12 Foot Massage Oils – Essential and Carrier Oils (Research Included)
The body stands on the feet; it is the foundation pillars designated with keeping the body erect. And they are strong; but, that does not mean that they should not be cared for. The feet also have several nerve endings that affect different parts and functions of the body and mind. Massages, acupuncture and reflexology makes use of these nerve endings to stimulate different parts and functions of the body.
Besides the nerve endings, we put our feet through a lot throughout the day. The long standing hours and other activities crack the heel and damage it internally. Massages with proper foot massage oils rejuvenate the feet and stimulate the nerve endings.
Massaging the feet with foot massage oils increases the blood circulation in the whole body. It has other benefits for the skin as well. Choosing the right carrier oil and essential oil for foot massage also hydrates the skin in the feet and nourishes it .
Carrier oils and essential oils are the perfect foot massage oils as they are natural and are replete with nutrients and healthy compounds. Here are some of the best foot massage oils.
Best Foot Massage Oils – Essential Oils And Carrier Oils
There are different essential oils and carrier oils available online. Each of these oils has its own benefits and properties. Here, we have presented a list of essential oils and carrier oils that are good for massage on the feet.
1. Coconut Oil Foot Massage Oil
Coconut oil and coconut oil containing products have multiple benefits when applied or massaged on the feet. Coconut oil is the easy to get and is easy on the pocket and is the best massage oil for feet. It is also used as a carrier oil of choice for diluting essential oils for foot massages.
The practice of blending coconut oil and hibiscus for foot massage is followed by many. Both the oils are replete with nutrients that take care of the feet.
The oil mix exfoliates the skin on the feet and manages cracked heels. A good massage with the oil also releases tension in the foot. The foot oil massage works wonders for muscles.
Applying Coconut Oil In Feet At Night – Good Or Bad?
Applying coconut oil to the feet at night is considered a good habit. It gives the skin enough time to absorb the oil. Applying warm oil to the feet at night is practiced in many parts of the world. Performing this warm oil massage to the feet is not possible every night, but once in a while clean the feet and massage the oil.
Its skin absorbs the oil and the massage boosts the blood circulation. Regular oil application will soften the feet and rejuvenate it.
Thus, the oil nourishes the skin. Applying coconut oil regularly to the feet locks in the moisture, hydrates the skin and prevents the feet from getting dry. Massaging the feet with coconut oil everyday or once in a while keeps the heels soft and prevents cracked heel issues.
2. Olive Oil for Feet Massage
Olive oil for skin is well-known, but olive oil is also used as foot massage oil. A quick olive oil massage on the feet also relaxes the body and mind.
3. Sesame Oil For Feet Massage
Abhyanga in the traditional medical practice of Ayurveda means self-massage. In Ayurveda, self-message is to be done before bathing. But, massaging the feet with oil can be done as a bedtime routine. Massaging the feet with oil hardly takes any time, but its benefits are many. It not only benefits the foot, but the whole body.
The oil to choose for regular massaging is sesame oil. The sesame oil has a warming effect that increases the blood flow.
Since the oil makes the foot warm, it is used during the winter season to keep the foot warm. Sesame oil should be warmed and then massaged on the feet. The oil is also used as a massage oil to nurture broken bones to good health. It has several compounds that deliver much needed nutrients to the skin and muscles.
4. Jojoba Oil for Foot Massage
Jojoba oil is natural and pure and an excellent option for foot massage, either as standalone oil or with essential oils. The foot has several nerve endings and massaging it with the oil relaxes the body and mind.
Jojoba oil relaxes the nerves. Take a handful of oil and massage the feet till close to bedtime. Make sure that the oil is fully absorbed.
Essential Oils for Foot Massage
5. Lavender Essential Oil Foot Massage
The essential oil of lavender is one of the most popular oils. The oil is a popular choice in inhalation aromatherapy. However, it has other health-related benefits for the body. Applying the lavender oil to the feet relaxes the foot muscles. It is one of the best essential oil foot massage oils because of its versatility.
6. Rose Geranium Essential Oil for Feet Massage
Extracted from the Pelargonium graveolens var. roseum plant, rose geranium is a potent massage oil because of its health-related properties. The body proportion of most people is spread unequally. So, the foot carries more weight than it ideally should. This excess baggage puts a lot of strain on the bones and muscles of the foot. Topical application of rose geranium oil on the foot relieves fatigue of the foot muscles and releases tension in the tissues and ligaments. It also nourishes the feet.
7. Peppermint Essential Oil For Foot Massage
Peppermint essential oil is known for its cooling effect. The bioactive compounds in the oil also ensure relaxation.
8. Chamomile Essential Oil For Foot Massage
The essential obtained from the Matricaria recutita plant has health-related properties, which makes it an efficient oil for massaging the foot. Chamomile oil is also considered to be a gentle oil and can be used by everyone. It can be diluted with carrier oils including almond oil or jojoba oil and massage on the foot for relaxation.
9. Niaouli Essential Oil For Massage
The essential oil of niaouli is also popular by its botanical name, i.e. melaleuca quinquenervia essential oil. This oil is not as popular as other essential oils, but provides good protection against infections. The oil is especially useful as a foot massage oil when camping outdoors. It can be applied on the foot in case of insect bites, burs, cuts and skin problems.
10. Helichrysum Essential Oil Feet Massage
The muscles and joints can be significantly relaxed by massaging the feet with helichrysum essential oil. The oil also has a pleasant aroma.
11. Feet Massage with Lemongrass Essential Oil
The aroma of lemongrass is well known. Hence, massaging with the oil in the evening will provide relief not just to the feet but to the mind as well.
12. Cypress Essential Oil for Foot Massage
The cypress oil has strong health-based qualities. Massaging the feet with this essential release the tension in the feet muscles. It is used in the winter season to hydrate the skin and make the feet supple. It is used in many cosmetic products.
DIY Recipes For Foot Massage Oils
Foot Massage Oils Blends In The Morning
Grab your DIY massage oil first thing in the morning and apply to the feet. Use suitable pressure with your thumb to massage. In case of pain, reduce the pressure or stop immediately. The oils absorb most easily when applied in circular motion.
- 6 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
- 3 drops of bergamot essential oil
- 3 drops of thyme essential oil
- 2 drops of tea tree essential oil
- 3 tablespoons of argan oil
- 4 drops of cypress essential oil
- 4 drops of lemongrass essential oil
- 6 drops of rosemary essential oil
- 2 tablespoons of jojoba oil
Foot Massage Oils Blends In The Evening
- 6 drops of lavender essential oil
- 6 drops of ylang ylang essential oil
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 6 drops of Roman chamomile essential oil
- 3 drops of Clary sage essential oil
- 6 drops of sweet marjoram essential oil
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
How To Massage Foot With Oils
Overall, massaging with essential oils for cracked heels concerns can promote the healing of the cracked skin of your foot. They can also help prevent infection by keeping the skin clean and moisturized.
The procedure of massaging the foot with oils is quite easy and quick. However, here are the step-by-step instructions for a foot massage with oils.
- Just before you go to bed, wash your feet and wipe them dry.
- Keep the oils you need near the bed.
- Next, sit on your bed with your feet up.
- Take a handful of the oil and massage the feet one at a time.
- While massaging the feet, do it firmly. Apply pressure on the soles and toes. Apply the oil in between the toes. It would be helpful if you learn about the plantar muscles and nerves.
- Press each toe and apply as much pressure as you can. However, do not try to overdo it and get tired.
- Massage the length of the foot.
- Do this for 5 minutes on each foot; 10 minutes in total.
- Using regular oil would suffice; but, if you can, then make use of warm oil for massages.
- If the feet are too oily, make sure to wipe it off gently. Do not rub off the entire oil.
Natural foot massage oils give relief to the feet. Foot massage oils must be included in foot care regimen to keep the feet injury free. In this article, we have mentioned the list of essential oils and carrier oils (with research) that are beneficial for the feet. Massaging the feet also ensures good rest. Hence, include foot massages with oil in your bedtime routine. Massage the feet to refresh the feet, but don't forget to give the feet enough rest.
What oil is best for foot massage?
There are several essential oils and carriers that are considered best for foot massage. Some of the best oils are as follows:
- Lavender essential oil
- Rose geranium essential oil
- Coconut oil
- Jojoba oil
How do you make foot massage oil?
Mix 4 to 8 drops of the essential oil to 2 to 3 tablespoons of carrier oils and apply the mix directly to the foot. Higher quantities of the oil can be mixed and stored in a glass jar.
What are the benefits of massage oil on feet?
Some of the benefits of massaging the feet with oils are: -
- Improved blood circulation.
- Soft and supple skin on the feet. It avoids cracked heels.
- Release of tension in the foot muscles.
Does putting essential oils on foot work?
Putting essential oils on foot has numerous benefits not only for the feet, but also for overall health.
- Food Chem Toxicol. (2017). Enhanced barrier functions and anti-inflammatory effect of cultured coconut extract on human skin. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28564614/
- Complementary Therapies in Medicine. (2019). Short-term effects of massage with olive oil on the severity of uremic restless legs syndrome: A double-blind placebo-controlled trial. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0965229919301980
- Archives of Medical Science. The use of deep friction massage with olive oil as a means of prevention and treatment of sports injuries in ancient times. https://www.termedia.pl/Review-paper-The-use-of-deep-friction-massage-with-olive-oil-as-a-means-of-prevention-and-treatment-of-sports-injuries-in-ancient-times,19,15530,0,1.html
- Journal of Complementary and Integrative Medicine. The effects of foot massage on hemodialysis patients’ sleep quality and restless leg syndrome: a comparison of lavender and sweet orange essential oil topical application. https://www.degruyter.com/document/doi/10.1515/jcim-2020-0121/html
- Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health (2022). Effects of Aroma Foot Massage on Sleep Quality and Constipation Relief among the Older Adults Living in Residential Nursing Facilities. https://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/19/9/5567
- Int J Community Based Nurs Midwifery. (2020) Effects of Foot Massage on Severity of Fatigue and Quality of Life in Hemodialysis Patients: A Randomized Controlled Trial. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7153426/
- International Journal of Aromatherapy. (2006) Which essential oil is better for hygienic massage practice? https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0962456205000652
- Relaxing Essential Oil Blends – DIY Recipes For Peace Of Mind
- 8 DIY Recipes For Focus Essential Oil Blends
- 8 DIY Uplifting Essential Oil Blend Recipes
- Relax and Rejuvenate: Our Ultimate Guide to Detox Baths with Essential Oils and Epsom Salt Bath
- 10 DIY Anxiety Relief Essential Oil Blend Recipes
- 11 DIY Sleep Essential Oil Blend Recipes
- Unlocking Serenity: Calming Essential Oil Blends for Relaxation, and Anxiety Relief in Your Diffuser
- Is Diffusing Essential Oils Safe For Your Lungs?