What Are The Best Essential Oils For Menopause? | How To Use Essential Oils For Hot Flashes And Dealing With Menopause?
Menopause reflects the decline of fertility in women. It marks the end of their monthly menstruation. Menopause is defined as the situation when a woman has not received her menstrual period for 12 consecutive months.
As simple as it sounds, the process is not that easy and convenient. While you are going through your menopause you suffer many symptoms like fatigue, hot flashes, sleep deprivation, depression, mood swings, hormonal imbalance, aging skin, weight gain, etc.
Though reversing menopause is not an option, you can treat the menopause symptoms and get relief in menopause. There are medications available to treat menopausal symptoms, there are many people that opt for natural remedies to get relief in menopause.
Essential oils are one of the most amazing natural remedies that can help get relief during menopause. Essential oils are extracted from different parts of the plants and are rich in active compounds, nutrients, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antioxidants, analgesic, antiseptic, antifungal, antimicrobial, and antiviral properties.
Thus essential oils can help you get relief from different symptoms of menopause. Below are some of the amazing essential oils that you can use to get relief in menopause.
Top Essential Oils For Menopause Relief
1. Lavender essential oil
Lavender oil is one of the best essential oils for sleep. Lavender essential oil is one of the best oils that promote relaxation and better sleep. According to a study, it has been found out that massaging with the help of lavender oil can help achieve relief from menopause symptoms like hot flashes, headaches, etc. (1).
According to another research using lavender oil in aromatherapy treatment helps in reducing hot flushes (2).
2. Clary sage essential oil
Clary sage oil is one of the popular essential oil for reducing menstrual cramps (3). But this oil can also be used to get relief during menopause. Clary sage oil has proved to be effective in treating hot flashes and menopausal symptoms. Hot flashes can be understood as the sensation of heat that runs through your body. You can use clary sage oil to massage your back and apply it on your neck or your feet. You can also add a few drops on a napkin and inhale the oil for quick relief from hot flashes. Clary sage oil also helps balance hormonal imbalances.
3. Basil essential oil
Basil oil is one of the best oils to deal with the mood swings that you experience during menopause. It helps in increasing the estrogen level which helps in lifting your mood. You can rub this oil on your neck or feet.
4. Peppermint essential oil
5. Rose essential oil
Rose oil can be used to improve mood swings. It is also useful for relief in hot flashes. Rose oil can also help in treating insomnia that is usually faced during menopause. It has calming properties that help you relax and enjoy better sleep. Rose oil also helps in regulating blood pressure.
6. Pine essential oil
Osteoporosis is also a common issue that is faced by women during menopause. Using pine oil helps in reducing the impact of osteoporosis and protects against bone loss. Pine oil can also be used to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression symptoms of menopause. It also helps in reducing hot flashes and mood swings.
7. Geranium essential oil
Geranium oil is one of the best essential oils for maintaining hormone balance. It also helps in reducing mood swings. Geranium oil can be used during perimenopause to improve your menstrual cycle. Geranium oil has antidepressant properties that help in reducing stress, anxiety, and depression and helps you relax (5).
8. Ylang-Ylang essential oil
Ylang Ylang essential oil can be used to lift your mood and get rid of mood swings during menopause. It also helps in releasing stress, and depression. Low libido is also one of the common symptoms experienced during menopause. The use of ylang-ylang essential oil helps in getting rid of this low libido (6).
9. Vitex agnus castus oil
Vitex agnus castus oil is one of the proven oils that help fight different menopausal symptoms. This oil is also known as chaste berry and Abraham's balm. It is best to reduce mood swings (7).
10. Roman chamomile essential oil
Roman chamomile oil is best for reducing stress and anxiety experienced during menopause. It can be used to improve sleep quality. Roman chamomile oil helps in reducing pain and headaches suffered during menopause.
11. Cypress essential oil
Cypress oil is best for treating hot flashes. It also helps in releasing muscle spasms or relaxing muscle tension. Cypress oil can be used to reduce bloating or swelling if any. It also reduces fluid retention. Cypress oil may help balance hormones.
12. Thyme essential oil
Thyme oil is one of the best essential oils for hormone balance. It helps in relaxing nerves and reduces stress and anxiety. Some people suffer pain during their menopause, they can rely on thyme oil for relief from such pain.
13. Lemon essential oil
Lemon oil is best suitable for times when you feel too tired or fatigued during your menopause. It has properties to promote both physical and mental well-being and fights many menopausal symptoms.
14. Neroli essential oil
Neroli oil helps in increasing estrogen concentration in the body which helps in offering relief during menopause. It also helps in regulating blood pressure. Neroli oil helps in reducing stress and anxiety symptoms of menopause (8).
15. Sandalwood essential oil
Sandalwood oil has calming properties that help in relaxing the mind and body. It is best suitable to get rid of heat flashes. It also helps with heart palpitations. It helps in releasing stress, anxiety, and depression.
16. Citrus essential oil
Citrus oil is rich in anti-inflammatory properties that help in reducing any sort of pain or ache in the body experienced during menopause. It helps in fighting many different menopausal symptoms. It helps in increasing estrogen concentration within the body and also improves the pulse rate. It also helps in reducing systolic blood pressure.
17. Frankincense essential oil
Frankincense essential oil has calming properties, thus it helps in getting rid of insomnia commonly witnessed during menopause. It helps in improving the quality of sleep. It also has relaxing properties that help in reducing stress and anxiety.
How Do Essential Oils Help In Menopause Relief?
Essential oils are natural remedies to offer you relief in menopause. Essential oils can offer you relief in different parts of your body as well as your mind.
Essential oils can be used directly by diluting them with carrier oils, or they can be used in creams and lotions. It is also used in aromatherapy.
Essential oils have properties that can treat different symptoms of menopause. Its anti-inflammatory properties and analgesic properties help in reducing any sort of inflammation and pain in the body caused due to menopause.
The essential oil has sedative properties that help treat insomnia suffered during menopause and helps induce better sleep.
It helps in regulating blood circulation and thus helps manage blood pressure.
The essential oil also helps in improving hormone balance which usually fluctuates during menopause.
Essential oils have antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties that can help treat any sort of vaginal infection or dryness if any during menopause.
Essential oil helps overcome menopausal symptoms like hot flashes, depression, mood swings, weight gain issues as well as skin aging.
How To Use Essential Oils For Menopause And Menopausal Symptoms?
Dilute essential oils with a carrier oil that will help in reducing the concentration of essential oils. Undiluted essential oils can irritate and might have side effects and allergic reactions. Carrier oils include coconut oil, jojoba oil, argan oil, sweet almond oil, sesame oil, etc.
For diluting the oils, you can add 3 to 5 drops of essential oil to 1 ounce of carrier oil.
For applying this mixture you need to take a few drops of the blend on your hand and rub it on your back, neck, or feet. You can also massage your abdomen. You can apply a few drops or spray the essential oil and carrier oil blend on your temples, tissue, or handkerchief.
You can also make cold compresses, for this you need to add 3-4 cups of cold water in a glass, add two tablespoons of witch hazel and then add 20 to 25 drops of any essential oil of your choice. You can also use a mix of different essential oils. Then immerse a small towel in it and wring it. You can use this towel on your forehead, back, or lower belly to get relief from different symptoms of menopause.
You can also diffuse essential oils in your room to enjoy the therapeutic benefits of essential oils. For this purpose, you can add a few drops of essential oils to the diffuser. It can help you with night sweats and improve your sleep. It will also help you relax and reduce stress.
DIY Essential Oil Recipes For Menopause
DIY essential oil blend to get relief in hot flashes
- 5 drops of geranium oil
- 5 drops of peppermint oil
- 4 drops of roman chamomile oil
- 8 drops of clary sage oil
- 3 tablespoons of witch hazel
- Distilled water
- Take a dark glass bottle or spray bottle and add water and witch hazel. Mix it well
- Add essential oil to this mixture and shake well to mix all the ingredients.
- Store this mixture in the refrigerator and use it whenever required.
DIY essential oil blend to help balance mood
- 5 drops of sweet basil oil
- 4 drops of lavender oil
- 4 drops of chamomile oil
- 3 drops of rose oil
- 5 drops of ylang-ylang oil
- Coconut oil (Or any carrier oil of your choice)
- 10 ml glass bottle
- Take the glass bottle and add all the essential oils to it.
- Add coconut oil to fill the remaining space in the bottle.
- Shake the bottle thoroughly to mix all the ingredients.
- Store the bottle in a cool and dark place.
- You can use this blend twice or thrice a day.
DIY essential oil blend for different menopausal symptoms
- 5 drops of lemon oil
- 4 drops of Vitex agnus castus oil
- 4 drops of geranium oil
- 5 drops of frankincense oil
- 2 drops of clary sage oil
- 3 drops of thyme oil
- Carrier oil of your choice
- 15 ml glass bottle
- Take the bottle and add all the essential oils.
- Fill the remaining space with a carrier oil.
- Shake the bottle well to mix all the oils.
- Store in a cool and dark place.
- Take a few drops on your palm and massage your body.
- You can do this 2-3 times a day.
Essential oils can prove a holy grail for menopausal women. It has properties that help balance your hormone levels, and helps overcomes the symptoms women experience during menopause. Many women experience hot flashes and other symptoms during menopause. Mood changes are also a common problem witnessed during menopause. Other than this other physical symptoms are also experienced. Essential oils can help relieve symptoms of menopause. You can apply essential oils on your back, neck, or feet to get relief in menopause. It is recommended to use pure essential oils to help during menopause.
What essential oils are good for menopause?
Lavender oil, clary sage oil, sandalwood oil, basil oil, thyme oil, geranium oil, frankincense oil, peppermint oil, rose oil, pine oil, ylang ylang oil, vitex agnus castus oil, roman chamomile oil, cypress oil, lemon oil, neroli oil, and citrus oil are some of the essential oils that are good for menopause.
How to use essential oils for menopause?
- You can dilute the essential oil with carrier oil and massage it on your back, neck or feet.
- You can spray it on your pillow or handkerchief and inhale it to get relief from menopausal symptoms.
- You can diffuse the essential oil in your room to get relief during menopause.
How to mix essential oils for menopause?
You can mix 3 to 5 drops of essential oil for every 1 ounce of carrier oil and apply it on your body.
Where to apply essential oils for menopause?
You can apply essential oils on your back, neck and feet for menopause relief. You can also spray it on your temples and inhale it.
- Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. (2008). Aromatherapy Massage Affects Menopausal Symptoms in Korean Climacteric Women: A Pilot-Controlled Clinical Trial. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2529395/
- Journal of the Chinese Medical Association. (2016) Effect of lavender aromatherapy on menopause hot flushing: A crossover randomized clinical trial. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S172649011630082X
- European Journal of Integrative Medicine. (2011). Self-aromatherapy massage of the abdomen for the reduction of menstrual pain and anxiety during menstruation in nurses: A placebo-controlled clinical trial. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1876382011001363
- The Journal of Perinatal & Neonatal Nursing. (2010). The Uses of Aromatherapy in Women's Health. https://journals.lww.com/jpnnjournal/Abstract/2010/07000/The_Uses_of_Aromatherapy_in_Women_s_Health.10.aspx
- Comparison of the Efficacy of Massage and Aromatherapy Massage With Geranium on Depression in Postmenopausal Women: A Clinical Trial. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/276164789_Comparison_of_the_Efficacy_of_Massage_and_Aromatherapy_Massage_With_Geranium_on_Depression_in_Postmenopausal_Women_A_Clinical_Trial
- Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine. Essential oils used in aromatherapy: A systemic review. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2221169115001033
- Complementary Therapies in Nursing and Midwifery. (2008). Vitex agnus-castus essential oil and menopausal balance: a self-care survey. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1353611702906347
- Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. (2014). Effects of Inhalation of Essential Oil of Citrus aurantium L. var. amara on Menopausal Symptoms, Stress, and Estrogen in Postmenopausal Women: A Randomized Controlled Trial. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25024731/
- 13 Amazing Essential Oils For Dandruff | Anti-Dandruff Essential Oils Remedies
- Essential Oils For Cold Sores Relief | Essential Oils To Get Rid Off Cold Sores
- 15 Best Essential Oils For Hair Growth | Essential Oils That Boost Hair Growth
- Tea Tree Oil For Cold Sores | How To Use Tea Tree Oil For Cold Sores?
- Best Essential Oils For Allergies | Essential Oils For Seasonal Allergies
- 15 Benefits of Turmeric Essential Oil – Uses and Recipes
- Essential Oils For Ants | How To Get Rid Of Ants Using Essential Oils?
- How To Use Essential Oils In Body Butter? | How To Make A Body Butter?