18+ Best Essential Oils For Mosquito Bites | Essential Oils To Prevent Mosquito Bites
Mosquito bites can result in itchy skin, swelling, and inflammation. It can ruin your favorite trip or hiking experience. It can take away the comfort at your home as well.
Some mosquito bites can turn out to be fatal as well. Hence, mosquito bites should not be taken lightly, and necessary measures should be adopted to deal with mosquito bites.
Essential oils are one of the natural remedies that you can use to treat mosquito bites or insect bites and their symptoms. Though you should keep in mind that if you have any serious issues because of a mosquito bite, you need to consult a doctor. You can use essential oils as an add-on therapy to heal mosquito bites (1).
There are many essential oils that can be used to offer relief from mosquito bites. Read below to find out some of the best essential oils that you can try to get rid of mosquito bites.
Best Essential Oils For Mosquito Bites
1. Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender oil has cooling and calming effects that help in soothing mosquito-bitten skin. Lavender oil has sedative properties that can help reduce pain and stop itching from mosquito bites (2).
2. Lemon Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Lemon eucalyptus oil has natural cooling properties that help in easing pain, itchiness, and inflammation caused due to mosquito bites. The oil of lemon eucalyptus is also used as an active ingredient in mosquito repellents (3).
3. Citronella Essential Oil
Citronella oil is an important essential oil that can offer mosquito bite relief. Citronella is also used in many bug repellents. This oil can be used to treat mosquito bites and their symptoms. It can also be used as a mosquito repellent to avoid mosquito bites (4).
4. Geranium Essential Oil
The use of geranium essential oil has proved to be an effective repellent of mosquitoes and other bugs. It has a geraniol constituent in it that can help heal mosquito bites and other bug bites. Geranium oil is rich in anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce inflammation and skin irritation caused due to mosquito bites and itchy bug bites (5).
5. Tea Tree Essential Oil
Tea tree essential oil is well-known for its ability to ease pain, reduce swelling, and stop itching. It also kills bacteria, which keeps them from getting sick. This makes it a great way to ease the pain of bug bites.
Tea tree oil is one of the best essential oils for treating mosquito bites. It has anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce skin irritation and inflammation over the mosquito bite. It also has antifungal and antibacterial properties that help heal mosquito bites quickly. It helps reduce swelling and pain caused due to a mosquito bite or insect bite (6).
6. Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint oil is rich in cooling properties and is good for mosquito bites. It has a menthol constituent that soothes the skin and calms down the irritated and inflamed skin around mosquito bites. You can use peppermint essential oils to repel mosquitoes and reduce the risk of mosquito bites (7).
7. Clove Essential Oil
Clove oil has been used for ages because of its medicinal and therapeutic properties. It has natural healing properties that can help release pain, discomfort, and itchiness caused due to mosquito bites. Clove oil can also be used to repel bugs.
8. Neem Essential Oil
Neem oil has many medicinal and therapeutic effects that can be used to treat mosquito bites and their symptoms. Neem oil can also be used in the form of mosquito repellents. Neem oil can calm itchy and irritated skin (8).
9. Thyme Essential Oil
Thyme oil is an important essential oil that can be used as a mosquito repellent. It has properties that can help treat itchy mosquito bites.
10. Lemongrass Essential Oil
Lemongrass oil has antimicrobial properties that help fight the microbes and contains the spread of mosquito bite infection. It also has anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce inflammation, redness, and itchy skin (9).
11. Chamomile Essential Oil
Chamomile oil is rich in anti-inflammatory properties, making it one of the most effective essential oils to treat mosquito bites. It can help in reducing inflammation and irritated skin. It has soothing properties and can help release pain, swelling, and itchiness (10).
12. Ylang Ylang Essential Oil
Ylang Ylang is one of the therapeutic oils that can be used to treat mosquito bites. This oil has been used for ages for treating malaria in the Madagascar region. It is considered a lentivector and is used as a mosquito repellent to keep mosquitoes away. It can also be used in yellow fever and dengue (11).
13. Basil Essential Oil
Basil essential oil has anti-inflammatory properties that can help treat mosquito bites and their symptoms like inflammation, redness, pain, swelling, etc.
14. Frankincense Essential Oil
Frankincense oil is rich in anti-inflammatory properties required to calm down itchiness, inflammation, and pain. It has natural cooling properties that can be used to soothe the skin around mosquito bites.
15. Patchouli Essential Oil
Patchouli oil can also be used as a mosquito or other bug and insect repellent. It has calming and soothing properties that will help relieve the inflamed and irritated skin due to mosquito bites.
16. Helichrysum Essential Oil
Helichrysum oil has natural healing properties, and it can heal any sort of skin damage. It can also help reduce scars and marks of mosquito bites and relieve itching.
17. Clary Sage Essential Oil
Clary sage essential can be used as a mosquito repellent as it has strong repellent properties. Diffusing this essential oil at home can prevent mosquitoes from entering the house. Clary sage oil can repel insects.
18. Rosemary Essential Oil
Rosemary oil is an effective repellent. It helps in soothing and calming irritated skin due to mosquito bites.
How To Use Essential Oils For Mosquito Bites?
There are different ways in which one can use essential oils for mosquito bites.
Avoid using undiluted essential oils directly on the skin. Before topical application, you must dilute essential oils with carrier oil like argan oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil, olive oil, etc. And then, apply this diluted mixture directly to the affected area. You can dilute 5 drops of essential oils per ounce of carrier oil.
You can dilute the essential oils with carrier oil and water to make a spray that will help in getting rid of a mosquito bite. You need to take a spray bottle and add 5 drops of essential oils, 5 to 8 drops of carrier oil, and one ounce of water. Shake the bottle well to mix all the ingredients. Use this spray directly on the affected area.
This approach is best if you have several mosquito bites all over your body. You need to add 15 drops of essential oil to an equal amount of carrier oil and mix them well. Then while taking a bath, you need to add this mixture to your bath and immerse yourself in it to gain maximum benefit.
DIY Essential Oil Blends
Recipe #1: DIY Essential Oil Roller Bottle For Mosquito Bite
- 5 drops of lavender oil
- 2 drops of basil oil
- 4 drops of tea tree oil
- Carrier oil (Of your choice)
- 10 ml roller bottle
- Take the 10 ml roller bottle and add all the essential oils.
- Fill the remaining space with a carrier oil.
- Shake the bottle thoroughly to mix all the oils and blend nicely.
- Store the bottle in a cool and dark place.
- Roll this bottle on the mosquito bites.
- Apply this mixture 2 to 3 times a day.
Recipe #2: DIY Essential Oils Soothing Balm For Mosquito Bites
- 4 drops of lavender oil
- 2 drops of chamomile oil
- 3 drops of ylang-ylang oil
- 10 ml aqueous cream
- Add all the essential oils to the cream.
- Stir well to mix cream and essential oils.
- Apply this cream to the affected area.
- Avoid using the cream on the skin if it is severely damaged.
Recipe #3: DIY Mosquito Repellent Spray Using Essential Oils
- 10 drops of lavender oil
- 7 drops of ylang-ylang oil
- 3 drops of lemon eucalyptus oil
- 5 drops of citronella oil
- 30 drops of Carrier oil of your choice
- 50 ml water
- Take the spray bottle and add all the oils to the bottle.
- Add water to the spray bottle.
- Shake the spray bottle thoroughly to mix all the ingredients.
- Store the spray bottle in a cool and dark place.
How to use
- Spray this mixture all over the open space of your body before going anywhere.
- You can apply this spray at your home as well.
- You can apply this mixture 2 to 3 times a day.
Recipe #4: DIY Essential Oils Blend To Heal Mosquito Bite
- 5 drops lemongrass oil
- 5 drops thyme oil
- 3 drops basil oil
- 10 ml carrier oil (Of your choice)
- 15 ml glass bottle
- Add all the oils to the glass bottle.
- Shake the bottle thoroughly to mix all the oils well.
- Store the bottle in a cool and dark place.
- Take a few drops of blend and apply it on the mosquito bite.
- You can apply this blend 2 to 3 times daily.
Precautions And Care
Dilution: Always remember that essential oils must be diluted before skin application. Undiluted essential oils are high in concentration and can cause inflammation, irritation, itchiness, redness, or allergic reactions. Thus using undiluted essential oils can worsen your mosquito bite.
You can dilute the essential oil with any carrier oil to reduce its concentration level. Carrier oil includes coconut oil, jojoba oil, argan oil, sweet almond oil, apricot oil, etc. If the mosquito bite is severe, avoid applying the oil directly onto the bite; instead, apply it to the surrounding area.
Patch Test: Always conduct a patch test before applying the dilution. If you experience any allergic reaction, immediately discontinue using essential oils. If you are experiencing any severe allergic reaction, immediately consult your doctor.
Avoid using essential oils directly on infants and pets. Keep the essential oils away from children.
Avoid using essential oil if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. If you want to use essential oil for a mosquito bite, seek advice from your doctor.
Essential oils are rich in nutrients and have many benefits. Essential oils are used as a natural remedy to get rid of itching and irritation caused due to mosquito bites.
- helps to reduce pain and itching by soothing the skin.
- can also reduce swelling and help heal the damaged skin speedily.
- It can act as mosquito repellent as well.
The article has identified some of the best essential oils for mosquito and bug bites. Some DIY recipes have also been suggested to be used to treat mosquito bites and repel mosquitoes. Essential oils have anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antifungal, antimicrobial, antiseptic, antioxidant and analgesic properties that help heal mosquito bites.
What essential oils are good for mosquito bites?
Lemon eucalyptus oil, lemongrass oil, peppermint oil, lavender oil, clary sage oil, citronella oil, geranium oil, tea tree oil, clove oil, neem oil, thyme oil, chamomile oil, ylang-ylang oil, basil oil, frankincense oil, patchouli oil, helichrysum oil, clary sage oil, and rosemary oil are some of the essential oils that are good for mosquito bites.
Is peppermint oil good for mosquito bites?
Yes. Peppermint oil is rich in menthol constituent that has cooling properties and soothes irritated and inflamed skin which is a symptom of mosquito bite.
Can tea tree oil help mosquito bites?
Yes. Tea tree oil has anti-inflammatory properties, antibacterial properties, antifungal, antimicrobial, and other such properties that helps in relieving pain, inflammation and irritated skin caused due to mosquito bite.
Does eucalyptus oil help mosquito bites?
Yes. Eucalyptus oil has cooling and soothing properties that can help release pain and inflammation and also helps heal the damaged skin due to mosquito bites. It is also used as mosquito repellents.
Why do mosquitoes hate the lavender smell ?
Lavender oil contains a linalool compound that has a strong odour that is detestable to mosquitoes and thus mosquitoes hate the lavender smell.
- The Open Entomology Journal, (2011) Essential Oil from Bush Mint, Hyptis suaveolens, is as Effective as DEET for Personal Protection against Mosquito Bites. https://benthamopen.com/ABSTRACT/TOENTOJ-5-45
- H. M. A. Cavanagh,J. M. Wilkinson Biological activities of Lavender essential oil. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/ptr.1103
- Phytotherapy Research. Comparative repellency of 38 essential oils against mosquito bites. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/7703294_Comparative_repellency_of_38_essential_oils_against_mosquito_bites?enrichId=rgreq-4f0475092ea40c42a9f19f9ffdda41bf-XXX&enrichSource=Y292ZXJQYWdlOzc3MDMyOTQ7QVM6Mzc1MDk4NDIzOTU1NDU2QDE0NjY0NDE4NDEwNDI%3D&el=1_x_3&_esc=publicationCoverPdf
- Medical and Veterinary Entomology. (2008) Efficacy of three insect repellents against the malaria vector Anopheles arabiensis. https://resjournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1046/j.1365-2915.2000.00261.x
- Journal of Medical Entomology, Volume 36, Issue 5,(1999). Repellency of Essential Oils to Mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae). https://academic.oup.com/jme/article/36/5/625/889573
- Anton C. de Groot Tea tree oil: contact allergy and chemical composition. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/cod.12591
- Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine. Volume 1, Issue 2, (2011) Bioefficacy of Mentha piperita essential oil against dengue fever mosquito Aedes aegypti L. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S2221169111600014
- Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. (1993) Effectiveness of neem oil mats in repelling mosquitoes. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/7905211/
- Bioactivity of natural products (2018) Formulation of low smoke herbal mosquito repellent sticks by using different essential oils. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/325171627_Formulation_of_low_smoke_herbal_mosquito_repellent_sticks_by_using_different_essential_oils
- Chamomile an Ancient Aromatic Plant - A Review https://web.archive.org/web/20200321061632id_/https://jayumedsci.com/sites/default/files/JAyuMedSci-2-4-251.pdf
- Mosquito Repellent Property of “Ylang-Ylang”(Cananga odorata) Essential Oil in Urea-Formaldehyde Microencapsulated Cotton Fabric https://philjournalsci.dost.gov.ph/images/pdf/pjs_pdf/vol149no3b/mosquito_repellent_property_of_ylang_ylang_.pdf
- Nourish Your Cuticles: The Best Oils and DIY Tips for Healthy Nails
- Get Fuller Brows with Argan Oil for Eyebrows
- Essential Oils for Anger, Aggression and Irritability
- The Ultimate Guide to Using Castor Oil for Acne Scars
- Use Castor Oil for Nail Growth- The Best Oil For Nails
- Almond Oil for Skin Whitening: Benefits of Using Almond Oil
- Does Goat Milk Soap Lighten The Skin? Goat Milk Soap Benefits
- Best Essential Oils for Corns with DIY Recipes