Elemi Essential Oil : Benefits, Uses, DIY Recipe And Precautions
What Is Elemi Essential Oil?
Elemi essential oil is achieved through the process called steam distillation of resin. This resin is taken from the tree whose botanical name is Canarium luzonicum, one of the Asian trees and is native to the Philippines . The oils achieved through the distillation process have many health benefits, especially for healing wounds.
|Name||Elemi Essential Oil|
|Limonene, Elemicin, Elemol, 1,8-Cineole, p-Cymene|
Fresh lemon with pepper overtone
Blends well with
|Frankincense, bergamot, lime, lemon, orange, sage, cinnamon, myrrh, ginger, litsea cubeba, cardamom, basil and nutmeg essential oils|
|Frankincense, myrrh or cinnamon essential oils|
What Are The Benefits Of Elemi Essential Oil?
There are several benefits of elemi essential oil ranging from its use in skincare, healthcare, and dealing with anti-ageing, aromatherapy etc.
Elemi Essential Oil For Skin Health
1. It Reverses The Damage To the Skin
One of the major benefits of elemi essential oil is seen for skincare. Today, the lifestyle of people has become very hectic and the increasing pollution and dirt causes a lot of damage to their skin.
So, they intend to detox their skin from time to time but in an easy and convenient manner. Elemi oil has many medicinal benefits and has the ability to fight free radicals and reduce the chances of breakouts. It is also useful for users who wish to have even skin tone. Elemi oil removes impurities from the skin giving a rejuvenated look.
2. Elemi Oil For Youthful Skin
Elemi essential oil also possesses age-defying properties and helps reduce fine lines and wrinkles giving a much healthier younger-looking skin.
3. It Soothes The Skin
Elemi oil contains monoterpenes which is also found in frankincense essential oil and myrrh essential oil, and this has the ability to offer calmness to the user as it relaxes the skin tissues.
4. Oil for Skin Tone
Elemi oil evens the skin tone giving a glowing and hydrated look. It also helps in fighting acne and reducing blemishes and acne scars leaving a brighter and even skin.
5. Hydrates and Nourishes Skin
Elemi oil is known for its water retention properties and this makes the skin much more hydrated, nourished and moisturized. It can solve the issue of dry skin.
Elemi Oil Promotes Calmness
Oil for Meditation
All those people invested in the deep-rooted beliefs of manifestation and meditation would love using the refreshing and rustic elemi essential oil. It is perfect for grounding people in themselves and their inner selves.
What Are The Uses Of Elemi Essential Oil?
Elemi oil has all the necessary chemical and biological compositions for reducing skin conditions, healing our fatigues, ending breathing difficulties and even helping you feel energized and fit again. With all its versatility, listed below are a few ways to hack the system and use this amazing oil:
Elemi Oil For Skincare
1. Oil for Dry Skin
Elemi oil deeply moisturizes the skin and gives it a soft and smooth look. This oil is beneficial for those with dry skin. The oil keeps the skin moisturized for a long period of time.
2. Age defying Oil
Elemi oil has the ability to improve water retention of skin thus making the skin much more moisturized and healthy. It also fights the signs of ageing like fine lines and wrinkles. It is found as an important ingredient in many cosmetics.
3. Elemi Oil for Blemishes
It treats spots and blemishes to give a supple and radiant skin . The oil is mixed with carrier oil or other creams and lotion and left on the skin for at least half an hour.
How To Use Elemi Oil As Moisturizer for Skin
To give your skin the moisture it needs, here's a hack. Take a few drops of your favorite skin cream or lotion and mix it with some Elemi essential oil. Once it is fully mixed, gently rub it into your face and watch the magic happen!
- Per 5ml of moisturizer or carrier oil, use no more than 4 to 5 drops.
- Massage the mixture all over the skin, then pat it dry or let it absorb completely.
*Note- Before applying to your body make sure to do a patch test for your safety.
Traditional Uses Of Elemi Oil
1. Elemi Oil For Health
The elemi tree stems come from the same botanical family as frankincense . This Elemi tree has been long witnessed as a traditional remedy to a lot of problems related to skin, and body ailments.
2. Religious Use of Elemi
A lot of religious institutions also believe in this botanical family and often use these oils for skin care, wound healing and mix it with other oils to offer to their sacred gods.
3. Ancient Analgesic Uses of Elemi Oil
The tangy sweet aroma is associated with ancient Egypt and their belief in the oil's analgesic properties.
5. Rejuvenating Properties
It is a rejuvenating powerhouse which is responsible to cure and treat many customers who use it for spot treatment and wound care.
Improves Skin Elasticity And Radiance
1. Ingredient For Cosmetics
Big brands like Chanel add a bit of Elemi to their recipes purely because of how beneficial the oil is. To lift and pump your skin, Elemi oil increases your collagen production and gives you tighter skin .
2. Maintains Skin Elasticity
In addition to reducing wrinkles, fine lines, and crow's feet, it will tone the skin and make it tighter. It maintains the skin’s elasticity.
Aromatherapy Vapor Rub With Elemi
This vapour rub is a great sleep cough cure since it can reduce coughing, remove phlegm, and ease chest congestion. It is used to treat cold and flu as well . Following is the procedure to perform aromatherapy vapor rub by using elemi essential oil:
1.5 ounces of your favourite wax
½ ounce organic butter
Fractionated Coconut, 1 oz.
Elemi essential oil drops
Glass Jar, 4 ounces
Melt and combine the Shea Butter and Soy Wax in a double boiler.
The combination should be taken off the fire and allowed to cool.
Add the carrier oil made from fractionated coconut and the essential oil gradually.
Transfer the mixture to a Glass Jar once it has been thoroughly mixed.
Store in a cool and dry environment.
Please ensure your safety while making the same.
African Elemi Benefits
Elemi is native to the Philippines, but there is another species of the oleoresin present in a different part of the world – Africa (Uganda, Mali Nigeria and Angola). The large tree is botanically called Canarium schweinfurthii. It has several other names including African elemi, bush candle and African olive. In West Africa, the bluish-purple resin from the plant is used for spiritual practices and for fumigating homes. African elemi also has several other benefits.
The plant belongs to the Burseraceae family of trees, the same as the uber beneficial Frankincense. The African elemi oil is extracted from the fruit of the tree. The green-colored oil has been to prepare traditional cuisines. However, the oil is nutritious and contains oleic acid and limonene, which are known for its terrific effect on skin health
African Elemi Oil Benefits & Uses
1. African Elemi Oil Benefit for Stomach Health
African elemi has been used traditionally in herbal medicines to deal with stomach-related ailments. The essential oil version of the oleoresin can be used to massage stomach to get relief from any distress. However, it is not to be used in lieu of any medicines.
2. African Elemi Oil Benefit for Breathing
Essential oils are renowned for their aroma and elemi oil is no different. Diffuse the oil in the room and inhale its aroma deeply to create a positive breathing experience. It can be diluted in a bowl of hot water and the steam can be inhaled.
3. African Elemi Oil Benefit for Skin
African elemi oil is used as an ingredient in many cosmetic products due to its benefits for the skin. The oil can be diluted and included in daily skincare routine. Elemi oil provides the skin with moisture.
4. African Elemi Oil Benefit for Healing
Diluted essential oil of African elemi has the ability of healing the skin and is applied on wounds. However, it should only be used on minor wounds. In case of major wounds or burns consult a physician.
DIY Recipes with Elemi Essential Oil
Recipe #1 - Super Aphrodisiac Spray
- Spritzer or spray bottle
- 4 drops of elemi essential oil
- 4 drops of neroli essential oil
- 8 drops of bergamot essential oil
- 6 drops of coriander essential oil
- 5 drops of wild orange essential oil
- 2 drops of cardamom essential oil
- Add all the ingredients in the spray bottles.
- Always shake well before use.
- Use it in the bedroom to fire up your romance.
Recipe #2 - Summertime Diffuser Blend
- 6 drops of elemi essential oil
- 3 drops of ylang ylang essential oil
- 3 drops of lavender essential oil
- 4 drops of geranium essential oil
- Add these oils in an aroma diffuser to experience the joy of spring time.
Recipe #3 - Essential Oil Blend After Long Day’s Work
- 3 drops of cedarwood essential oil
- 3 drops of lemongrass essential oil
- 5 drops of elemi essential oil
- 6 drops of cypress essential oil
- Add these oils in an aroma diffuser to experience the joy of spring time.
Can Elemi Essential Oil Be Used For Animals?
Essential oils are very beneficial for human beings, but this might not be necessary for animals. One animal however that appreciates the goodness of Elemi essential oil is horses, who find a lot of tranquillity in the oil itself.
A few ways to give the oil to them are:
Pour very few drops of the oil on your own hand and let the animal take a small whiff of the oil through its nose. Ensure no oil gets inside their mouth.
Apply a very small amount of dilute essential oil to your hand and slowly massage it onto its non-sensitive parts.
What Are Some of The Precautions Related to The Use of Elemi Oil?
- It is truly important to take note of how you use essential oils in your daily life.
- Essential oils are responsible for a lot of mishaps if used incorrectly therefore proper guidance is required.
- As essential oils are made from potent materials pregnant women, old people and young children should be wary of using them.
- Essential oil safety is a key part of using any essential oil. This oil can make skin more sensitive and may include methyl eugenol.
- Never apply undiluted essential oils to mucous membranes such as the eyes. If you are not dealing with a licensed and knowledgeable practitioner, avoid taking it internally.
- Keep children at a distance. Harmful chemicals should never be missed with essential oils. Skin irritation is common hence a patch test is mandatory.
- Apply a little amount of diluted essential oil to your inner arm or back as a patch test before using topically, then cover the area with a bandage. If there is any irritation, wash the area. It is safe to use on your skin if there is no irritability after 48 hours.
- Please contact a health care practitioner or medical practitioner in case of any reaction.
- If possible, consult a doctor before you start using any essential oils.
What does essential oil of elemi smell like?
Elemi essential oil extracted from the Canarium luzonicum tree has an intense balsamic and spicy aroma with a tinge of lemony or citrusy scent.
What is elemi essential oil used for?
Elemi essential oil is has several medicinal properties and used for the following purposes: - · It is used in skincare as it is suitable for all skin types. It can eliminate toxins and dirt from the skin and prevent acne. It gives the skin a vibrant look. ·
Where to buy elemi essential oil?
You can buy elemi essential oil at Gya Labs. While buying essential oils you should verify the authenticity of the product. At Gya labs you can check the English and Latin names of the product, verify the source of the product, and learn about the essential oil most suited for your needs.
What can I diffuse with Elemi?
Some of the essential oils that can be diffused with elemi oil are: - · Grapefruit essential oil · Frankincense essential oil · Myrrh essential oil · Cinnamon essential oil · Sage essential oil · Bergamot essential oil · Basil essential oil · Most citrus based essential oils
Is Elemi oil good for hair?
Elemi oil has nourishing and hydrating properties that are good for the scalp health and hair growth.
Is Elemi as good as Frankincense?
Frankincense essential oil is called the King of Essential Oils. Frankincense and elemi essential oil may have a few common compounds including monoterpenes: however, frankincense essential oil is more popular and potent than elemi oil. Elemi oil on the other hand has certain therapeutic compounds which are absent in frankincense oil. Hence both oils have its benefits and uses.
Where does Elemi oil come from?
Elemi essential oil is extracted from the large evergreen tree Canarium luzonicum, which is native to the Philippines. The oleoresin from the tree is called elemi.
- Ahu SOYOCAK Ayşe AK Ebru ÖNEM. (2022). Anti-quorum sensing and cytotoxic activity of elemi essential oil. https://dergipark.org.tr/en/pub/ijsm/issue/72260/1059886.
- Preetha Bhadra Centurion University of Technology and Management. (2021). Aromatherapy. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/350038518_Aromatherapy.
- Filomena Nazzaro, Florinda Fratianni, Laura De Martino, Raffaele Coppola, and Vincenzo De Feo. (2013). Effect of Essential Oils on Pathogenic Bacteria. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3873673/.
- MANNKOFF, EMIL. American Journal of Pharmacy (1835-1907). ON THE POISONOUS PROPERTIES OF THE ETHEREAL OIL OF ELEMI.. https://www.proquest.com/openview/0b2db372b68306b4f357b7c9ce4016e3/1?pq-origsite=gscholar&cbl=41445.
- Analytica Chimica Acta. Volume 407, Issues 1–2, 29 February 2000, Pages 261-274. Analysis with micro-Raman spectroscopy of natural organic binding media and varnishes used in art. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0003267099008272.
- Elemi Oil for Blemishes. https://books.google.co.in/books?hl=en&lr=&id=B3L8DwAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PA37&dq=Elemi+Oil+for+Blemishes&ots=u0ZSZmpSuO&sig=3SGYhcSLHlLOLTdSUOkwXX6GWhs&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=Elemi%20Oil%20for%20Blemishes&f=false.
- Stephanie Leigh-de Rapper,Sandy F. van Vuuren. (2020). Odoriferous Therapy: A Review Identifying Essential Oils against Pathogens of the Respiratory Tract. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/cbdv.202000062.
- Ananias, Tswanya Yisa, Abdullahi, Orire Mohammad, and Yusuf, Gimba Alhassan. (2014). Growth Performance and Body Composition of Clarias gariepinus Fingerlings Fed Varying Inclusion Level of Canarium schweinfurtii (African Elemi) Oil. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/335794520_Growth_Performance_and_Body_Composition_of_Clarias_gariepinus_Fingerlings_Fed_Varying_Inclusion_Level_of_Canarium_schweinfurtii_African_Elemi_Oil.
- Annmarie Gianni. (2022). Elemi Essential Oil, Naturally Firm and Tighten the Look of Your Skin. https://www.annmariegianni.com/elemi-essential-oil-naturally-firm-and-tighten-look/.
- Deuel Eamilao. (2020). Manila Elemi: A prized ingredient in the skincare industry. https://www.emotion-master-studentproject.eu/post/manila-elemi-a-prized-ingredient-in-the-skincare-industry#:~:text=Research%20has%20shown%20that%20Elemi,soft%20tissue%20infections%20%5B8%5D.
- Aromatherapy Science: A Guide for Healthcare Professionals. https://books.google.co.in/books?hl=en&lr=&id=rGQps9fQX1YC&oi=fnd&pg=PR11&dq=Aromatherapy+Vapor+Rub+with+Elemi&ots=Bq1xSEg5f4&sig=WT5iSiB-8N_domXmgiZLnar3j1Y&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false.
- What Does Rosemary Smell Like? Understanding the Scent of Rosemary Herb
- Best Essential Oil Blends for Headaches | Effective Essential Oils for Headaches and Migraine
- Pet-Safe Essential Oils | Essential Oils for Cats and Dogs
- Benefits Of Manuka Essential Oil, How To Use Manuka Essential Oil And DIY Recipes
- Fall Essential Oil Blends | Fall Harvest Diffuser Blends
- Moroccan Argan Oil Serum Recipes For Hair, Skin and Nails
- What Does Vetiver Smell Like? Uses and Benefits of Vetiver, Vetiver Scent Profile
- Spikenard Essential Oil Benefits, Uses, and DIY Recipes
- Stamina Essential Oil Blends | Boost and Uplift Mood for Workout | DIY Blends and Benefits