Elemi Essential Oil : Benefits, Uses, DIY Recipe And Precautions
What Is Elemi Essential Oil?
Elemi essential oil is achieved through the process called steam distillation of resin. This resin is taken from the tree whose botanical name is Canarium luzonicum, one of the Asian trees and is native to the Philippines . The oils achieved through the distillation process have many health benefits, especially for healing wounds and dealing with respiratory issues .
|Name||Elemi Essential Oil|
Anti-inflammatory, tonic, stomachic, stimulant, antioxidant, analgesic, expectorant, nervine
|Limonene, Elemicin, Elemol, 1,8-Cineole, p-Cymene|
Fresh lemon with pepper overtone
Blends well with
|Frankincense, bergamot, lime, lemon, orange, sage, cinnamon, myrrh, ginger, litsea cubeba, cardamom, basil and nutmeg essential oils|
|Frankincense, myrrh or cinnamon essential oils|
What Are The Benefits Of Elemi Essential Oil?
There are several benefits of elemi essential oil ranging from its use in skincare, healthcare, and dealing with anti-ageing, aromatherapy etc.
Elemi Essential Oil For Skin Health
It Reverses The Damage To the Skin
One of the major benefits of elemi essential oil is seen for skincare. Today, the lifestyle of people has become very hectic and the increasing pollution and dirt causes a lot of damage to their skin.
So, they intend to detox their skin from time to time but in an easy and convenient manner. Elemi oil has many medicinal benefits and has the ability to fight free radicals and reduce the chances of breakouts. It is also useful for users who wish to have even skin tone. Elemi oil removes impurities from the skin giving a rejuvenated look.
It Protects The Skin From Infections
Elemi oil has antibacterial and antifungal properties protecting skin from infections and thus promotes healthy skin. It is highly useful for people with sensitive skin.
Elemi Oil For Youthful Skin
Elemi essential oil also possesses anti-ageing properties and helps reduce fine lines and wrinkles giving a much healthier and younger looking skin.
It Soothes The Skin
Elemi oil contains monoterpenes which is also found in frankincense essential oil and myrrh essential oil, and this has the ability to offer calmness to the user as it relaxes the skin tissues.
Elemi Oil Treats Skin Wounds
Elemi oil also fights the signs of skin ailments caused by disease-causing microbes like cuts, scrapes, and burns in order to prevent infection. It gives relief from infections skin conditions.
Oil for Skin Tone
Elemi oil evens the skin tone giving a glowing and hydrated look. It also helps in fighting acne and reducing blemishes and acne scars leaving a brighter and even skin.
Hydrates and Nourishes Skin
Elemi oil is known for its water retention properties and this makes the skin much more hydrated, nourished and moisturized. It can solve the issue of dry skin.
Elemi Oil Promotes Calmness
Oil for Meditation
All those people invested in the deep-rooted beliefs of manifestation and meditation would love using the refreshing and rustic elemi essential oil. It is perfect for grounding people in themselves and their inner selves.
Elemi Oil for Healthy Life
Protects the Body Against Pathogens
Elemi oil has many health benefits as well. This oils antiseptic characteristics helps in developing a shield to protect against all the viruses, bacteria, fungi, and microorganisms. One of the many uses of elemi oil is to heal harsh wounds .
Boosts Digestive Functions
Elemi oil is also good for proper functioning of digestive system as it promotes better circulation and hormonal releases that are necessary for digestive system.
Oil Good for nervous System
The nervous system runs our body and using this Elemi essential oil stimulates nerve reactions which help in jump-starting the body. This can help the holistic health of our body and increase the natural functioning of its systems .
Pain Relieving Oil
Elemi oil has the ability to release users from different sorts of pain like muscular pain, back aches and even sometimes extreme headaches. Elemi oil has properties to offer relief and relaxation in muscular fatigue.
It Brings Down Fever
Essential Oil For Coughs
One of the common benefits of elemi oil is seen in coughing and other respiratory congestion issues. It also has the ability to give relief from chronic coughs and respiratory tract infections
What Are The Uses Of Elemi essential oil?
Elemi oil has all the necessary chemical and biological compositions for reducing skin conditions, healing our fatigues, ending breathing difficulties and even helping you feel energised and fit again. With all its versatility, listed below are a few ways to hack the system and use this amazing oil:
Elemi Oil For Skincare
Oil for Dry Skin
Elemi oil deeply moisturizes the skin and gives it a soft and smooth look. This oil is beneficial for those with dry skin. The oil keeps the skin moisturized for a long period of time.
Elemi oil has the ability to improve water retention of skin thus making the skin much more moisturized and healthy. It also fights the signs of ageing link fine lines and wrinkles. It is found as an important ingredient in many cosmetics.
Elemi Oil for Blemishes
It treats spots and blemishes to give a supple and radiant skin . The oil is mixed with carrier oil or other creams and lotion and left on the skin for at least half an hour.
Treats Skin Infections
Many bacterial infections cause skin damage. Elemi oil has antiseptic and antibacterial properties and thus can be used for fighting skin infections .
How To Use Elemi Oil As Moisturizer for Skin
To give your skin the moisture it needs, here's a hack. Take a few drops of your favorite skin cream or lotion and mix it with some Elemi essential oil. Once it is fully mixed, gently rub it into your face and watch the magic happen!
- Per 5ml of moisturizer or carrier oil, use no more than 4 to 5 drops.
- Massage the mixture all over the skin, then pat it dry or let it absorb completely.
*Note- Before applying to your body make sure to do a patch test for your safety.
Elemi Oil For Wounds And Pain Treatment
Essential Oil for Back Pain
The pain-reducing elements of the oil help it become one of the best oils for people with any sore parts of their body. Many people use Elemi oil on their backs to reduce back aches.
An Excellent Oil For Outdoors
For people who love being outdoors and are sporty, this oil can help reduce tension in your muscles and body.
Massage Oil for Joints
As a massage oil, Elemi oil works as a miracle oil in improving all your bodily joints and movements. It has anti-inflammatory properties that soothe the swelling and pain in the joints.
Improves Respiratory Health Conditions
Elemi Oil Eases Breathing
One of the common use of elemi oil is seen in treating respiratory issues. It helps release congestion and promotes easy breathing.
It is Used to Boost Immunity
Elemi oil can also support a stronger immune system to assist you to avoid becoming sick. Its therapeutic properties lower the pressure on the immune system, thus making it stronger.
Used to Combat Nerve Pain
It can also be used to relax nervous systems giving a refreshing experience to the users. The oil is mixed with carrier oils and applied along the nerve path.
Treat Colds and Coughs with Elemi Essential OIl
Applied Topically To Ease Breathing
Elemi oil can also be used in the form of vapour rub to get relief from congestion. Please ensure this oil is adequately diluted and then apply it. Take a deep breath and apply it to your chest. Be careful if you have sensitive skin.
Traditional Uses Of Elemi Oil
Elemi Oil For Health
The elemi tree stems comes from the same botanical family as frankincense . This Elemi tree has been long witnessed as a traditional remedy to a lot of problems related to skin, and body ailments.
Religious Use of Elemi
A lot of religious institutions also believe in this botanical family and often use these oils for skin care, wound healing and mix it with other oils to offer to their sacred gods.
Ancient Analgesic Uses of Elemi Oil
The tangy sweet aroma is associated with ancient Egypt and their belief in the oil's analgesic properties.
It is a rejuvenating powerhouse which is responsible to cure and treat many customers who use it for spot treatment and wound care.
It is a trusty alternative to conventional medical practices and has been used for centuries. It acts a complementary solution for several ailments.
Improves Skin Elasticity And Radiance
Ingredient For Cosmetics
Big brands like Chanel add a bit of Elemi to their recipes purely because of how beneficial the oil is. To lift and pump your skin, Elemi oil increases your collagen production and gives you tighter skin .
Maintains Skin Elasticity
In addition to reducing wrinkles, fine lines and crow's feet, it will tone the skin and make it tighter. It maintains the skin’s elasticity.
Elemi Oil Promotes Stimulation
It Regulates and Balances Hormones
We all have hormones constantly running rampant in our bodies. The secretion and movement of these in our body are aided and created by the endocrine glands. This can also be regulated and stimulated with the help of elemi oil
It Boosts Stomach Functions
Even gastronomical activities which moderate the digestive system can be aided using Elemi essential oil.
Promotes Other Body Functions
When evaluated, it was found that our body is stimulated by the usage of Elemi oil. Cosmetics to family medicine use this oil to aid the breathing, circulatory and menstrual functioning of our body.
How To Use Elemi Essential Oil?
It can be directly inhaled or diffused to enjoy a meditative environment
It can be added or mixed with serum, moisturizers, or other facial essences in order to get a healthy and glowing skin
For all those people who feel heavy fatigue, aromatherapy using essential oils can help counter that and bring emotional calmness.
It can be used directly on spots and blemishes
It can be used directly to massage on affected areas like in case of headaches and body aches
It can be applied on temples, crown region, ear lobes, etc. to enjoy its refreshing fragrance
Aromatherapy Vapor Rub With Elemi
This vapour rub is a great sleep cough cure since it can reduce coughing, remove phlegm, and ease chest congestion. It is used to treat cold and flu as well . Following is the procedure to perform aromatherapy vapor rub by using elemi essential oil:
1.5 ounces of your favourite wax
½ ounce organic butter
Fractionated Coconut, 1 oz.
Elemi essential oil drops
Glass Jar, 4 ounces
Melt and combine the Shea Butter and Soy Wax in a double boiler.
The combination should be taken off the fire and allowed to cool.
Add the carrier oil made from fractionated coconut and the essential oil gradually.
Transfer the mixture to a Glass Jar once it has been thoroughly mixed.
Store in a cool and dry environment.
Please ensure your safety while making the same.
Can Elemi Essential Oil Be Used For Animals?
Essential oils are very beneficial for human beings, but this might not be necessary for animals. One animal however that appreciates the goodness of Elemi essential oil is horses, who find a lot of tranquillity in the oil itself.
A few ways to give the oil to them are:
Pour very few drops of the oil on your own hand and let the animal take a small whiff of the oil through its nose. Ensure no oil gets inside their mouth.
Apply a very small amount of dilute essential oil to your hand and slowly massage it onto its non-sensitive parts.
What Are Some of The Precautions Related to The Use of Elemi Oil?
- It is truly important to take note of how you use essential oils in your daily life.
- Essential oils are responsible for a lot of mishaps if used incorrectly therefore proper guidance is required.
- As essential oils are made from potent materials pregnant women, old people and young children should be very vary of using them.
- Essential oil safety is a key part of using any essential oil. This oil can make skin more sensitive and may include methyl eugenol.
- Never apply undiluted essential oils to mucous membranes such as the eyes. If you are not dealing with a licensed and knowledgeable practitioner, avoid taking it internally.
- Keep children at a distance. Harmful chemicals should never be missed with essential oils. Skin irritation is common hence a patch test is mandatory.
- Apply a little amount of diluted essential oil to your inner arm or back as a patch test before using topically, then cover the area with a bandage. If there is any irritation, wash the area. It is safe to use on your skin if there is no irritability after 48 hours.
- Please contact a health care practitioner or medical practitioner in case of any reaction.
- If possible, consult a doctor before you start using any essential oils.
What does essential oil of elemi smell like?
Elemi essential oil extracted from the Canarium luzonicum tree has an intense balsamic and spicy aroma with a tinge of lemony or citrusy scent.
What is elemi essential oil used for?
Elemi essential oil is has several medicinal properties and used for the following purposes: - · It is used in skincare as it is suitable for all skin types. It can eliminate toxins and dirt from the skin and prevent acne. It gives the skin a vibrant look. · It is used for healing wounds and cuts. The oil has natural antiseptic and analgesic properties and hence prevents sepsis of wounds. · It has anti-inflammatory properties and hence applied on muscles and joints to ease pain and inflammation. It is also used as a relaxing rub. · It is an expectorant that promotes respiratory health. It eliminates mucus and phlegm from the respiratory tract, thus enabling easy breathing. · It is used to boost the immune power of the body.
Where to buy elemi essential oil?
You can buy elemi essential oil at Gya Labs. While buying essential oils you should verify the authenticity of the product. At Gya labs you can check the English and Latin names of the product, verify the source of the product, and learn about the essential oil most suited for your needs.
What can I diffuse with Elemi?
Some of the essential oils that can be diffused with elemi oil are: - · Grapefruit essential oil · Frankincense essential oil · Myrrh essential oil · Cinnamon essential oil · Sage essential oil · Bergamot essential oil · Basil essential oil · Most citrus based essential oils
Is Elemi oil good for hair?
Elemi oil has nourishing and hydrating properties that are good for the scalp health and hair growth. It has anti-inflammatory properties that soothe the scalp and antimicrobial properties that prevent infections.
Is Elemi as good as Frankincense?
Frankincense essential oil is called the King of Essential Oils. Frankincense and elemi essential oil may have a few common compounds including monoterpenes: however, frankincense essential oil is more popular and potent than elemi oil. Elemi oil on the other hand has certain therapeutic compounds which are absent in frankincense oil. Hence both oils have its benefits and uses.
Where does Elemi oil come from?
Elemi essential oil is extracted from the large evergreen tree Canarium luzonicum, which is native to the Philippines. The oleoresin from the tree is called elemi.
- Ahu SOYOCAK Ayşe AK Ebru ÖNEM. (2022). Anti-quorum sensing and cytotoxic activity of elemi essential oil. https://dergipark.org.tr/en/pub/ijsm/issue/72260/1059886.
- Preetha Bhadra Centurion University of Technology and Management. (2021). Aromatherapy. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/350038518_Aromatherapy.
- Filomena Nazzaro, Florinda Fratianni, Laura De Martino, Raffaele Coppola, and Vincenzo De Feo. (2013). Effect of Essential Oils on Pathogenic Bacteria. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3873673/.
- MANNKOFF, EMIL. American Journal of Pharmacy (1835-1907). ON THE POISONOUS PROPERTIES OF THE ETHEREAL OIL OF ELEMI.. https://www.proquest.com/openview/0b2db372b68306b4f357b7c9ce4016e3/1?pq-origsite=gscholar&cbl=41445.
- Analytica Chimica Acta. Volume 407, Issues 1–2, 29 February 2000, Pages 261-274. Analysis with micro-Raman spectroscopy of natural organic binding media and varnishes used in art. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0003267099008272.
- Elemi Oil for Blemishes. https://books.google.co.in/books?hl=en&lr=&id=B3L8DwAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PA37&dq=Elemi+Oil+for+Blemishes&ots=u0ZSZmpSuO&sig=3SGYhcSLHlLOLTdSUOkwXX6GWhs&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=Elemi%20Oil%20for%20Blemishes&f=false.
- Stephanie Leigh-de Rapper,Sandy F. van Vuuren. (2020). Odoriferous Therapy: A Review Identifying Essential Oils against Pathogens of the Respiratory Tract. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/cbdv.202000062.
- Ananias, Tswanya Yisa, Abdullahi, Orire Mohammad, and Yusuf, Gimba Alhassan. (2014). Growth Performance and Body Composition of Clarias gariepinus Fingerlings Fed Varying Inclusion Level of Canarium schweinfurtii (African Elemi) Oil. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/335794520_Growth_Performance_and_Body_Composition_of_Clarias_gariepinus_Fingerlings_Fed_Varying_Inclusion_Level_of_Canarium_schweinfurtii_African_Elemi_Oil.
- Annmarie Gianni. (2022). Elemi Essential Oil, Naturally Firm and Tighten the Look of Your Skin. https://www.annmariegianni.com/elemi-essential-oil-naturally-firm-and-tighten-look/.
- Deuel Eamilao. (2020). Manila Elemi: A prized ingredient in the skincare industry. https://www.emotion-master-studentproject.eu/post/manila-elemi-a-prized-ingredient-in-the-skincare-industry#:~:text=Research%20has%20shown%20that%20Elemi,soft%20tissue%20infections%20%5B8%5D.
- Aromatherapy Science: A Guide for Healthcare Professionals. https://books.google.co.in/books?hl=en&lr=&id=rGQps9fQX1YC&oi=fnd&pg=PR11&dq=Aromatherapy+Vapor+Rub+with+Elemi&ots=Bq1xSEg5f4&sig=WT5iSiB-8N_domXmgiZLnar3j1Y&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false.
- Best Candles For Meditation And Its Benefits
- Xanthan Gum On Skin – Is It Good Or Bad?
- Peppermint Oil For Lips – Get Plump Lips with Peppermint Balm
- Complete Guide on Rosemary Water | Homemade Rosemary Water for Hair Growth, Long and Healthy Hair
- Essential Oils To Boost Your Immune System Support
- 13 Top Essential Oils for Snoring | Snore Stop Essential Oil Recipe
- Vitamin C Pack For Face – Benefits and Homemade Recipe
- Coconut Oil Vs Olive Oil For Hair | Difference Between Olive Oil And Coconut Oil For Hair