12 Essential Oils for Bee Stings | Remedies For Bee Stings
Top 12 Essential Oils for Bee Sting | Natural Relief in Bee Sting with Essential Oils
1. Eucalyptus Oil for Bee Sting
Eucalyptus essential oil is one of the most important oils that can do wonders in relieving bee sting pain and infection. Eucalyptus oil contains antiseptic properties that help in reducing the spread of the infection of a bee sting. Its anti-inflammatory properties help in reducing the itchiness of the affected area and reduce swelling, relieving the pain from the burning sensation .
2. Tea Tree Essential Oil for Bee Sting Relief
Essential oils are considered to be natural remedies for curing bee stings, and tea tree oil is one such essential oil that contains natural antiseptic properties which help reduce inflammation. The use of tea tree oil can also relieve itchiness and swelling of the affected area. Tea tree oil needs to be mixed with carrier oil to apply to the affected area. It can be mixed with Hazel oil to get better results and offer speedy relief to a bee sting. 2 drops of tea tree oil for every 5 to 6 drops of carrier oil can be added.
3. Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender oil has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties that help relieve skin inflammation. Lavender oil also reduces the chances of allergic reaction and thus ceases the further spreading of infection. Lavender oil can be applied directly to the affected area, giving instant relief in a stinging and burning sensation. You can use lavender to reduce itchiness as well .
4. Basil Essential Oil One of The Best Remedies for Bee Stings
Basil oil has anti-itching, anti-inflammatory, and analgesic properties that can be very helpful in bee stings. It can reduce skin irritation speedily and can also reduce inflammation and pain. Basil oil also possesses anti-microbial properties that help restrict the spread of infection, thus reducing the chances of pain and inflammation. This oil can be mixed with other oils like peppermint oil and carrier oil to apply to the affected area to relieve the pain and burning sensation. Basil oil is also used to treat wasp stings .
5. Chamomile Oil for Bee Sting Treatment and Insect Bites
Chamomile essential oil also possesses antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties making it a suitable option for treating a bee sting. It also produces antibodies that help the spread of infection and can help reduce pain and swelling .
6. Geranium Essential Oil for Bee Sting
Geranium oil is one of the best remedies for bee stings, as it can reduce pain and itching. It has the ability to give instant relief to the person stung by a bee. It has antibacterial and antiseptic properties and is also considered a natural astringent that helps soothe itchiness and infections .
7. Frankincense Essential Oil a Natural Remedy to Bee Stings
Frankincense oil is one of the best essential oils for bee sting treatment. It is rich in anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties that help with swelling and pain. It helps reduce the burning sensation that is followed by a bee sting.
8. Thyme Essential Oil
Thyme essential oil can relieve bee stings if applied directly to the sting area. It has antiseptic properties that help in reducing the infection from bee stings. Thyme oil, along with other essential oils, is an excellent potent repellent for pests and helps in treating many different insect bites .
9. Clove Essential Oil to Treat Bee Stings
Clove oil is believed to have properties that help disrupt the spread of bee venom, thus containing inflammation and preventing infection caused by bee stings or other bug bites. It can also reduce pain caused by bee stings . Clove essential oil contains eugenol and sesquiterpene β-caryophyllene, which helps treat the bee-stung-affected area with the help of this oil .
10. Rosemary Essential Oil
Rosemary oil possesses antiseptic properties that help reduce skin inflammation, restrict the further spread of infection, and reduce pain and swelling. The Latin name of wild rosemary is Ledum palustre which is proven to reduce swelling and itching caused due to bee stings .
11. Peppermint Oil One of The Best Essential Oils for Bee Sting
Peppermint essential oil is one of the best essential oils to treat bee stings, as it is a powerful pain reliever. It contains menthol that offers relief from a bee sting. Peppermint oil has antiseptic characteristics and antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that reduce the pain of a bee sting, and protect against infections, and skin inflammation.
12. Grapeseed Oil
Grapeseed essential oil is effective in treating bug bites, bee stings, etc. as it provide relief in pain and inflammation. It has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties that help in reducing inflammation caused due to bee sting . It also acts as a natural astringent that is used to reduce skin irritation and inflammation.
How to use essential oils for bee sting relief? | How to treat a bee sting?
The essential oil can be directly applied on the bee sting site, but before that, you must follow the below steps:
Step 1- Remove the stinger from the skin as sometimes the stinger remains within the skin, increasing the spread of venom in the skin and increasing inflammation and pain.
Note: You should remove the stinger carefully with the help of a pointed thing. While removing the stinger keep in mind not to squeeze it as it will further release bee venom into the skin, causing more pain and trouble.
Step 2- Once you have removed the stinger, you can apply a few drops of essential oils directly to the sting or with any other carrier oil like almond oil, coconut oil, jojoba oil, etc.
Step 3 - Repeat the application of essential oils every 1 hour until pain relief. Essential oils can also be used as an alternative measure to avoid getting stung by bee as its fragrance, antiseptic, antibacterial and antimicrobial properties acts as repellent for many insects, bugs and bees.
DIY Bee Sting Blend
A DIY bee sting blend is suggested to improve the effectiveness and quality of treating bee stings with essential oils. Bee sting blend can be created by diluting different essential oils together.
Following is a DIY bee sting blend that can be used to treat bee stings:
- 3 drops of lavender oil
- 2 drops of peppermint oil
- 2 drops of chamomile oil
- 2 drops of eucalyptus oil
How To Make
- Mix all the above-stated oils in a spray bottle and give it a gentle shake to mix it well.
How To Use
- Spray this sting blend directly to the sting for 4 to 5 times a day to get relief from the sting as well as swelling and pain.
- You can use this blend for a few days until complete relief is achieved.
*Note: If you are witnessing severe allergic reaction then please visit a doctor. Avoid essential oils if you are allergic to its use.
A brief list of oils to use when stung by bees has been provided in this article. The use of essential oils has proven to be effective in insect bites or bee stings as it has many medicinal properties.
Best-quality pure essential oils can do wonders in bee sting pain and inflammation treatment.
3 drops of essential oils from the above list can be used directly to cure bee stings.
Applying essential oils to the sting area can reduce inflammation, swelling, pain, and reduce the risk of infection and hence is considered one of the natural alternative treatments to bee stings.
Some of the best oils have been identified and included in this list to help users when in need.
What essential oil is best for bee sting?
Essential oils like eucalyptus, tea tree, lavender, basil, chamomile, geranium, frankincense, thyme, clove, rosemary, peppermint and grapeseed oils are best essential oils for bee sting.
Is eucalyptus oil good for bee stings?
Eucalyptus essential oil is good for bee stings as it contains antiseptic, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that helps in reducing pain, swelling and inflammation of bee sting.
Can I put tea tree oil on a bee sting?
Yes, tea tree oil is one of the natural remedies to cure bee stings. It contains antiseptic properties that reduce itchiness and anti-inflammatory properties that reduce redness and burning sensation from bee sting.
Is frankincense good for bee stings?
Yes, frankincense essential oil is good for bee stings as it gives relief from pain, inflammation and swelling.
Does peppermint oil help with bee stings?
Yes, peppermint oil has antiseptic and astringent properties that soothes skin and reduces skin irritation caused by bee sting. It has anti-inflammatory properties that reduce inflammation and pain.
1. Studies on Bee Venom and Its Medical Uses
2. Giselle F. Passos,Elizabeth S. Fernandes,Fernanda M. da Cunha,Juliano Ferreira,Luiz F. Pianowski,Maria M. Campos,João B. Calixto (2007) Anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic properties of the essential oil and active compounds from Cordia verbenacea.
3. Katrina A Svoboda Johnson (May 2019). Mosquito Bites and Bee Stings Symptoms, Pathology, and Remedies
4. Mueen, Ahmad & Ch, Mueen & Naz, Syeda & Sharif, Asifa & Akram, Maimoona & Saeed, Muhammad. (2015). Biological and Pharmacological Properties of the Sweet Basil (Ocimum basilicum). British journal of pharmaceutical research. 7. 330-339. 10.9734/BJPR/2015/16505.
5. Shahram Sharafzadeh and Omid Alizadeh. (2011). Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science
6. Leo M.L. Nollet, Hamir Singh Rathore. Essential Oil Mixtures for Pest Control.
7. J. Venom. Anim. Toxins incl. Trop. Dis 28 • 2022 •
8. Yenis Del Carmen Gonzales Correa,Lêda R.A. Faroni,Khalid Haddi,Eugênio E. Oliveira,Eliseu José G. Pereira. (2015).
9. Garavaglia J, Markoski MM, Oliveira A, Marcadenti A. Grape Seed Oil Compounds: Biological and Chemical Actions for Health. Nutrition and Metabolic Insights. 2016;9. doi:10.4137/NMI.S32910
- 19 Essential Oils For Dark Circles | Effective Essential Oils To Reduce Dark Circles
- 20 Best Essential Oils For Joint Pain | Essential Oils To Relieve Joint Pain
- 13 Amazing Essential Oils For Dandruff | Anti-Dandruff Essential Oils Remedies
- Essential Oils For Cold Sores Relief | Essential Oils To Get Rid Off Cold Sores
- 15 Best Essential Oils For Hair Growth | Essential Oils That Boost Hair Growth
- Tea Tree Oil For Cold Sores | How To Use Tea Tree Oil For Cold Sores?
- Best Essential Oils For Allergies | Essential Oils For Seasonal Allergies
- 15 Benefits of Turmeric Essential Oil – Uses and Recipes