13+ Essential Oils for Face Steaming | Steaming Guide, Benefits And DIY Recipes
Face steaming is one of the best ways to pamper your skin after a tiring day or after returning from a vacation. Face steaming helps to restore the natural shine on the face and keeps the skin youthful and healthy.
But many people find it difficult to go to salons and wait there for their services or want to enjoy face steam in their comfort zone, so there is no need to worry as one can quickly turn their home into a spa with the help of using essential oils for face steaming.
Essential oils are the most natural products one can use for their face and achieve that desired natural beauty. Essential oils are taken from different parts of the plants and so are rich in nutrients and can offer many health benefits to the skin while steaming the face. Before moving ahead, let's find out some of the benefits of steaming your face.
Why Is Face Steaming Essential? | What Are the Benefits of Facial Steams?
There are several benefits of face steaming, especially when combined with the goodness of essential oils for the face. Like,
- Unclog the Pores - One of the important benefits of steaming is that it helps to unclog the pores of the skin as steam opens your pores and helps reduce the excess sebum on the face, thus making the dirt and impurities removal easy.
- It helps reduce breakouts, acne, blackheads, and other issues that people usually face.
- Blood Circulation - Facial steam with essential oils improves blood circulation of the face. It nourishes the skin giving the skin a healthy and natural glow.
- Natural Moisturizer - Steaming face with essential oils acts as a natural moisturizer for the skin and rejuvenates the skin from the inside.
- Steaming the face boosts the production of collagen and elastin, which makes the skin look firm and more youthful.
- The process of face steaming is highly affordable and accessible as one can do it at home using the right ingredients, like essential oils for the skin.
- Facial steam helps soothe the skin and can act as an aromatherapy treatment when combined with essential oils. Essential oil facial can instantly calm the mind and body, giving a completely relaxing experience.
13 Best Essential Oils for Face Steam | Face Steaming With Essential Oils
Face steaming has a lot of benefits for the skin, and these benefits can be further increased by adding essential oils. Adding essential oils can offer a therapeutic experience to the user as they contain pharmacy remedies and many different benefits that can help improve various aspects of people's lives.
Below is the list of 13 best essential oils that can increase the benefits of facial steams
1. Lavender Oil for Face Steaming
Lavender essential oil is considered one of the favourites in skin care essentials as it has relaxing contents and has many benefits for your skin. Lavender oil is one of the best essential oils for dry skin and skin-related issues like eczema. Lavender essential oil is considered mild on the skin, which is why it is usually viewed in face steaming.
One of the vital features of this oil is that it contains antibacterial agents which help reduce microbial attacks over the skin, making it one of the best options for the face. By using this oil in face steams, blood circulation of the face increases, giving a soft and smooth skin.
2. Tea Tree Oil in Face Steams
Tea tree oil is one of the most famous essential oils people use in their skincare regime. Tea tree essential oil can deep cleanse the face and at the same time heal the skin resulting in healthy, smooth, and glowing skin.
Tea tree oil also has antifungal features and, at the same time, absorbs excess oil from the skin and manages sebum production, thus, helping prevent skin from acne .
3. Chamomile Essential Oil in Face Steaming
Chamomile oil has many benefits like it reduces inflammation, helping fight anxiety and dermatitis, offering allergy relief, and promoting calmness, thus making this oil one of the best oils for soothing the face. This oil is best suitable for all skin types and is good for people with sensitive skin.
The oil has antioxidant features which help remove impurities from the skin and increase blood circulation, naturally detoxifying the skin. Its results can be seen in the form of reduced blemishes and signs of aging.  
4. Eucalyptus Oil and Face Steaming
Essential oils are known for its health benefits and eucalyptus essential oil has immense health benefits like aromatherapy that can be used to promote the quality of the skin. Eucalyptus oil possesses anti-inflammatory qualities that help in fighting acne and dermatitis.
One of the benefits of this oil is that it promotes ceramide synthesis, which is essential for nourishment and moisturization of the skin. The antioxidant properties of this oil fight free radicals, thus promoting healthy skin.  
5. Rosemary Essential Oil
Rose essential oil has high antibacterial and antifungal characteristics, which is very good for the skin as it promotes blood circulation and removes impurities and clear pores. This oil has soothing properties which relax the skin and make skin soft and supple. This oil is best suitable for people with oily skin and acne-prone skin.
6. Orange Essential Oil for Face Steams
This essential oil has a very great smell to it which gives a refreshing experience to the users. One of the significant benefits of using this essential oil in face steams is that it helps unclog pores and thus improves effective skin cleansing.
Orange oil is also famous for its antioxidant properties that help reduce blemishes, offering a clear and bright complexion and even skin tone .
7. Lemongrass Oil Face Steaming
This essential oil is famous for its containment of bacterial and microbial development on the skin . Therefore, it is considered that it can promote healthy skin and is a great option to select in one's skincare routine. It treats many bacteria-related skin issues.
One of the unique features of this lemongrass oil is that it acts like an astringent when used in steam facials; thus, it reduces and tightens the pores. It gives a very natural-looking skin and is considered best for oily skin.
8. Geranium Essential Oil for Face
The geranium flower is unique and special as it acts as a natural astringent , which is very helpful in tightening the skin. This oil reduces the sign of aging and blemishes, thus offering the user a brighter skin tone. It makes the skin look naturally beautiful.
9. Frankincense Essential Oil in Face Steaming
This oil is commonly known for its relaxation feature and impacts . Its components help increase the skin's elasticity and, thus, make the skin look more youthful and healthy.
Further, this oil is also known for toning the skin. This essential oil is also used with other essential oils like orange and geranium, mainly for anti-ageing skincare routine.
10. Black Seed Oil for Face Steams
Black seed essential oil has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial characteristics that prevent skin breakouts. This oil also helps in unclogging pores and minimizing them by way of managing the production of sebum.
This oil is rich in nutrients as it contains multiple vitamins and minerals that are good for the skin, like Vitamin C, A, etc. It also targets free radicals, thus fighting signs of aging. You can add this oil to your steam and give your face a youthful look
11. Oregano Essential Oil for Face Steaming
This essential oil has many skin benefits like its anti-inflammatory features helping reduce puffiness or any discomfort caused by allergies, and it also reduces redness and skin irritation.
Oregano oil helps in fighting acne and gives smooth and clear skin . It also fights signs of aging. This oil also possesses antibacterial and antifungal properties, keeping the skin healthy and glowing.
12. Peppermint Oil for Face Steams
This essential oil helps detoxify the skin and gives clear dirt-free skin. Peppermint oil possesses antiseptic characteristics and antibacterial functions and reduces inflammation and skin irritation .
13. Clove Bud Oil in Face Steaming
Clove is known for its anti-aging component; including it in steam facials will act as a boon to the skin. It will reduce wrinkles and fine lines on the face. This oil also contains antibacterial properties offering solutions to acne and breakout problems. Its use helps in achieving young and healthy skin .
How to Perform Facial Steaming?
There are a few methods for performing skin treatment at home simply and conveniently. Facial steaming at home is easy, and with the help of facial steaming techniques, one can enjoy quality skin time. Face steaming benefits can be increased with few drops of essential oils provided right essential oil needs to be selected.
By Using a Bowl of Hot Water
· Placing a bowl on the table and getting a big fluffy towel are the first steps to be performed
· Then tie your hair back and secure it to avoid making a mess out of this process and then cleanse your face with the help of a cleanser that you use. If you want you can rinse your face with lukewarm water.
· Depending upon the size of the bowl, bring the water to boil
· After the water is boiled, pour it into the bowl and add your favourite essential oil to the water and stir it.
· Now place your head roughly 6 inches above the bowl and cover your head with a towel
· You can adjust the placement of your head depending upon your requirement for more or less heat and also can lift one corner of your towel if you want to cool off
· Follow this face steaming process for 5 to 10 minutes
By Using a Facial Steamer
1. For using facial steamers for face steaming, first correctly read the instructions for filling it up
2. Facial steamers have additional nozzles for adding herbs and oils
3. Facial steamer will take a few minutes before emitting the steam, meanwhile tie and secure your hair and exfoliate your face with the help of a cleanser
4. Now sit at a distance of 5 to 10 inches from the nozzle of the facial steamer or as directed by the instructions booklet do not bring your face too close to the nozzles. Put your face where steam opens and enjoy the warm steams
5. Steam your face and neck by taking breaks for at least 1 minute after steam session of 2 to 3 minutes, and enjoy your youthful and nourished skin
By Using a Warm Towel
1. For this, you will require a hand towel and a bowl containing hot water.
2. Add the desired essential oils and herbs to the hot water to guide you with this. A few essential oils have been suggested in this article
3. Now tie and secure your hair and wash your face with the help of a cleanser
4. Now, to begin with, your face steaming with essential oils process, soak the towel in the bowl of hot water and wring it out as you are required to use the towel in a damp condition
5. Now lean back, make yourself comfortable, and place the towel on your face
6. Adjust it accordingly on your face so that it covers your entire face, and then leave it for 5 minutes to enjoy a beautiful and relaxed experience .
You can use any of the above methods and enjoy the benefits of aromatherapy by doing at-home facial and get glowing skin. Though, face steamer is considered as the best option for facial steamers. You can also explore DIY facial methods and add your essential oils in it to get the best results.
DIY Recipes for Face Steaming with Essential Oils
Facial steam with essential oils will give rich aromatherapy benefits to the skin and an overall relaxing experience. Steaming is a great way to relax and calm your skin. And, DIY facial steaming is most appropriate to serve the different needs of the user. Facial with essential oils can alleviate overall steaming experience as it offers extra benefits to the skin. Following are 2 DIY recipes with essential oils for face steaming
1. DIY Face Steam Recipe for Clear and Healthy Skin
- 3 cups of boiling water
- 2-3 drops of lavender essential oil
- 2-3 drops of tea tree essential oil
- Bath towel
- And a heatproof bowl
Steps to Perform:
- Wash your face with the help of a cleanser you prefer.
- Pour the boiling water carefully in a heatproof bowl.
- Add the above mentioned essential oils that is lavender and tea tree oil. Remember that the oil should be added when you are ready for the steam as essential oils start to evaporate the moment it touches the water.
- Place the bath towel over your head to form a tent and cover the bowl. The face should be kept at a safe distance of 12- 18 inches away from the bowl to avoid getting burned from the steam.
- Close your eyes and enjoy facial steam for 5 to 10 minutes
2. DIY Face Steam for Glowing Skin
- 3 cups of boiling water
- 3 drops of Geranium essential oil
- 2 drops of Lavender essential oil
- 2 drops of Orange essential oil
- 2 drops of tea tree essential oil
- Heatproof bowl
- Bath towel
Directions To Perform:
- Wash your face with a gentle cleanser or exfoliator.
- Bring the water to boil and then carefully transfer it in the heatproof bowl.
- Add the above mentioned essential oils in the water .
- Sit in a comfortable position, place your head above the bowl and cover the towel over head in a manner to make tent and cover the bowl as well.
- Steam the face for 5 to 10 minutes and see the glowing look on your face once you are done.
3. Diy Recipe to Calm Your Skin
- 3 cups of boiling water
- 2 drops of Chamomile oil
- 2 drops of Frankincense oil
- Bath towel
- Wash your face with a cleanser and tie your hair back
- Boil 3 cups of water and transfer it in the bowl
- Add the above-mentioned essential oils in water and give it a stir
- Cover your head and bowl with the help of towel to form a tent
- Steam your face for a good 5 to 10 minutes
- Enjoy a relaxed and rejuvenated skin
*Note: These DIY steam recipes can also be performed with the help of steam machines
Points to remember
- Face steaming routine should be done only once or twice a month
- Overuse of essential oils should be avoided
- Applying moisturizer should be followed after face steaming
- Avoid using face peeling products after face steaming
Consider these points to experience a relaxing facial.
D.Ac., L.Ac, M.S
What Essential Oils Are Good for Steaming Your Face?
For dry skin- Lavender, chamomile, frankincense For oily skin - Rosemary, lemongrass, geranium, black seed oil For sensitive skin - Chamomile, frankincense, sandalwood, eucalyptus, For fighting signs of ageing - Chamomile, frankincense, black seed, oregano, clove bud, geranium.
How do you use essential oils in a facial steamer?
1. Plug in the facial steamer and bring the water in it to boil 2. Add herbs and essential oils from the nozzle in the steamer 3. Wash your face with a cleanser 4. Sit at a distance of 5 to 10 minutes from the nozzle from where the steam is emitting 5. Steam your face and neck for 2 to 3 minutes and take a break for 1 minute and again repeat this step.
Should I put oil on my face before steaming?
No, you should clean your face before steaming, as the presence of oil, dirt, makeup, etc. will prevent steam from reaching your pores.
Can I steam my face with eucalyptus oil?
Yes, eucalyptus oil nourishes and moisturises the skin and fights free radicals giving a healthy and youthful skin.
What are the disadvantages of steaming a face?
There are chances that it can cause irritation to sensitive skin or people having skin related issues like eczema, resulting in facial flushing.
Is it OK to steam your face everyday?
No, as it can be harsh on skin and will not give time to pores to close. Face steaming should be done twice a month.
Can I steam my face with tea tree oil?
Yes, tea tree oil cleanses the face deeply, absorbs excess oil from the face, manages sebum production and fights acne producing bacteria.
1. Cavanagh, H.M.A. and Wilkinson, J.M. (2002), Biological activities of Lavender essential oil. Phytother. Res., 16: 301-308. https://doi.org/10.1002/ptr.1103
2. Treatment of acne with tea tree oil (melaleuca) products: A review of efficacy, tolerability and potential modes of action, A.Hammer https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0924857914003458
3. Chapter 8 - Health Promoting Benefits of Chamomile in the Elderly Population Janmejai K.Srivastava, Sanjay Gupta https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B9780123742285000081
4. Aromatherapy for Common Ailments https://books.google.co.in/books?hl=en&lr=&id=RNJcbhxsFtMC&oi=fnd&pg=PA8&dq=chamomile+oil+improves+face+blood+circulation&ots=3jM6Vq16DL&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false
5.Sharmeen JB, Mahomoodally FM, Zengin G, Maggi F. Essential Oils as Natural Sources of Fragrance Compounds for Cosmetics and Cosmeceuticals. Molecules. 2021; 26(3):666. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules26030666
6. Jeane Silva, Worku Abebe, S.M Sousa, V.G Duarte, M.I.L Machado, F.J.A Matos, Analgesic and anti-inflammatory effects of essential oils of Eucalyptus, Journal of Ethnopharmacology, Volume 89, Issues 2–3, 2003, Pages 277-283, ISSN 0378-8741, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2003.09.007
7. P. Sagorchev, J. Lukanov, A.M. Beer, Investigations into the specific effects of rosemary oil at the receptor level, Phytomedicine, Volume 17, Issues 8–9, 2010, Pages 693-697, ISSN 0944-7113, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phymed.2009.09.012.
8. Antioxidant/Lipoxygenase Inhibitory Activities and Chemical Compositions of Selected Essential Oils Alfreda Wei and Takayuki Shibamoto Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 2010 58 (12), 7218-7225 DOI: 10.1021/jf101077s https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf101077s
9. Boukhatem, M. N., Kameli, A., Ferhat, M. A., Saidi, F., & Mekarnia, M. (2013). Rose geranium essential oil as a source of new and safe anti-inflammatory drugs. The Libyan journal of medicine, 8, 22520. https://doi.org/10.3402/ljm.v8i0.22520
10. Clove (Syzygium Aromaticum): A Miraculous Spice Nitin S Gosavi, Swapnil S Koli , Davesh S Jire, Azam Z. Shaikh http://ajphr.com/ajphrfiles/uploaddir/AJPHR_805001.pdf
- 19 Essential Oils For Dark Circles | Effective Essential Oils To Reduce Dark Circles
- 20 Best Essential Oils For Joint Pain | Essential Oils To Relieve Joint Pain
- 13 Amazing Essential Oils For Dandruff | Anti-Dandruff Essential Oils Remedies
- Essential Oils For Cold Sores Relief | Essential Oils To Get Rid Off Cold Sores
- 15 Best Essential Oils For Hair Growth | Essential Oils That Boost Hair Growth
- Tea Tree Oil For Cold Sores | How To Use Tea Tree Oil For Cold Sores?
- Best Essential Oils For Allergies | Essential Oils For Seasonal Allergies
- 15 Benefits of Turmeric Essential Oil – Uses and Recipes