12+ Essential Oils For Fever | Essential Oils For Reducing Fever
Fever can be terrifying. It gives an unpleasant sensation throughout the body and your body temperature starts fluctuating. There are several medications out there available in the market to treat fever. But natural remedies are the most beneficial ones to treat fever without any side effects.
Essential oils are one of the most important natural remedies that can be used to treat fever and symptoms of fever. Essential oils are extracts of plants and are very powerful with many medicinal and therapeutic benefits.
By using essential oils, you can treat fever in the comfort of your home and in a very convenient and natural manner. There are many essential oils, but there are certain types of essential oils that can be used to treat a fever.
In the below article, a detailed list of essential oils that can be used for fever reduction has been listed. The article also discussed the different ways to use essential oils to reduce fever.
What Are The Best Essential Oils To Treat Fever Naturally At Home?
1. Peppermint essential oil
Peppermint essential oil has natural cooling properties. It has an ingredient called menthol that helps in cooling the body. This ingredient is used in cough drops and balms to relieve cough and cold. This oil can be used to reduce the fever with the help of its cooling sensation and also relieves the pain in the body (1). This oil can be best used with eucalyptus oil to treat fever and symptoms of fever.
A study in 2018, (1) confirms that the use of peppermint oil helps in reducing fever mainly because of its cooling effect and its ability to improve blood flow.
2. Eucalyptus essential oil
In order to kill the microorganisms causing fever, the body has to reach a self-limiting inflammatory state. Eucalyptus oil can help in achieving this state of the body as it has 1,8 -Cineole and alpha-terpineol compounds that are rich in antioxidant properties and can help achieve relief from inflammation (2).
Eucalyptus oil has a cooling effect that helps in reducing the temperature of the body during fever. Eucalyptus oil helps clear lung and nasal congestion and thus helps relieve fever.
Study proves that eucalyptus oil has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that help reduce inflammation and pain (2). It has cooling properties that balance body temperature.
3. Frankincense essential oil
Frankincense oil is rich in anti-inflammatory properties that are very important in reducing fever. Frankincense oil has an alpha-Pinene compound that helps boost immunity within humans and thus helps fight symptoms of fever (3).
It has many health benefits and is also safe for children's use. It contains antibacterial and antifungal properties that help fight any sort of infection within the body and offer relief to the body from different illnesses.
The study suggests that frankincense oil is rich in anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties that help treat different illnesses like a fever (4).
4. Cinnamon bark essential oil
Cinnamon bark oil is one of the most effective essential oils. Essential oil like cinnamon oil has a warming effect and stimulates blood circulation within the body, and boosts the immune system. It has antiviral properties that help fight viruses. It also contains anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce inflammation within the body which is commonly experienced during fever (5).
The study suggests (6) that Cinnamon oil has antibacterial properties that are proven to be effective against salmonella a bacterial infection. Thus it can help fight bacteria related to fever and promote a speedy recovery.
5. Ginger essential oil
Ginger essential oil has medicinal and therapeutic properties that help in treating many different illnesses. It has anti-inflammatory properties that help in releasing pain and inflammation within the body caused due to fever. It can also help reduce symptoms of fever like nausea, vomiting, headaches, etc. Ginger oil helps improve blood circulation, and boosts immunity helping reduce fever quickly.
Ginger oil has anti-inflammatory properties that help lower fever and its symptoms (7).
6. Lemon essential oil
Lemon oil is rich in anti-inflammatory properties and can be used as a natural remedy to treat fever. It has an active compound called D-Limonene that helps in fighting the infection of fever and has antiviral properties that help fight and release viruses from the body.
Lemon oil can boost immunity and help heal fever quickly (8). It also fights different symptoms of fever.
7. Black pepper oil
Black pepper oil has warming properties that can be used to improve blood circulation within the body and releases sweat that is beneficial to reduce fever. It is rich in antioxidant properties that help detoxify the body and flush away viruses and bacteria from the body.
Black pepper oil is rich in antioxidants and contains warming properties that help speed up the healing process during fever (9).
8. Chamomile essential oil
Chamomile oil is one of the best essential oils for fever reduction because it contains a number of bioactive phytochemicals that are required to heal different illnesses. Chamomile essential oil has calming properties that can help induce better sleep. Having proper sleep can help in a speedy recovery from a fever.
Chamomile oil has bioactive phytochemicals that help in healing different illnesses (10).
9. Lavender essential oil
Lavender oil has anti-inflammatory properties that help in releasing inflammation and pain. It has sedative properties that can be used to calm down the body and help relax the mind and body (11). Lavender oil promotes better sleep and helps you rest well by reducing discomfort during a fever.
The study suggests (12) that lavender oil promotes calmness of mind and body and relaxes body during fever, helping you sleep better and get better quickly.
10. Basil essential oil
Basil oil is rich in medicinal properties that can help treat many ailments. Basil oil is rich in nutrients, terpenes, phytochemicals, and flavonoids which makes it one of the most effective herbs to treat different skin and health conditions.
Basil oil has antipyretic properties that help in reducing fever and helps balance body temperature (13). Basil oil contains antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, analgesic, and antiviral properties that help reduce inflammation, virus and bacteria attacks, infections, and pain.
Basil oil has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antiviral properties that help in lowering fever levels in the body (14).
11. Tea tree essential oil
Tea tree oil is rich in antibiotics, antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory properties which help fight infections and many skin and health conditions (15). Tea tree oil is highly effective in treating fever.
Tea tree oil helps white blood cells to function properly and thus fights back unwanted viruses. The use of tea tree oil also promotes and boosts immunity. Tea tree oil fights different symptoms of fever like soreness, body ache, and inflammation.
The study states that tea tree oil promotes the effective functioning of white blood cells and helps treat the flu (16).
12. Clove essential oil
Clove oil has the ability to fight different symptoms of fever like pain, and inflammation, and boosts immunity to kill germs and viruses. Clove oil is rich in eugenol compound that promotes antipyretic activity which helps in reducing fever and fights symptoms of fever.
Clove oil contains anti-inflammatory properties that help in reducing pain and inflammation. It also helps in reducing body pain which is commonly experienced by people suffering from fever. Clove oil has antifungal and antibacterial properties as well that help fight germs.
The study suggests that clove oil is rich in eugenol compound that helps in reducing fever and its symptoms.
You can use any of your favorite essential oils to reduce a fever. Though you need to know about the areas where oils are applied for utilizing the maximum benefits of essential oil (17).
How To Use Essential Oils For Reducing Fever?
Essential oils can be used in many different forms to treat fever. Though, one thing should be kept in mind essential oils should be diluted before applying them to the skin.
Undiluted essential oils are high in concentration and can cause skin irritation, redness, inflammation, or any allergic reactions. So, to avoid this, dilute essential oils with a carrier oil like coconut oil, jojoba oil, sweet almond oil, argan oil, apricot oil, etc.
Following are some of the ways in which essential oils can be used to treat fever. Learn how to use essential oils for fever treatment.
Directly using essential oils for relief of fever
You can dip a cotton ball in essential oils and sniff the oil directly. Or you can put a few drops of oil on your handkerchief or pillow that will help you in inhaling the oil and will offer relief from fever.
Diffusing essential oils for fever reduction
You can add a few drops of essential oil or a mix of essential oils in a diffuser and diffuse it in your bedroom, office, kitchen, or anywhere. This will help you to inhale essential oils through your surroundings and will help you heal faster from your fever.
Using essential oils in the bath for reducing fever
You can mix 3 to 5 drops of essential oil with an equal amount of carrier oil in a bowl and add this mixture to your bath. Immerse yourself in the bathtub. This technique will help you to utilize the anti-fever properties of essential oils effectively.
Boil 2 cups of water and add 5 to 7 drops of essential oil to it. Take a cloth over your head and inhale the steam. Try to keep your eyes closed as it can cause irritation to your eyes.
What Are Some DIY Blends Or DIY Essential Oil Recipes To Treat A Fever?
DIY essential oil recipe to treat fever in adults
- 2 drops of eucalyptus oil
- 2 drops of peppermint oil
- 2 drops of tea tree oil
- 1 tablespoon of carrier oil of your choice
- Take a small bowl and mix all the above oils in it.
- Apply this essential oil blend to your forehead, the back of the neck, the bottom of the feet, and the tip of your ears.
- You can reapply this DIY essential oil blend after every 1 to 2 hours until the fever is reduced.
DIY essential oil blend for relief of fever for babies and small children
- 3 drops of lavender oil
- 2 drops of basil oil
- 1 ounce of carrier oil
- Take a small bowl and mix all the oils in it.
- Apply this mixture to the bottom of the feet and spine of the babies.
DIY warming blend to get relief in chills during fever
- 10 drops of ginger oil
- 5 drops of clove oil
- 5 drops of black pepper oil
- Coconut oil (Carrier oil)
- 10 ml roller bottle
- Take the roller bottle and add the essential oils to it.
- Fill the rest of the space in the roller bottle with coconut oil.
- Shake the bottle thoroughly to mix all the oils properly and make a nice blend.
- Store this bottle in a cool and dark place.
- Apply this blend on your chest, back, throat, and bottoms of the feet.
DIY essential oil body mist to treat fever
- 15 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 10 drops of lemon oil
- 5 drops of basil oil
- 60 ml distilled water
- Spray bottle
- Take the spray bottle and add essential oils and distilled water to it.
- Shake the bottle to blend oil and water properly.
- Store the bottle in a cool and dark place.
- Spray the mist near your throat, chest, pulse points, and on your body to inhale the essential oils throughout the day and get instant relief from fever.
DIY soothing lotion by using essential oils to break a fever
- 5 drops of lavender oil
- 3 drops of chamomile oil
- 3 drops of black pepper oil
- 50 ml of aqueous cream
- Take the cream and add all the essential oils to it.
- Stir the cream properly to make it a nice blended lotion with essential oils.
- Apply this lotion over your chest and back for relief of fever.
Points To Remember
Keep the following points in mind to use essential oils safely.
- Take a patch test before applying essential oils to your skin to make sure that there is no allergic reaction.
- If you experience any allergic reaction, immediately discontinue the use of essential oils and consult your doctor.
- Avoid using essential oils if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Avoid using undiluted essential oils and dilute them with carrier oil before application.
- Avoid using an excess of essential oils as it can cause skin irritation and discomfort.
- Try to use pure essential oils to avoid any side effects.
- Never ingest essential oils until recommended by your doctor.
Essential oils are natural remedies that can help bring down a fever. Essential oils are safe for use and have almost negligible side effects. Essential oils have natural fever-reducing properties like menthol, antipyretic activity, and eugenol compound that helps effectively reduce a fever. Essential oils can be used to treat mild fever in adults and children. Essential oils have anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antimicrobial, antifungal, and antiviral properties that help reduce the symptoms of a fever and fever strikes.
What essential oils are good for fever?
Peppermint oil, eucalyptus oil, frankincense oil, cinnamon oil, ginger oil, clove oil, lemon oil, tea tree oil, basil oil, lavender oil, black pepper oil, chamomile oil, are some of the essential oils that are good for fever.
Where do you put peppermint oil for fever?
You can put peppermint oil on the bottoms of the feet, on the neck, on chest and on back for reducing fever.
Does lavender oil help with fever?
Yes. Lavender oil has anti-inflammatory properties that help in releasing pain and inflammation. Lavender oil has calming and sedative properties that help calm the mind and body during fever.
Is oregano oil good for fever?
Yes. oregano oil can be used to treat fever and its associated respiratory symptoms.
- Int J Sports Phys Ther. (2018) INFLUENCE OF TOPICALLY APPLIED MENTHOL COOLING GEL ON SOFT TISSUE THERMODYNAMICS AND ARTERIAL AND CUTANEOUS BLOOD FLOW AT REST. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6044592/
- Drug Res (Stuttg) (2014). U. R. Juergens. Anti-inflammatory Properties of the Monoterpene 1.8-cineole: Current Evidence for Co-medication in Inflammatory Airway Diseases. https://www.thieme-connect.com/products/ejournals/abstract/10.1055/s-0034-1372609
- Yingli Chen, Chunlan Zhou. Composition and potential anticancer activities of essential oils obtained from myrrh and frankincense. https://www.spandidos-publications.com/ol/6/4/1140#
- Postepy Hig Med Dosw (online), (2016) Frankincense – therapeutic properties. https://naturalsolutions.nz/articles/Frankincense-therapeutic-properties-2016.pdf
- Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. (2014) Cinnamon: A Multifaceted Medicinal Plant. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4003790/
- Journal of Food Processing and Preservation.Amin N. Olaimat. Inhibitory effects of cinnamon and thyme essential oils against Salmonella spp. in hummus (chickpea dip). https://ifst.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/jfpp.13925
- Acta Agriculturae Scandinavica, Section B — Soil & Plant Science. Volume 69, (2019). Clinical aspects and health benefits of ginger (Zingiber officinale) in both traditional Chinese medicine and modern industry. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/09064710.2019.1606930
- Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine. Volume 5, Issue 8, (2015) Essential oils used in aromatherapy: A systemic review. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2221169115001033
- Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition. Volume 56, (2016) Postharvest Processing and Benefits of Black Pepper, Coriander, Cinnamon, Fenugreek, and Turmeric Spices. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10408398.2012.759901
- Food Chemistry. Volume 136, Issue 2, (2013). Nutrients, phytochemicals and bioactivity of wild Roman chamomile: A comparison between the herb and its preparations. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S030881461201309X
- Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. (2013). Lavender and the Nervous System. https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ecam/2013/681304/
- American Journal of Critical Care. Effect of Lavender Aromatherapy on Vital Signs and Perceived Quality of Sleep in the Intermediate Care Unit: A Pilot Study. https://aacnjournals.org/ajcconline/article-abstract/23/1/24/3840/Effect-of-Lavender-Aromatherapy-on-Vital-Signs-and?redirectedFrom=fulltext
- Basil Seeds as a Novel Food, Source of Nutrients and Functional Ingredients with Beneficial Properties: A Review. https://www.mdpi.com/2304-8158/10/7/1467
- Biological activities of basil essential oil: a review of the current evidence. https://rsdjournal.org/index.php/rsd/article/view/20409
- Journal of Essential Oil Research. Tea tree oil: a promising essential oil. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10412905.2016.1232665
- Cold And Flu: Conventional vs Botanical & Nutritional Therapy. https://www.itmedicalteam.pl/articles/cold-and-flu-conventional-vs-botanical-nutritional-therapy-101168.html
- Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry (2012). Recent Trends in Indian Traditional Herbs Syzygium Aromaticum and its Health Benefits. https://www.phytojournal.com/archives?year=2012&vol=1&issue=1&ArticleId=3&si=false
- 13 Amazing Essential Oils For Dandruff | Anti-Dandruff Essential Oils Remedies
- Essential Oils For Cold Sores Relief | Essential Oils To Get Rid Off Cold Sores
- 15 Best Essential Oils For Hair Growth | Essential Oils That Boost Hair Growth
- Tea Tree Oil For Cold Sores | How To Use Tea Tree Oil For Cold Sores?
- Best Essential Oils For Allergies | Essential Oils For Seasonal Allergies
- 15 Benefits of Turmeric Essential Oil – Uses and Recipes
- Essential Oils For Ants | How To Get Rid Of Ants Using Essential Oils?
- How To Use Essential Oils In Body Butter? | How To Make A Body Butter?