8+ Best Essential Oils For Cracked Heels
Cracked heels are harmless but they can sometimes cause a lot of pain and irritation. Some cracked heels turn out to be very bad and become flaky and start to bleed. In such situations, people look for options that can provide them instant relief without any negative repercussions. Also, people look for options that they can use in the comfort of their homes and are not required to visit clinics for treatment.
Essential oils come to the rescue for people suffering from cracked heels. Essential oils are extracted from plants and are rich in nutrients and active compounds that have health-related properties that may aid in healing.
Essential oils have been used for ages to treat different skin and health conditions. Essential oils are natural remedies that can help fix dry skin and cracked feet. Bring the aromatherapy and spa experience with essential oils to your home. Below is a list of some of the amazing essential oils that you can use to heal your cracked feet.
What Are Some Of The Best Essential Oils For Cracked Heels?
Following are some of the best oil for cracked feet:
1. Lavender essential oil
Lavender oil is one of the best essential oils that are widely used for many different reasons. It has several health related properties. Lavender oil is good for cracked feet and also relieves itchiness. It is also used as a natural exfoliator.
Lavender oil has antibacterial properties that help in killing bacteria and germs and ensure that any sort of skin infection does not spread further. This is one of the best oil for dry feet.
2. Peppermint essential oil
Peppermint oil is one of the most effective essential oils. It can help moisturize dry skin, and soothes and smoothes the foot. Peppermint oil also inhibits any ailments arising from the cracked heel.
Peppermint oil is rich in menthol content which is a natural calming and cooling compound that helps calm the skin.
3. Tea tree essential oil
Tea tree oil is commonly used in skincare routines for many different purposes. It is one of the best essential oils for cracked feet.
Tea tree is rich in an active ingredient called terpinene and has many health-related properties. It has natural properties that help in skin conditions.
4. Eucalyptus essential oil
Eucalyptus oil has the health property that can help manage cracked feet. Massaging the feet with this essential oil improves blood circulation, which helps in the quick healing of cracked heels. This is one of the best oils for cracked heels.
5. Geranium essential oil
Geranium oil is one of the commonly used essential oils. Geranium oil is rich in nutrients that can help in the quick take care of cracked heels.
6. Lemon essential oil
Lemon oil is good for dull and dry skin. It improves blood circulation when massaged. You can massage your skin with this oil to help heal dry skin and feet. It has a warming effect and can be used in a foot bath.
7. Oregano essential oil
Oregano oil has rich properties that help in treating skin issues and naturally take care of them. Oil of oregano has warming properties that promote wellbeing of cracked feet. This is the best oil for dry cracked feet.
8. Chamomile essential oil
Chamomile oil is a great essential oil that helps heal cracked feet. It has natural properties that can soothe the skin. You can try this oil in the form of foot oil for cracked heels.
9. Rosemary essential oil
Rosemary oil has properties that may prevent any problems with cracked heels. It can be diluted and applied on the heels regularly.
You can use these essential oils for dry skin on feet.
How To Use Essential Oils To Fix Cracked Heels And Dry Feet?
Essential oils can be used in different ways to heal cracked feet:
1. Massaging the foot
You can add any of your favorite essential oil with carrier oils like coconut oil, sesame oil, sweet almond oil, argan oil, avocado oil, etc. You can use this blend to massage your foot. It will give extra nourishment and moisturization to your feet and will help you heal your cracked heels quickly. Massaging the feet with essential oil will help reduce dryness and will make the skin soft and supple.
2. Foot bath
You can add a few drops of essential oil in a foot bath and then soak your feet in it for 15 minutes.
3. Overnight moisturizing socks
You need to massage your feet with diluted essential oil and then slather a good amount of oil on your feet and wear thin cotton socks. Leave this overnight, it will heal your skin faster.
You can follow the following steps to take extra care of your cracked heels:
Step 1: Exfoliation
Exfoliating your feet will help in removing dead and dry skin. You can use baking soda for exfoliation and add warm water to it to make a thick paste. Use this paste to exfoliate the heels by massaging them in a circular motion.
Step 2: Bathing your feet
Bathing your feet with essential oils can help heal your heels faster. It will help remove dry skin and make your feet more soft and supple. Essential oils have many properties that help different skin conditions.
Take warm water, add a few drops of essential oil to it and soak your feet for 20 to 30 minutes.
Step 3: Moisturize your feet
Moisturizing the skin is very essential to retain its softness and to protect against dryness. You can add essential oils to a lotion and apply them on your feet.
DIY Essential Oil Recipes To Treat Cracked Heels
Following are some of the essential oil remedies for cracked heels:
DIY essential oil roll-on blend for cracked heels
- 10 drops of tea tree oil
- 10 drops of lavender oil
- 5 drops of geranium oil
- 5 drops of peppermint oil
- Coconut oil (Or any other carrier oil of your choice)
- 10 ml roll-on bottle
- Take the roll-on bottle and add the above essential oils to it.
- Fill the remaining gap with coconut oil.
- Shake the bottle gently to mix all the oils together.
- Store the roll-on in a cool and dark place.
- Apply the roll-on on your cracked heels and wear a pair of socks for better results.
- You can apply this roll-on blend twice a day.
DIY essential oil foot soak for cracked feet
- 10 drops of tea tree oil
- 5 drops of lavender oil
- 5 drops of eucalyptus oil
- Pumice stone
- Epsom salts
- Warm water
- Fill the tub with warm water and add Epsom salts to it.
- Add the essential oils in it and stir well.
- Soak your feet in it for 15 to 20 minutes.
- After this, start rubbing the dead skin with the help of a pumice stone. It will help in removing the flakes.
- Rinse your legs with warm water and use a towel to dry your feet.
- After this, you can apply any healing balm or essential oil roll-on.
DIY essential oil foot soak to release pain in cracked heels
- 5 drops of eucalyptus oil
- 4 drops of peppermint oil
- 2 drops of lemon oil
- 3 drops of peppermint oil
- Hot water
- Take a tub and add warm water to it.
- Add the above essential oils in it and soak your heels in warm water for 15 minutes.
- You can do this twice a day to get fast relief from cracked heel pain.
DIY essential oil blend to heal dry cracked feet
- 5 drops of lavender oil
- 3 drops of geranium oil
- 5 drops of tea tree oil
- Jojoba oil (Carrier oil)
- 30 ml glass bottle
- Take the glass bottle and add all the essential oils to it.
- Fill the remaining space with jojoba oil.
- Shake the bottle gently to mix all the oils.
- Store this blend in a cool and dark place.
- Use this oil twice a day and apply it to your cracked feet.
Points To Remember
- Avoid using undiluted essential oils directly on your skin as it can cause skin irritation and/or allergic reactions, especially if you have sensitive skin.
- Always dilute essential oils with carrier oil to help heal your cracked skin.
- Mix 3 to 5 drops of essential oil in 1 ounce of carrier oil.
- Avoid using essential oil if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. If you want to use it then consult your doctor before use.
- Always undertake a patch test before applying essential oils to the affected area to see if there is any allergic reaction.
- If you experience any allergic reaction, immediately stop the use of essential oils and consult a doctor.
This article discusses best oil for dry, cracked feet. Cracked heels are the result of extremely dry feet. Cracked heels can also be caused due to many different reasons like dehydrated skin, cold weather, dry heat, lack of moisture, calluses, open footwear, and foot pronation. Other causes of cracked heels are aging, deficiency of vitamins, health disorders, obesity, etc. There are natural remedies available that can help fix cracked heels. You can treat cracked feet or heels with essential oil.
Essential oils have properties that can help heal the skin, like dry cracked heels. For healing cracked heels you need to take proper foot care. You need to exfoliate your heels to remove dead skin cells from your dry heels. To improve the skin health of your feet you can massage your feet with essential oils to treat cracked heels. You need to massage the oil in a circular motion on the skin around your feet to keep your heels healthy and provide necessary moisture.
What essential oils are good for cracked heels?
Lavender oil, peppermint oil, eucalyptus oil, lemon oil, geranium oil, tea tree oil, chamomile oil, oregano oil, and rosemary oil are some of the essential oils that are good for cracked heels.
How to heal cracked heels?
You can massage your feet by mixing essential oil and carrier oil to heal cracked feet. You can soak your feet in warm water mixed with essential oils to help heal cracked heels faster.
- Dr. Luxita Sharma, Meghna Chandra and Dr. Puneeta Ajmera. International Journal of Physiology, Nutrition and Physical Education. 2019, Vol. 4, Issue 1. https://www.journalofsports.com/archives/2019/vol4/issue1/4-1-317.
- Filomena Nazzaro, Florinda Fratianni, Laura De Martino, Raffaele Coppola and Vincenzo De Feo. (2013).Effect of Essential Oils on Pathogenic Bacteria. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3873673/.
- Terpinen-4-ol, the Main Bioactive Component of Tea Tree Oil, as an Innovative Antimicrobial Agent against Legionella pneumophila. (2022). https://www.mdpi.com/2076-0817/11/6/682.
- Cassandra Bramston and Caroline Robinson. (2015). Is eucalyptus oil an effective antifungal treatment for onychomycosis with and without nail matrix infection?. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4595230/.
- Journal of Plant Sciences. (2021). Essential Oils: Magical Ingredients for Skin Care. https://www.sciencepublishinggroup.com/journal/paperinfo?journalid=215&doi=10.11648/j.jps.20210902.14.
- Ané Orchard and Sandy van Vuuren. (2017). Commercial Essential Oils as Potential Antimicrobials to Treat Skin Diseases. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5435909/.
- Neroli Essential Oil For Hair Growth: Benefits & Uses Of Neroli Oil For Hair
- Lavender Essential Oil For Scar Healing | Wound Healing Potential Of Lavender Oil
- Star Anise Essential Oil Guide: Uses, Benefits And DIY Recipes
- Best Essential Oils For Hay Fever | Essential Oils For Seasonal Allergies
- Tea Tree Oil Vs Argan Oil: Find Which One Is Better For Hair
- Best Essential Oils For Grey Hair | Treat Premature Greying Of Hair Naturally Using Essential Oils
- Best Essential Oils For Gardening | How To Use Essential Oils In The Garden For Pest Control
- Essential Oils Guide For Beginners: Everything You Need To Know & How To Use Essential Oils
- Essential Oils For Whiteheads | Best Essential Oils For Acne