14+ Best Essential Oils for Sunburn Relief, Benefits of Essential Oils, How to Use, and DIY Recipes
Who does not like spending time outdoors? But long exposures to UV sunlight can cause sunburn resulting in irritated and itchy skin. In such a situation you would like to try anything and everything that will help you get relief from sunburn and its symptoms.
But before you try on anything it is important to know that there is a natural remedy to treat sunburn.
Essential oils are one of the natural remedies that help in healing sunburn and reducing its symptoms. Essential oils have many medicinal and therapeutic properties that help deal with different skin conditions and health issues. It has natural healing properties and offers relief from pain.
What is a Sunburn?
Sunburn is a common skin condition that occurs when the skin is overexposed to ultraviolet (UV) radiation when the skin is overexposed to UV radiation. It is a type of radiation burn caused by harmful UV rays, particularly the UVB rays.
When your skin is exposed to UV radiation, it triggers a defense mechanism. Melanin, the pigment responsible for your skin's color, starts to increase to absorb and dissipate the UV rays. This is why your skin may tan when exposed to sunlight.
However, when the UV exposure is too intense or prolonged, your skin's melanin can't provide sufficient protection, and sunburn occurs. Sunburn damages the DNA in your skin cells, leading to inflammation and the classic symptoms associated with sunburn.
Symptoms of Sunburn
The following are the symptoms of a sunburn:
Redness: The affected skin becomes reddish or pinkish, a classic sign of sunburn.
Pain and Sensitivity: Sunburned skin can be tender to the touch and may hurt when you apply pressure.
Swelling: In some cases, the sunburned area may swell, particularly if it's severe.
Blisters: Severe sunburn can lead to the formation of blisters filled with fluid.
Peeling: After a few days, the sunburned skin may start to peel as the damaged skin cells slough off.
Importance of Sun Protection
Sunburn isn't just uncomfortable; it can have long-term consequences. Repeated sunburns can increase your risk of skin cancer, including melanoma, which is the deadliest form of skin cancer.
Consistent sun protection significantly reduces the risk of skin cancer, including melanoma, which is the deadliest form of skin cancer. UV radiation is a known carcinogen.
UV rays accelerate the aging process of the skin, leading to wrinkles, fine lines, and age spots. Sun protection helps maintain youthful-looking skin.
Protecting your skin from the sun helps maintain its overall health by preventing damage to skin cells and DNA, which can lead to various skin issues.
Sun exposure can cause uneven pigmentation, leading to dark spots and discoloration. Sun protection helps maintain an even skin tone.
Best Essential Oils For Sunburn Relief
1. Peppermint Essential Oil
Hands down these are the best essential oil for sunburn as it has a cooling effect. Peppermint has menthol in it that helps in calming the skin. Though, if you have sensitive skin then, do not forget to dilute this essential oil with a carrier oil before applying it to the skin.
2. Yarrow Essential Oil
Yarrow essential oil is good for sunburn. Yarrow oil is very gentle on the skin and is one of the best options to use on sunburned skin. It can soothe irritated skin. It has a constituent called azulenes that has healthy properties and helps calm and relax sunburned skin.
3. Patchouli Essential Oil
Patchouli oil has natural calming and soothing properties and the application of patchouli oil helps relieve sunburn.
4. Chamomile Essential Oil
Chamomile oil is best for inflamed skin. It is rich in health related properties that help in easing the symptoms of sunburn. It has calming and soothing properties. Also, this oil has conditioning properties that help heal skin very fast. Chamomile oil can also be used on sunburn symptoms like itchy skin. It can also be used on kids.
5. Helichrysum Essential Oil
Helichrysum oil is one of the most effective essential oils for sunburn. This oil has a neryl acetate constituent that helps the skin.
6. Spearmint Essential Oil
Spearmint is an important oil that helps with sunburn. It has menthol in it that has natural cooling properties and can offer relief and soothe sunburn. It can also be used for kids.
7. Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender oil has soothing and cooling properties that can help with sunburn. Lavender oil promotes skin health and also helps reduce scars. Lavender oil may help fade scars quickly. Lavender oil can be mixed with shea butter to make sunscreens.
8. Tea Tree Essential Oil
Tea tree oil is one of the most famous essential oils in a skincare routine. Tea tree oil has many health related properties that help fight many symptoms of sunburn-like itchy skin etc.
9. Geranium Essential Oil
Geranium oil can soothe irritated skin. The geranium essential oil has health properties that maybe useful against mild sunburns. Geranium oil calms the affected area. It also offers relief from skin irritation due to sunburn.
10. Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Eucalyptus oil has cooling properties that can soothe your skin and calm your sunburn, offering you relief from irritation.
11. Green Tea Essential Oil
Green tea essential oil is rich in nutrients. It has properties that are good for sunburn and also protect the skin.
12. Rose Essential Oil
Rose oil is considered the queen of oils. Rose oil is most effective for sensitive skin. Rose oil has many properties that may protect the skin from environmental factors.
13. Frankincense Essential Oil
Frankincense oil is considered the king of oils. It is rich in nutrients that may help with sunburn. It is used as an ingredient in sunscreen products.
14. Sandalwood Essential Oil
Sandalwood essential oil has cooling properties that can be used to calm irritated skin and due to sunburn. Sandalwood paste has natural healing properties that promote faster skin healing.
Best Carrier Oils for Sunburn
The best carrier oil for sunburns is a gentle and soothing oil that can help hydrate and nourish the damaged skin. Some of the top carrier oils to consider for sunburn relief include:
Aloe Vera Gel: While not technically an oil, aloe vera gel is an exceptional choice for sunburns. It has natural cooling and anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce redness and soothe the skin.
Coconut Oil: Coconut oil is well-known for its moisturizing and anti-inflammatory properties. It can help lock in moisture and reduce the peeling and itching associated with sunburn.
Jojoba Oil: Jojoba oil closely resembles the natural oils produced by our skin. It is non-comedogenic and can provide excellent hydration without clogging pores. It also has anti-inflammatory properties.
Olive Oil: Olive oil is readily available in most kitchens and can be used as a temporary solution for sunburn relief. It provides moisture and can help reduce dryness and flakiness.
Benefits Of Essential Oils For Sunburn
May Release Discomfort
Essential oils have natural healing properties and calming and cooling properties that help in fading away the discomfort caused due to sunburn.
Soothes The Skin
Essential oils have properties that can help soothe irritated skin due to sunburn.
Essential oils have analgesic properties that help relieve pain. Some of the essential oils have menthol in them like peppermint oil which has a cooling impact and promotes pain relief.
Essential oils are rich in anti-inflammatory properties that help in reducing inflammation which is a major issue in sunburn. It helps reduce skin irritation.
How To Use Essential Oils For Sunburn?
Sunburned skin is already very sensitive and can easily get irritated. Avoid using essential oils directly on the skin. Undiluted essential oils are highly concentrated which can cause skin irritation or inflammation. So, in order to use essential oils for sunburn it is necessary to dilute them with a carrier oil and apply it directly to the skin. Carrier oil like coconut oil, jojoba oil, argan oil, sweet almond oil, apricot oil, etc. can be used for this purpose.
Dilute the oils in a 1:3 ratio, that is 1 drop of essential oil to 3 drops of carrier oil.
Before applying the diluted oil to the sunburn area, apply the oil to a non-burned area to take a patch test. This will help you identify if there is any allergic reaction to its use.
You can use essential oils with aloe vera gel as it can help soothe your sunburn.
Avoid excess use of essential oils as they can cause skin irritation.
Essential Oil Blends To Heal Sunburn
Following are some of the DIY sunburn remedies using essential oils for your skin and sunburn.
DIY Recipe #1 - Essential Oil Spray for Sunburn
- 2 drops of peppermint oil
- 2 drops of rose essential oil
- 2 drops green tea oil
- 2 drops of lavender oil
- 2 tablespoons aloe gel
- 1 cup water
- 100 ml spray bottle
- Take the spray bottle and add all the oils and aloe gel to it.
- Shake the bottle well to mix aloe gel and oils properly.
- Add water to this mixture and shake thoroughly to mix all the ingredients properly.
- Store the spray bottle in a cool and dark place.
- You can use this mixture twice on your sunburn.
DIY Recipe #2 - Essential Oil Blend To Soothe Sunburn
- 2 drops peppermint oil
- 2 drops of chamomile oil
- 5 drops of rose oil
- 2 drops of sandalwood oil
- 2 drops of yarrow oil
- Coconut oil (Carrier oil)
- 10 ml glass bottle
- Take the glass bottle and add all the essential oils.
- Add the coconut oil to fill the remaining space in the bottle.
- Shake the bottle thoroughly to mix all the oils and make a nice blend.
- Store the bottle in a cool and dark place.
- Apply this mixture twice on your sunburn.
DIY Recipe #3 - Oatmeal Warm Bath Using Essential Oils for Sunburn
- 2 drops of sandalwood oil
- 2 drops of patchouli oil
- 2 drops of tea tree oil
- 2 teaspoons aloe
- 1 cup of oatmeal
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Add this mixture to the warm bath.
- Enjoy your bath and heal your sunburn.
Sunburnt skin can cause a lot of discomfort and skin irritation. There are natural remedies for sunburn-like pure essential oils that can offer relief to damaged skin due to sunburn. Essential oils are rich in health-related properties and this makes essential oils good for sunburn.
A list of the best essential oils has been offered in this article that can be soothing to the skin. Essential oils can help reduce discomfort and skin irritation caused due to sunburn. Always apply essential oils in diluted form. You can dilute essential oils with a carrier oil to reduce their concentration and use them directly on the skin. Essential oils can promote healthy skin.
What essential oils are good for sunburn?
Peppermint oil, yarrow oil, patchouli oil, chamomile oil, geranium oil, lavender oil, sandalwood oil, frankincense oil, helichrysum oil, spearmint oil, tea tree oil, green tea oil, rose oil, and eucalyptus oil are good for sunburn.
Can you use essential oils on sunburn?
Yes. Essential oils have many properties that can help soothe the skin and reduce skin irritation caused due to sunburn.
Can you put peppermint oil on sunburn?
Yes. Peppermint oil is rich in menthol that has cooling properties and can offer relief from sunburn.
Is tea tree oil Good for sunburn?
Yes. Tea tree oil has many properties that help fight sunburn and its symptoms.
Can lavender oil help sunburn?
Yes. Lavender oil has natural properties that help with sunburn. Lavender oil has cooling properties that soothes sunburn.
- Chanchal Deep Kaur and Swarnlata Saraf Pharmacognosy Res. (2010) In vitro sun protection factor determination of herbal oils used in cosmetics. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3140123/
- Frankincense oil is best essential oils for sunburn https://books.google.co.in/books?id=fQcmCwAAQBAJ&dq=frankincense+oil+is+best+essential+oils+for+sunburn&lr=&source=gbs_navlinks_s
- Industrial Crops and Products. Volume 112,(2018) Acute and sub-lethal toxicity of eight essential oils of commercial interest against the filariasis mosquito Culex quinquefasciatus and the housefly Musca domestica. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0926669017308944
- Antimicrobial efficacy of five essential oils against oral pathogens: An in vitro study. https://www.thieme-connect.com/products/ejournals/pdf/10.4103/1305-7456.119078.pdf
- Pinterest Homemade Sunscreens: A Recipe for Sunburn. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10410236.2019.1616442
- TOXICOLOGY OF TEA TREE OIL. https://azkurs.org/pars_docs/refs/29/28057/28057.pdf#page=200
- ROLE OF AROMATHERAPY AS ALTERNATIVE HEALTH PRACTICES 1 1 2. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/362537157_ROLE_OF_AROMATHERAPY_AS_ALTERNATIVE_HEALTH_PRACTICES_1_1_2
- Pharmacogn Rev. (2011) Potential of herbs in skin protection from ultraviolet radiation. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3263051/
- M. Sharma. Suppression of Lipopolysaccharide-stimulated Cytokine/Chemokine Production in Skin Cells by Sandalwood Oils and Purified α-santalol and β-santalol. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/ptr.5080
- Best Oils for Itchy Scalp | Hair Oils for Dandruff and Itchy Scalp
- 7 Best Health Recipes With Bay Laurel Essential Oil – DIY Tips
- Spearmint Essential Oil Benefits | Ways to Use Spearmint Essential Oil and DIY Recipes
- How to Use Oregano Oil for Cold and Flu | Oil of Oregano to Treat a Cold
- Cajeput Essential Oil Uses, Benefits, and DIY Recipes
- Nourishing Hair Mask With Essential Oils | DIY Hair Mask Recipes Using Essential Oils
- Petitgrain Oil Benefits, Uses and DIY – For Tranquility, Skincare & More
- Bergamot Scent: What Does Bergamot Essential Oil Smell Like?
- Essential Oils That Stimulate The Vagus Nerve, Promote Mental Health, And Reduce Stress