Top 10 Essential Oils For Blackheads And The Best Carrier Oil
The tiny dark coloured bumps on the skin are a sore sight and causes panic in many people. These black bumps are called blackheads and results from too much sebum excretion and dirt accumulation beneath the skin. Blackheads are largely concentrated on the nose, forehead and the chin, known in salon parlance as the T zone.
Blackheads can result in mild acnes as it is due to the oil secretion by the skin. Now, before we proceed further, it is imperative to note that the essential oils for blackheads are not merely focused on removing blackheads, it has other benefits as well.
Blackheads are a kind of acne vulgaris which is formed when the openings of the hair follicles get clogged. It is a bump that gets filled with oil that attracts more dirt. There are many causes of blackheads including hormonal changes, skin irritation and infection, bacterial buildup and formation of biofilms, certain drugs, certain cosmetic products and excess secretion of sebum by the glands.
Disciplined use of essential oils for blackheads effectively removes blackheads. Essential oils have several compounds and ingredients that benefit the skin. The oils have antimicrobial, antifungal, anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. It also supplied the skin with good amounts of nutrients including fatty acids and vitamins. Not only does it remove the blackheads, it lightens the skin and soothes skin irritation.
Blackheads can be treated with store bought creams and lotions; however, when one has the chance to treat blackheads with organic products it is better to avoids cosmetic creams. Moreover, the essential oils have many other benefits. Besides, many cosmetic products use several essential oils and carrier oils as ingredients.
Properties Of Essential Oils For Blackheads
Essential oils have many therapeutic properties useful for the skin and hair. It can treat skin conditions and infections and can be used for general skin health as well. Essential oils are organic plant oils in concentrated form and have skin rejuvenating and repairing properties.
It is applied on the skin after diluting with vegetable oils or neutral oils. Some of the properties of essential oils useful in taking care of blackheads are mentioned here: -
1. Anti-inflammatory Properties of Essential Oils
Most essential oils have anti-inflammatory properties that help deal with pain arising from blackheads and acne breakouts.
2. Antimicrobial Properties of Essential Oils
Essential oils have antibacterial and antimicrobial properties that will ward off bacterial infections and pathogens from the skin.
3. Non Comedogenic Properties of Essential Oils
Oils have the habit of sticking to the skin and clogging the pores. Essential oils and the carrier oils used to dilute these oils are non comedogenic – meaning these oils do not stick to the pores and block the skin. The list of essential oils for blackheads mentioned here are all non comedogenic oils.
4. Sebum Regulating Properties of Essential Oils
Sebum or oil is secreted by the glands within the skin. Excess secretion of sebum is caused by hormones, climate changes, certain foods or medicines, and stress. One of the problems caused by excess oil on the face is blackheads. Essential oils have the property of regulating the secretion of oils from the skin.
5. Skin Lightening Properties of Essential Oils
Topical application of diluted essential oil on the skin on a regular basis will reduce scars and pigmentation, thus lightening the skin. Blackheads leave behind scars and blemishes which can be diminished by applying essential oils. The oils with antioxidant properties are effective in reducing skin pigmentation and even the skin tone.
6. Astringent Properties of Essential Oils
Blackheads when removed cause the pores to enlarge. The astringent properties of essential oils reduce the size of the ores.
10 Best Essential Oils For Blackheads
There are many essential oils that can be used to remove and prevent blackheads. The medicinal properties and nutrients of the essential oils rejuvenate the skin. Let’s find out the oils that can be used to solve the blackhead problem.
1. Tea Tree Essential Oil for Blackhead
Melaleuca oil or tea tree essential oil is potent essential oil with anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, antifungal and antioxidant properties. This oil has soothing and disinfecting properties as well. The oil extracted from the plant Melaleuca Alternifoliais known for its medicinal properties world over. The oil with a woody and herbaceous aroma eliminates the bacteria around the blackheads, thus preventing infections and acne.
It is diluted and used as a disinfectant that cleanses the pores. The potency of the oil also prevents excess oil secretion by the skin. The penetration power of the oil is high, and it reaches the deep parts of the skin and nourishes it. When the blackhead region is rubbed with diluted tea tree oil it dries the blackhead and loosens it, thereby making it easier to remove.
The oil can be wiped off the face with a clean towel soaked in warm water. The International Journal of Dermatology has published the dermatological benefits of tea tree oil in 2013 (1).
2. Eucalyptus Essential Oil For Removing Blackheads
Extracted from the highly useful eucalyptus tree, the eucalyptus essential oil has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antiseptic properties. The oil that is mainly used for respiratory health issues also has skin benefits. Eucalyptus oil is used as a preventative oil against blackheads.
When applied on the skin it lowers the secretion of oil and prevents the causes of blackheads. The skin penetrative properties of eucalyptus oil were published in the journal BMC Infectious Diseases in 2010 (2).
3. Clary Sage Essential Oil Blackhead Therapy
This floral and fruity aromatic oil is extracted from the Salvia sclarea herb. It has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties that prevents and treats infections and inflammation of the skin. Clary sage essential oil is a natural astringent and used in many cosmetic products.
It cleanses the skin and pores and avoids excess dirt from accumulating in the pores. The irritation of the skin caused by blackheads is also treated by applying Clary sage oil. Clary sage oil is a gentle oil that reduces the irritation in the T zone.
4. Lavender Essential Oil For Blackheads Remedy
Lavender essential oil is a popular and versatile oil extracted from the lavandula plant. It is very popular in inhalation aromatherapy, but is beneficial for skincare as well. Diluted lavender essential oil is used to treat skin conditions including dermatitis, eczema and psoriasis. It acts as a cleansing agent that unclogs the pores and its antifungal properties prevents infections.
Its main purpose concerning blackheads is cleansing of the pores and preventing accumulation of debris in the hair follicles. The popular way of using this oil is steaming the face with water and lavender oil mix and exfoliating the face. The effect of lavender oil on facial skin has been published in the journal Molecules (3).
5. Lemon Essential Oil For Blackhead Removal and Skin Care
Lemon and lemon essential oil both has an abundance of Vitamin C. The antioxidant nature of this vitamin protects the skin from damage and aid cell regeneration. It also evens the skin texture and brightens it. Lemon oil combats the pathogens that cause blackheads. It can be mixed with facial scrubs to clean the clogged pores and remove dead skin sells more effectively.
Lemon oil also removes excess oil from the skin. The effect of lemon oil against oxidative damage to the skin was published in the European Journal of Medical Plants in 2013 (4).
6. Geranium Essential Oil Removes Blackheads and Whiteheads
Geranium essential oil has linalool and citronellol which have proven to be effective in skincare. These compounds have anti-inflammatory properties and evens out the skin tone. The oil from the Pelargonium graveolens plant also has astringent, antioxidant and antimicrobial properties.
When applied topically on the skin it balances the oil on the skin and reduces inflammation. Geranium oil is useful removing blackheads and preventing acne breakouts.
7. Sweet Orange Essential Oil for Blackhead
The oil from the Citrus sinensis plant has a cleansing property that is used on oily skins to remove excess oil. The citrus smelling essential oil breaks down the oil in the blackheads. Sweet orange oil mixed with lavender oil is can be used for blackheads the same way as steam inhalation aromatherapy.
The steam and oil combination will open the pores, and remove the dirt and pimple. The oil also reduce pimple scar. It can be mixed with rose essential oil, rosemary essential oil and frankincense essential oils for acne and blackheads. And eliminate bacteria in the skin.
8. Cedarwood Essential Oil for Deep Blackheads
Extracted from every part of the cedar tree, cedarwood essential oil has antispasmodic and antiseptic properties. It is used to remove the stubborn and deep blackheads. The oil also has anti-inflammatory properties that soothes the skin and reduces the risk of infections. This along with lemongrass essential oil, bergamot essential oils and myrtle essential oil is considered the best essential oils for acne.
9. Grapefruit Essential Oil For Blackhead Cleaning
From the Citrus paradise plant, the grapefruit essential oil with antimicrobial and antiviral properties is known to detoxify the skin. With its deep penetration it cleanses the pores, and removes oil and dirt. It has limonene which is an antioxidant agent with a calming effect. The oil is diluted before applying topically on the blackhead regions.
10. Juniper Berry Essential Oil Removes Blackheads
The woody scented essential oil obtained from the Juniperus communis tree has many medicinal properties including anti-inflammatory, analgesic and antioxidant (high in Vitamin C). This oil has been used for healing skin conditions because of the presence of medicinal ingredients including limonene and camphor. Applying this oil topically prevents blackheads.
Best Carrier Oil for Blackheads
Jojoba oil is mostly a wax or is jojoba wax an oil. It is sometimes referred to as jojoba oil-wax. It is extracted from the plant or shrub called Jojoba or wild hazel. It is replete with fatty acids (both omega 6 and 9), Vitamins (A, B, C, D, and E) and minerals (Copper and zinc).
Jojoba oil is a popular carrier oil and used to dilute many essential oils. The oil is also non comedogenic and does not clog the pores. The oil as a standalone can be used as a face cleanser.
Ways of Using Essential Oil for Blackheads
Essential oils for blackheads can be used in different ways. Based on ease of use and availability of products, one can choose the best method.
1. Skin Scrubs and Exfoliator
Essential oils are used in scrubs and exfoliator to remove blackheads and whiteheads from the pores. Scrubs alone can remove the dirt, but adding a few drops of essential oils will nourish the skin and eliminate any pathogens on the skin. The organic plant oils also refresh the skin and give it a radiance.
2. Facial Steaming with Essential Oils
Those who use essential oils regularly will know about face steaming inhalation aromatherapy. The face steaming technique can be used to remove dirt and blackheads from the skin as well. Steaming the face with essential oil infused vapors will also remove excess oil and contribute towards skin health.
3. Spot Treatment with Essential Oil
Spot treatment means applying the essential oil on a desired spot. For instance, blackheads on the tip of the nose can be treated by applying diluted essential oils on the tip of the nose. However, make sure to dilute the essential oil suitably before applying the oil.
DIY Recipes With Essential Oils For Blackheads
DIY Recipe #1
Tea Trees Essential Oil Bath to Remove Blackheads
- 20 drops of tea tree essential oil
- 2 cups of Epsom salt
- Warm water
- Mix the oils and tea tree oil in the warm water. It takes about 2 minutes.
- If you have a bath tub, then soak yourself in the water for 45 minutes. In case there is no bath tub, then take a bath at a leisurely pace.
- Pat the face and skin with clean towel.
- Do this twice a week.
Soaking the skin in warm water infused with tea tree oil will open the pores. The Epsom salt is for exfoliation, which clears the dirt and removes dead skin cells.
DIY Recipe #2
Cedarwood Oil face scrub for Removing Blackheads
- 3 drops of cedarwood essential oil
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of fine sugar powder
- Start by steaming the face for 10 minutes to hydrate it.
- Add all the ingredients and mix it well. It takes about two minutes.
- Apply the paste on the face and massage it in circular motion.
- Leave the paste on the skin till it dries and then wash it off with cold water.
- Do these 3 times a week.
The sugary scrub will exfoliate the skin and unclog the pores. It also dries the blackheads. Try to use pure virgin or extra virgin olive oil.
DIY Recipe #3
Lavender Essential Oil Moisturizer For Blackheads
- 2 drops of lavender essential oil
- 2 tablespoons sweet almond oil
- 2 tablespoons aloe vera gel
- Add all the ingredients and mix it well. The prep time would be just 2 minutes.
- Wash the face with tepid water and pat it dry.
- Dip your fingers in the homemade moisturizer and apply it on the face.
- Massage the moisturizer into the skin with special focus on the blackhead region.
- Use this homemade moisturize every day.
The moisturizer enters the skin layer and the lavender oil disinfects the region. It eliminates the microbes and prevents blackhead and acne. The moisturizer prevents blackheads and keeps skin hydrated.
DIY Recipe #4
Tea Tree Oil and Jojoba Oil Mix for Blackheads
- 2 drops of Tea tree essential oil
- 1 tablespoon of jojoba oil
- It’s an easy and quick process that will take less than 5 minutes.
- Mix the oils together.
- Steam the skin for 2 minutes to open the pores.
- Apply the oil on the face and massage it on the face till it is completely absorbed. Massage the face in circular lotions.
- Leave the oil on the face overnight or for at least 10 minutes before washing it off with cold water.
- Do this every day.
The structure of jojoba oil is similar to that of the oils produced by the skin naturally. Thus, it is able to penetrate deep into the skin, unclog the pores and remove impurities. The blend of tea tree oil and jojoba is effective and quick to prepare.
DIY Recipe #5
Geranium Essential Oil Skin Natural Cleanser for Blackheads
- 3 drops of geranium essential oil
- Apple cider vinegar
- The entire process will take less than 3 minutes.
- First, wash the face with warm water to activate the pores.
- Mix all the ingredients well. Take apple cider vinegar and water in the ratio 1:2.
- Apply the solution on the skin and massage it well.
- Wash the skin with cold water.
- This homemade cleanser can be used 2 times in a day.
This is a convenient way of dealing with blackheads. Adding geranium essential oil to apple cider vinegar will soften the skin making it easier to remove dirt from pores. Using this cleanser regularly will prevent blackheads. Instead of apple cider vinegar, a regular moisturizer cream can be used.
DIY Recipe #6
Peel Off Mask with Essential Oils for Blackheads
- 2 drops of grapefruit essential oil
- 2 drops of Clary sage essential oil
- ½ tea spoon of turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon of gelatin
- Warm water
- Take quarter cup of warm water in a bowl and add all oils together.
- Slowly add the turmeric powder and gelatin while stirring the bowl.
- Apply the mix on the blackhead affected parts of the skin or on the entire face.
- Allow the mask to dry.
- Peel the mask off and wash the skin with warm water.
The blends of essential oils are good for blackheads, help reduce acne, get rid of pimples, and the oils can make your skin healthy.
Precautions While Using Essential Oils for Blackheads
- Those suffering from skin conditions including psoriasis, atopic dermatitis or eczema must consult a dermatologist before using essential oils on the skin.
- A small skin patch test must also be done on the elbow before using the oil on the face.
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women must consult their gynecologist before using any type of essential oils.
- Essential oils must always be diluted with carrier oils, water or lotions before applying it on the skin. Never apply raw essential oil on the skin.
- In case of irritation or redness of the skin after application of essential oils, wash the region with cold water and pat it dry. If the reaction persists, then consult a doctor.
Comprised entirely of plant-based ingredients, the essential oils are powerhouse of several therapeutic properties. The organic concentrated plant oils have numerous benefits for skin health. The essential oil can be used to get rid of blackheads and prevent its recurrence. Essential oil for blackheads also makes the skin healthy and radiant. Essential oils are natural and are a better option than cosmetic products that have chemicals in it.
Besides, many store bought products for treating blackheads use essential oils as ingredients. The oils also brighten or lighten the skin, even out the tone of the skin and treat acne. Essential oils on the skin open the pores of the skin and remove the dirt and sebum. The oils also dry out the blackhead removing it from the skin.
Essential oils are concentrated and powerful plant oils with nutrients including vitamins, minerals and fatty acids. These oils are beneficial for removing and preventing blackheads and for the overall skin health. Use essential oils the proper way and reap the benefits of the oil on the skin.
What essential oil dissolves blackheads?
Some of the essential oils that are effective against blackheads include tea tree essential, lavender essential oil, geranium essential oil and grapefruit essential oil.
Can oil pull out blackheads?
Essential oils with carrier oils have antibacterial and antimicrobial properties. These oils also regulate the sebum secretion by the skin. It is applied on the skin to clean the pores. The oils can gradually eliminate blackheads and whiteheads.
Will tea tree oil remove blackheads?
Tea tree essential oil has therapeutic properties that can dry out the black heads and prevent the spread of infections on the skin.
- Int J Dermatol. (2013). A review of applications of tea tree oil in dermatology. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22998411/
- Enhanced chlorhexidine skin penetration with eucalyptus oil. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1186/1471-2334-10-278
- Chemical Composition of Two Different Lavender Essential Oils and Their Effect on Facial Skin Microbiota. https://www.mdpi.com/1420-3049/24/18/3270
- Antioxidative Action of Citrus limonum Essential Oil on Skin. https://cnin.es/data/documents/Antioxidative-Action-of-Citrus-limonum-Essential-Oil-on-Skin.pdf
- Best Candles For Meditation And Its Benefits
- Xanthan Gum On Skin – Is It Good Or Bad?
- Peppermint Oil For Lips – Get Plump Lips with Peppermint Balm
- Complete Guide on Rosemary Water | Homemade Rosemary Water for Hair Growth, Long and Healthy Hair
- Essential Oils To Boost Your Immune System Support
- 13 Top Essential Oils for Snoring | Snore Stop Essential Oil Recipe
- Vitamin C Pack For Face – Benefits and Homemade Recipe
- Coconut Oil Vs Olive Oil For Hair | Difference Between Olive Oil And Coconut Oil For Hair