Thieves Essential Oil Blend, Benefits, How To Use, And DIY Thieves Oil Recipes
Thieves essential oil is a combination of several essential oils. It mainly includes oils like cinnamon, clove, eucalyptus, lemon, and rosemary. Cinnamon oil is extracted from the bark, leaves, or twigs of different species of the cinnamon tree (1). Clove oil is extracted from the undeveloped buds of the flowers of clove tree species called Eugenia Caryophyllata (2). Eucalyptus oil is extracted from the leaves of eucalyptus plants (3). Lemon oil is extracted from the rinds of lemon fruit, and rosemary oil is extracted from the rosemary herb.
Thus it can be clearly said that thieves essential oil is rich in many health-related benefits of different plants. Because of the benefits of so many different essential oils, thieves oil has several benefits and uses.
This post is a complete guide on thieves essential oil, its benefits, uses, ways to use it, and the DIY recipe to make a thieves oil. Continue reading to know more about thieves oil, and learn how to make thieves oil at home.
What Are The Benefits Of Thieves Essential Oil?
Following are some of the potential benefits of thieves oil:
Thieves oil is believed to have health-related properties that can help enhance your overall wellness.
Good For Breathing Problems
Thieves essential oil contains eucalyptus essential oil, cinnamon bark oil, and clove oil that help improve congestion and pain. Thus, it can treat issues like the common cold. Use this essential oil for sinus congestion and to reduce nose blockage. Thus it can be stated that it helps in improving respiratory health.
Thieves oil is a blend of many different essential oils; thus, it combines the scent of all the essential oils. This makes the aroma of thieves oil very invigorating, and it can uplift one's mood instantly. It is believed that the aroma of this oil can encourage one's enthusiasm and inspiration.
Thieves oil promotes calmness and relaxation and helps release tiredness. It helps in improving mood and lowers tensions.
How To Use Thieves Essential Oil Blend?
This is one of the most commonly used methods to use thieves essential oil. You can use any essential oil diffuser to diffuse essential oils. The diffuser will help in dispersing the tiny droplets of essential oils throughout your surroundings. Diffusing essential oils can instantly lift up your mood, help promote relaxation and make you calm down.
To use the diffuser, you need to follow the manufacturer's instructions and add water to the watermark. Then you are required to add a few drops of essential oil through the nozzle. Plug in the diffuser and enjoy the benefits of essential oils.
This is another common method of using thieves essential oils and their benefits. Steam inhalation is a process in which essential oils are added to a bowl of hot water. This way, you can inhale the essential oils through the hot water vapors. Steam inhalation of essential oils helps release congestion and offers relief from colds.
To use essential oils through the steam inhalation process, you need to follow the below steps:
- Add a few drops of thieves essential oil to steaming water. Add only a few drops, as the scent can be very overwhelming.
- Now place a towel over your head to properly cover the water bowl and inhale all the vapors.
- Continue breathing deeply. While doing this process, keep your eyes closed, as it can irritate your eyes.
Massaging helps to penetrate the oils deep into your skin. Though, applying essential oils directly to your skin can lead to adverse impacts. Undiluted essential oils are highly concentrated and can irritate your skin or lead to some allergic reactions. Thus it is suggested to dilute essential oils with any carrier oil like olive oil, castor oil, almond oil, coconut oil, etc., and then use it to massage onto your skin.
In order to dilute the essential oil with a carrier oil, you need to mix 2 drops of essential oil per ounce of carrier oil. You can use this mixture to massage and enjoy the benefits of thieves essential oil. Cinnamon and clove oil are both warming oils that are great for massaging. As these oils are included in thieves oil, it makes a great choice to be used as massaging oil.
You can add a few drops of essential oils to your bathing ritual to enjoy the benefits of thieves essential oil. For this purpose, you need to add a few drops of thieves essential oil to your bathtub, give it a stir, and immerse yourself in the bathtub completely or partially as you wish. To begin with, you can add around 20 to 30 drops of essential oil to your bathtub.
Lotion And Creams
You can add thieves oil to your lotions and creams to increase the benefits of your creams and lotions and also to add great aroma to them.
You can use this thieves oil cream to soothe and heal your skin or to treat different skin conditions or wounds.
You can use thieves oil in spray form as well to spread its aroma throughout the room. It contains properties that help keep your surroundings clean. Thieves can be used to deodorize your surroundings as well.
To make thieves essential oil spray, you need to follow the below steps:
Take a spray bottle and add 10 to 15 drops of essential oil per ounce of water.
Shake the bottle well to mix all the ingredients, and your spray is ready to use.
You can spray it around your surrounding or on your pillow before going to bed to enjoy a great aroma and its benefits.
What Are The Different Ways To Use Thieves Oil? | Thieves Oil Uses
There are a few different uses of thieves essential oil that you can give a try:
Personal Hair Care
Thieves oil can also be added to your shampoos and conditioners to increase the benefits of your hair care products. Thieves oil has properties that can help deal with dry or irritated scalp issues.
Promote Teeth And Gums Health
You can add a few drops of thieves oil to your toothpaste to support healthy teeth and gums. You can also make a mixture of baking soda, coconut oil, and a few drops of thieves oil and apply it to boost your teeth' health and wellness.
Add a few drops of carrier oil and use this oil to massage your muscles. It will offer you relief.
You can use thieves oil as a natural insect repellent. Thieves oil can help repel insects. You can make your own insect repellent by adding thieves oil with water in a spray bottle. Your own natural insect repellent is ready to use.
DIY Thieves Oil Recipe | Homemade Thieves Oil Recipe
Making your own thieves oil is very easy. Follow the below instructions to make thieves essential oil blend:
- 10 drops of rosemary essential oil
- 15 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
- 20 drops of cinnamon bark essential oil
- 35 drops of lemon essential oil
- 40 drops of clove bud essential oil
- Take a dark glass bottle and add all the ingredients to it.
- Shake the bottle well to mix all the ingredients and blend them nicely.
- Store this blend in a cool and dark place.
- Before using this blend, always remember to dilute it with carrier oil.
- Essential oils are highly concentrated and can irritate your skin or lead to an allergic reaction. So, it is recommended to dilute the thieves essential oils before using them.
You can also experiment with this oil blend recipe by adding or substituting different essential oils to it. There is always a scope for trial and error. Though, keep in mind to keep the quantity of the oils balanced so that its aroma is subtle.
Safety Risks And Concerns Related To Thieves Oil Blend Recipe
Thieves oil can cause certain risks mainly because of the oils used in thieves essential oil.
One of the major risks related to thieves oil is that it can cause skin reactions. Thieves oil contains oils like cinnamon, and clove oil contains skin irritants, and using it for topical application might cause skin redness, swelling, skin irritation, etc.
Avoid using thieves oil directly onto your skin.
To avoid skin reactions, always dilute the essential oils. Also, always undertake a small patch test before applying it on the skin to see if you have any allergic reaction or not to thieves oil.
Photosensitivity is another major risk associated with thieves oils ingredients. Components of thieves oil, like lemon oil, are highly photosensitive. This means that sun exposure after using this oil can lead to sunburns or pigmentation on the skin due to ultraviolet radiation.
So, it is recommended that you avoid going out in direct sunlight if you are using thieves oil. If you need to go out during daylight, you should use proper sun protection.
The aroma of thieves oil can be overwhelming, so it is recommended that while using essential oils for aromatherapy, make sure that you are doing this in a properly ventilated room.
Remember that you can try essential oil substitutions according to your needs and preferences.
Do not apply thieves oil if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Making your own thieves oil in your home is very easy. Oils in thieves oil have many health-related properties. Homemade thieves oil can be used to deal with many different skin and health conditions.
What can you do with thieves essential oil?
Thieves essential oil can be used to release congestion, improve mood, and take care of respiratory issues.
How do I make my own thieves oil?
You can add 40 drops of clove oil, 35 drops of cinnamon oil, 20 drops of eucalyptus oil, 15 drops of lemon oil, and 10 drops of rosemary oil and blend them together to make your own thieves oil.
What is the thieves essential oil mix?
Thieves essential oil mix is a combination of different essential oils to make a blend with several health based values.
Is thieves oil good for lungs?
Yes, thieves' oil contains properties that help in clearing congestion and this is good for lungs.
- R.O.B. Wijesekera. C R C Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition. (2009) The chemistry and technology of cinnamon. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10408397809527243
- Woodhead Publishing Series in Food Science, Technology and Nutrition. (2012). Handbook of Herbs and Spices (Second edition). 11 – Cloves. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B9780857090393500116
- Eucalyptus oil is extracted from the leaves of eucalyptus plants. https://books.google.co.in/books?hl=en&lr=&id=0dRlDMvlhQ0C&oi=fnd&pg=PP1&dq=Eucalyptus+oil+is+extracted+from+the+leaves+of+eucalyptus+plants&ots=rHMyJfc8vH&sig=VWpG4g4zsebqNNPf3RrnRC4tfJ0&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=Eucalyptus%20oil%20is%20extracted%20from%20the%20leaves%20of%20eucalyptus%20plants&f=false
- Vaping Essential Oils for Anxiety | Is it Safe to Vape Essential Oils?
- Exciting Aroma-filled Recipes of Organic Frankincense Essential Oil
- 7 Best Health Recipes With Bay Laurel Essential Oil – DIY Tips
- Spearmint Essential Oil Benefits | Ways to Use Spearmint Essential Oil and DIY Recipes
- How to Use Oregano Oil for Cold and Flu | Oil of Oregano to Treat a Cold
- Cajeput Essential Oil Uses, Benefits, and DIY Recipes
- Nourishing Hair Mask With Essential Oils | DIY Hair Mask Recipes Using Essential Oils
- Petitgrain Oil Benefits, Uses and DIY – For Tranquility, Skincare & More
- Bergamot Scent: What Does Bergamot Essential Oil Smell Like?