There are many cosmetic lip care products, but wouldn’t it be nice if there was something natural that can be applied on the lips and yet give the same benefits as that of the chemical cosmetics. There are carrier oils that can be applied on the lips to give it a supple look. But, adding a few drops of essential oils to the carrier oil will work wonders. Here we will focus on peppermint oil for lips.
Benefits Of Peppermint Oil For Lips
Peppermint essential oil is extracted from the Mentha piperita and has several medicinal uses. Some of the potent properties of peppermint oil are listed here. Use peppermint oil to plump the lips, and have a positive effect on the skin and beauty. Produce a pout with a few drops of peppermint oil for plumper lips.
The menthol in the oil refreshes and gives the lips a natural coolness. This plant therapy is a beauty hack for making your lips smooth naturally. Understanding the properties and benefits of peppermint oil is essential for applying the oil for different purposes. An August 2005 study published in the journal Phytomedicine investigated the properties of peppermint oil (1).
1. Refreshing Sensation
Peppermint oil provides a refreshing and cooling sensation on the lips, which can be especially beneficial on hot days or when your lips feel dry and chapped.
2. Flavour & Scent
Peppermint oil has a pleasant scent and flavor that can help freshen your breath and provide a pleasant taste when applied to the lips.
DIY Recipes of Peppermint Oil for Lips
Now that we know the properties of peppermint essential oil, let us learn some homemade DIY recipes with peppermint oil for lips. Most of the ingredients in the list are essential oils, carrier oil and natural products.
DIY Recipe #1
Lip Cream With Peppermint Essential Oil
Plump lips have a natural attractive quality. With peppermint oil one can make a homemade lip cream recipe that will result in plump and supple lips.
- 6 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 4 tablespoons of Shea butter
- 2 tablespoons of sweet almond oil
- Make sure that both almond oil and Shea butter are melted. For this, warm both the ingredients together.
- To this, add peppermint oil.
- Mix the blends well, and store it in the refrigerator.
- The lip cream is ready to use.
Although the recipe is centered on peppermint oil, Shea butter is the star here. Shea butter makes the lips softer and supple; it is often used to treat chapped lips. The almond oil in the mix nourishes the lips and keeps it hydrated. The peppermint oil protects the lips and nourishes it.
DIY Recipe #2
Lip Gloss with Peppermint Oil For Lips
- 4 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 2 drops of sweet orange essential oil
- 1 tablespoon of jojoba oil
- Coriander leaves (or 1 drop of coriander essential oil)
- Roll on bottle (optional)
- Mix the oils (peppermint, sweet orange and jojoba oils) together in a small cup.
- In case the gloss is to be stored in a roll on bottle, then increase the quantities of the ingredients.
- Now add coriander leaves to the blend.
- Refrigerate the entire content for an hour.
- Strain out the coriander leaves.
- The oils blend can be applied on the lips with fingers or can be transferred to a roll on bottle.
- Store the homemade lip gloss in a cold and dark place.
- Applying the gloss will give the lips natural suppleness.
Here, the sweet orange oil can be replaced by tea tree oil as it has more potent properties. Jojoba oil must be used in lip gloss as it is also a wax and thus keeps the lips hydrated giving it luster and keeping it hydrated.
DIY Recipe #3
Plump Lips with Peppermint – Cinnamon Oils Blend
- 3 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 3 drops of cinnamon essential oil
- 2 tablespoons of fractionated coconut oil
- Take all the oils and mix it uniformly.
- Here, instead of fractionated coconut oil, a lip gloss can also be used.
- Apply the mix on the lips for plump looking lips.
Both the essential oil ingredients used here have a lip plumping effect. The mix should be applied on the lips regularly to get fuller lips. The oils also increase the blood circulation to the lips, thus giving it a pinkish hue. Before applying this essential oils blend for lips, exfoliate the lips to clear the dead skin cells.
DIY Recipe #4
Easy Lip Balm with Peppermint and Coconut Oils
- 5 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 6 drops of lavender essential oil
- 2 tablespoons of virgin coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon of Vaseline
- Heat a pan and add coconut oil to it. Keep the flame low and add Vaseline to it.
- Mix it well and switch off the flame.
- Next, add all the remaining ingredients and give it a nice mix.
- Store the blend in a clean glass jar.
- Apply the oils blend on the lip regularly to get luscious lips.
The coconut oil in the blend will keep the oil hydrated. A tablespoon of jojoba oil can also be added to give the blend a glossier look because of its waxy nature. The carrier oils in the blends nourish the skin and repair damaged skin. The oils also protect the skin from external damage. While storing the lip oil blend, the jar should be cleaned thoroughly to increase the longevity of the oils.
Peppermint Oil For Lips – How Long Does It Last?
Peppermint essential oil and its blends are not a miracle solution that keeps the lips plump forever. The duration for which the oil keeps the lips plump depends on various factors.
- The thickness or thinness of a person’s lip skin.
- The amount of oil used.
- How the person’s skin reacts to the oil(s).
The best practice is to keep reapplying the oil on the skin several times a day. Of course, the result will vary for people.
Cracked and chapped lips are effectively treated with the use of essential oils. Peppermint essential oil is one of the popular oils in lip care. This essential oil has many characteristics that protects the lips and keeps it moisturized.
The oil also has many compounds that nourish the skin and lips, thus making it look supple and plump. Creating homemade recipes with essential oils and carrier oils will keep the lips supple and luscious.
Is peppermint oil safe for lips?
The natural lip plumping peppermint essential oil is safe for the lips. The oil must be sufficiently diluted before applying on the lips.
Does peppermint oil make your lips pink?
Peppermint essential oil has circulatory properties which increases the flow of blood when applied on the skin. When it is applied on the lisp it increases blood flow in the lips, thus making it fuller and giving it a red hue.
Does peppermint cause dry lips?
Peppermint oil may cause side effects in some people and it may cause dryness of lips. However, many people use peppermint essential oil on the lips to keep the lips moisturized. Consult an expert before using peppermint oil on the lips.
Will peppermint oil permanently plump lips?
The duration for which the oil keeps the lips plump depends on various factors – the shape of the lips, the frequency of using the oil and the skin’s reaction to the oil.
- Phytomedicine. Pharmacology and preclinical pharmacokinetics of peppermint oil. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0944711305001078
- Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. Chemical Composition and Biological Properties of Essential Oils of Two Mint Species. https://www.ajol.info/index.php/tjpr/article/view/93279
- Complement Ther Med. (2021). The Effects of Peppermint Oil on Nausea, Vomiting and Retching in Cancer Patients Undergoing Chemotherapy: An Open Label Quasi-Randomized Controlled Pilot Study. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33197662/
- Relaxing Essential Oil Blends – DIY Recipes For Peace Of Mind
- 8 DIY Recipes For Focus Essential Oil Blends
- 8 DIY Uplifting Essential Oil Blend Recipes
- Relax and Rejuvenate: Our Ultimate Guide to Detox Baths with Essential Oils and Epsom Salt Bath
- 10 DIY Anxiety Relief Essential Oil Blend Recipes
- 11 DIY Sleep Essential Oil Blend Recipes
- Unlocking Serenity: Calming Essential Oil Blends for Relaxation, and Anxiety Relief in Your Diffuser
- Is Diffusing Essential Oils Safe For Your Lungs?