16+ Essential Oils For Peace, Calmness & Stress: Oil Blends and Recipes
From every day worries to utter chaos, life can sometimes leave us all in a mental mess; and more often than not it does leave us in a mess. No matter which part of the world you reside in, no matter what your age is, stress is inevitable. Perhaps the only escape is to be a hermit, relinquish all worldly possessions and bid adieu to hedonism.
Well, not really, that’s too farfetched. Stress does affect all of us, but we have to fight back.
The ability to overcome stress, remain calm and manage our emotions not only boosts our performance and earns us respect, it also defines our character.
What are some of the ways to diffuse stress and bring about peace, calm and tranquility?
Some of the common methods to calm the mind are as follows – meditation, deep breathing, yoga, exercise, music, talking to someone and divert your mind. All these resolutions work perfectly well.
There is another way to induce peace and calmness in the mind and overcome stress – and that is aromatherapy.
Inhaling pleasant aromas have a soothing effect. Aromatherapy with essential oils is used as a standalone method of treating stress or a supplementary treatment.
If you are meditating, deep breathing or doing yoga aromatherapy helps.
If you are listening to music or talking to a friend – aromatherapy helps.
Scientific Evidence That Aromatherapy Works
The University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Romania, conducted a research which was published in 2016. The purpose of the research was to evaluate the effects of essential oils.
The report also mentions the toxicity of using plant based oils for aromatherapy. In conclusion, it stated that the oil was effective in combating anxiety and stress, and it could also be used for treating neurological disorders. (More human trials and peer-reviewed studies are needed.) 
There are several essential oils, each serving its own purpose in the field of therapeutics. So, what are the essential oils for peace and calmness?
Here’s a list of essential oils that are useful in driving out anxiety and stress, and bring in peace, calmness, serenity and tranquility.
Top 16 Essential Oils For Peace and Calmness
The list of essential oils for peace always starts with lavender essential oil, extracted from the purple flowers of lavandula angustifolia. The oil has antidepressant and sedative properties, which ensures proper sleep and relaxation. Lavender oil spray on clothing or applied topically (directly to your skin) with olive oil or coconut oil also lowers anxiety.
The Mental Health Clinician published in 2017 a study on anxiety disorders and the effect of lavender oil. Randomized trials in the study prove that the oil and its plant extract could play a role in curbing anxiety disorders as it has a calming effect. (2)
The Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior published a report in 2006 regarding the investigation of pharmacological effects of lavender oil. It found that linalool compound in lavender was responsible for the anti-anxiety effect of this oil. (3)
The medicinal herb of Clary sage has anti-anxiety effects and has been used for the same in traditional medicines. In fact, in a certain study, inhaling the aroma of Clary sage was more effective in reducing stress.
The randomized controlled trial was conducted to check the effects of inhaling lavender and Clary sage oils on the autonomic nervous system of 34 female patients suffering from urinary incontinence and undergoing urodynamic assessment.
In this particular trial, the effect of Clary Sage oil in anti-stress acidity was more profound.
The study was published in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine in 2013. (4)
Extracted from the perennial plant Chamaemelum nobile, the chamomile oil is used in aromatherapy and in topical massage to lower stress and bring about calmness.
The National Cancer Institute has stated that massaging cancer patients with Roman Chamomile essential oil for a period of two weeks decreased their anxiety levels. (5)
The aroma of lemon is used to bring nausea and retching sensations under control. The citrus fruit has been used for bringing down anxiety levels for ages. However, there is a catch though. The use of lemon essential oil for stress must be limited because extended or extensive use of lemon oil for anxiety can contravene its very purpose.
A study to evaluate the anxiolytic effect of several essential oils found lemon oil or Citrus limon was one of the oils which lowered anxiety. Its result was published in the Molecules journal in 2015. (6)
Who doesn’t like to stop and smell the roses? Even the naysayers do it, albeit when no one is watching. It is no wonder then that rose essential oil brings peace and calmness to its surroundings. This calming essential oil to help lower mental agony is extracted from the aromatic petals of the flower.
Research by Dr. Tapanee Hongratanaworakit published in 2009 corroborated the use of rose oil in lowering depression and stress levels in humans. (7)
A hidden gem in aromatherapy for calmness is neroli or orange blossom essential oil. The citrusy aroma of neroli has an invigorating and stress-reducing effect on the senses and overcomes stress. It is one of the citrus oils with a sedative effect.
The Journal for Essential Oil Research in 2011 published the sedative nature of neroli. (8)
Extracted from the flowers of the Cananga odorata tree, ylang ylang essential oil has anti-stress properties. Aromatherapists recommend ylang ylang for stress relieving aromatherapy.
A study done at the Srinakharinwirot University, Thailand, and published in 2006 evaluated the transdermal absorption of ylang ylang oil on human physiological parameters. It concluded that the oil could lower stress levels. (9)
Inhaling the aroma of bergamot oil (sourced from the peel of citrus fruit) is known to balance the hormones and bring emotions under control. It, thus, controls wayward emotions and negativity.
It is extracted from the Citrus bergamia plant. Bergamot oil for emotional well-being is known for its calming effect. This oil is diffused in the waiting room of a mental health treatment center because its effect in aromatherapy lowers anxiety of patients induces positive feelings in the waiting room.
Inhaling the scent of bergamot essential oil for 15 minutes help you unwind. It is the oil that gives Earl grey tea its typical flavor and fragrance.
Bergamot essential oil has been scientifically proven the corticosterone response to stress in rats (more human trials are needed). A 2010 research in Phytotherapy Research sheds more light on the conclusion. (10)
The base note of patchouli has a grounding effect on the brain, hence regulating emotions. This is due to the presence of sesquiterpenes. Patchouli oil was made famous by the hippie culture of the 1970s. The aroma of patchouli may be vexatious for some people, but because of its many positive effects on mental health people use it in aromatherapy after blending it with floral or citrus oils.
A study in 2022 using rat model concluded the dopamine elevating capability of patchouli oil that could lower depression. (11)
The minty aroma of spearmint has a stimulating effect on the mind. It has an exhilarating effect on the senses. Inhaling the aroma of spearmint while meditating (or simply deep breathing) can open emotional blocks and bring about a sense of calm. Most of the times spearmint is used in a blend to overcome anxiety.
The blend of peppermint, ginger and spearmint is known mitigate nausea. One can read all about how spearmint works in the peer reviewed Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. (12)
Frankincense essential oil is useful for those suffering from chronic stress and depression. It is also spiritual oil and is diffused in the prayer room of the house to induce spirituality and a sense of contentment. Frankincense oil balances the sleep needed by the body and maintains antioxidant levels.
This was proved in an experiment on rats and published in Essential Oils and Natural Products in 2019. (13)
This essential oil finds a place in this list because it reduces headaches and physical pain. Peace of mind is sometimes affected by physical pain. Myrrh oil in aromatherapy tackles this issue.
Aromatherapy using a preferred oil for 15 minutes improved headaches. Increase in anxiety or tension during an anxiety-inducing situation can be countered by inhaling oils such as myrrh.
Jasmine oil has a sweet aroma that lowers stress and depression. It is also used by menopausal women to get mental relief from menopause and symptoms. Jasmine essential oil also has a stimulating effect on the central nervous system. Its aroma also affects mood and emotion.
Inhaling the aroma of jasmine oil increased the beta waves in the brain, which highlighted stimulation in brain activity. (14)
Vetiver oil is yet another oil that stimulates the mind. It has anxiolytic properties that lowers anxiety and bring in happiness. Study on mice has yielded positive results. (15)
Stress Relief Roll-on
This is not an essential oil for aromatherapy. This is a Gya Labs essential oil amalgamation roll-on to get relief from stress and anxiety. It can be carried anywhere and used anytime. It contains Ylang Ylang, Rose Geranium, Sweet Orange & Lemongrass oils.
A few honorable names not in this list but needs to be mentioned here are basil oil, marjoram oil, sandalwood oil, rosemary oil and geranium oil.
A certain research has also found that participants who inhaled sweet orange essential oil creates a sense of calmness. The sedative and anxiety-reducing properties of the oil lower cortisol levels (stress hormone), systolic blood pressure and reduce mental clutter.
Benefits of Aromatherapy
Besides calming the mind and bring peace, aromatherapy with each of the aforementioned essential oils provide other therapeutic benefits as well.
Essential oils are organic oils used in aromatherapy. It has been used for ages because people find scents to be effective and it is an easy way of getting well.
And the researches on the use of essential oils and aromatherapy have been positive. But, it has to be stated that not every research had good to say about the treatment. Also, the Food and Drug Administration does not monitor these alternative medicines including plant oils.
Aromatherapy is a supplementary treatment for mental well being; but, it also helps with the following and aromatherapy can help with following:
Reduce stress, anxiety, negative emotions and depression.
· Clears negative thoughts.
· Drives away bugs and insects
· Eliminates pathogens
· Induce sleep / increase energy
· Treats respiratory conditions
· Boost sex drive, etc.
Essential Oil Blends, Recipes and DIY Tips
Essential Oil Blends For Peace and Calmness in Aromatherapy
· Mix the oils mentioned here in the right proportion.
·Do not be overzealous and use too much of these oils as too much aroma can cause headaches
· Do not be overly cautious and use less amounts of oil as it may not be effective.
· Use any kind of aroma diffuser for best results.
Sweet and Lemony Serenity
· 3 drops of lavender
· 3 drops of bergamot
· 3 drops of Tangerine
· 1 drop of tea tree oil
· 3 drops of frankincense
· 2 drops of Melissa
· 1 drop of patchouli
· 5 drops of Sandalwood
· 3 drops of frankincense
· 3 drops of Roman chamomile
· 2 drops of Clary sage
· 2 drops of black spruce
Peace at Home
· 3 drops of cedarwood
· 2 drops of lime
·1 drop of vetiver
Evening Time Calmness
· 5 drops of lavender
· 3 drops of sandalwood
· 4 drops of wild orange
How To Use oils, Blends For Peace Calm
We have listed 25 Ways To Use Essential Oils To Spread Peace And Calm, And Overcome Stress
Essential oils can be used in different ways and in different circumstances to induce peace and tranquility. Here are some ways to use and diffuse essential oils for peace.
· For Stress: Diffuse your favorite essential oil using an aroma diffuser at home whenever you are feeling stressed.
·For Performance: Diffuse your favorite aroma in office space to boost the performance of your team.
·Nerve Pain: Dilute the organic oil with vegetable oil and massage on the temples, earlobes, back of the neck and the back to calm jittery nerves.
· Sleep: Get better sleep by diffusing the oil in the bedroom before bed time.
· Sprinkle a few drops of the oil on your pillow or bed to help you sleep. Inhale the aroma all night for uninterrupted sleep.
· Spread the aroma of essential oils in kid’s room to calm them and prepare them for sleep.
· Calming: Blend essential oils and store it in the air purifier of the car to stay calm during travelling.
· Inhale the aroma directly from the bottle for a few minutes to get instant calmness.
· Buy diffusing jewelry and keep stress at bay at all times.
· For Massage: Know the pressure points in the feet and give yourself foot massage with the calming oils.
· Blend several essential oils with carrier oils for a relaxing whole body massage.
· Yoga: Diffuse it while doing yoga to stay focused.
· Spiritual: Diffuse it in the prayer room to fully awaken your spirituality.
· Dilute the oils and used it as a perfume or deodorant.
· Anxious: Know your pulse points and apply the oils when feeling anxious.
· Bath: Add a few drops of the oil into your bath water and take a relaxing bath (preferably in the evening after a hectic day). If you have access to a bath tub, soak yourself for as long as you feel.
· For Pets: Choose safe oils and diffuse it to calm your stressed pet. Consult a veterinarian as some oils may irritate dogs and some others may vex cats.
· Topically apply the oils on pets. (Again, consult a veterinarian beforehand.)
· Bothered by night time teeth grinding? Diffuse peace oils while sleeping.
· Do you sleep walk?
Diffuse essential oils as supplementary treatment to improve quality of sleep and combat fatigue.
· Let your room fill with the aroma of essential oil. Reiterate “I love myself”, “I love everyone” and other affirmations to pen the heart chakra.
· Dilute aromatic oils and store in a roll-on bottle. Apply it o pulse points to beat stress.
· For Clothes: Add few drops of oil in the washing machine during rinse cycle to keep the clothes smelling fresh.
· Room Freshener: Prepare a mild room freshener in a spray bottle and spread the aroma of positivity.
· Diffuse the oil immediately in the house if any outdoor commotion upsets the kids or pets.
1. Essential oils in wellness centers: Overview on european union legislation, potential therapeutic effects and toxicity (2020)
2. Benjamin J. Malcolm, PharmD, MPH1 and Kimberly Tallian, PharmD, BCPP, FASHP, FCCP, FCSHP2 (2018) Essential oil of lavender in anxiety disorders: Ready for prime time?
3. (2006) Toyoshi Umezua Kimiyo Naganoa Hiroyasu Ito Kiyomi Kosakai Misao Sakaniwa Masatoshi Morita (2006) Anticonflict effects of lavender oil and identification of its active constituents
4. (2013) Geun Hee Seol, PhD,corresponding author1 Yun Hee Lee, MS,1 Purum Kang, BS,1 Ji Hye You, MS,1 Mira Park, PhD,2 and Sun Seek Min, PhD3 Randomized Controlled Trial for Salvia sclarea or Lavandula angustifolia: Differential Effects on Blood Pressure in Female Patients with Urinary Incontinence Undergoing Urodynamic Examination
5. Aromatherapy With Essential Oils (PDQ®)–Patient Version
6. (2015) by Damião Pergentino De Sousa, Palloma De Almeida Soares Hocayen, Luciana Nalone Andrade and Roberto Andreatini
A Systematic Review of the Anxiolytic-Like Effects of Essential Oils in Animal Models
7. (2011) Tapanee Hongratanaworakit Relaxing Effect of Rose Oil on Humans
8. (1991) W. Jäger,G. Buchbauer,L. Jirovetz,H. Dietrich &Ch. Plank
Evidence of the Sedative Effect of Neroli Oil, Citronellal and Phenylethyl Acetate on Mice
9. Hongratanaworakit T, Buchbauer G. Relaxing effect of ylang ylang oil on humans after transdermal absorption. Phytother Res. 2006 Sep;20(9):758-63. doi: 10.1002/ptr.1950. PMID: 16807875.
10. Astuti P, Khairan K, Marthoenis M, Hasballah K. Antidepressant-like Activity of Patchouli Oil var. Tapak Tuan (Pogostemon cablin Benth) via Elevated Dopamine Level: A Study Using Rat Model. Pharmaceuticals (Basel). 2022 May 15;15(5):608. doi: 10.3390/ph15050608. PMID: 35631434; PMCID: PMC9145128.
11. Astuti P, Khairan K, Marthoenis M, Hasballah K. Antidepressant-like Activity of Patchouli Oil var. Tapak Tuan (Pogostemon cablin Benth) via Elevated Dopamine Level: A Study Using Rat Model. Pharmaceuticals (Basel). 2022 May 15;15(5):608. doi: 10.3390/ph15050608. PMID: 35631434; PMCID: PMC9145128.
12. Susanna Stea, Alina Beraudi, Dalila De Pasquale, "Essential Oils for Complementary Treatment of Surgical Patients: State of the Art", Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2014, Article ID 726341, 6 pages, 2014.
13. (2019) Shukan Okano , Yoshiko Honda , Tohru Kodama , Mayumi Kimura. The Effects of Frankincense Essential Oil on Stress in Rats
14. Sayowan, Winai & Siripornpanich, Vorasith & Hongratanaworakit, Tapanee & Kotchabhakdi, Naiphinich & Ruangrungsi, Nijsiri. (2013). The effects of jasmine Oil inhalation on brain wave activities and emotions. Journal of Health Research. 27. 73-77.
15. Somrudee Saiyudthong, Sirinun Pongmayteegul, Charles A. Marsden & Pansiri Phansuwan-Pujito (2015) Anxiety-like behaviour and c-fos expression in rats that inhaled vetiver essential oil, Natural Product Research, 29:22, 2141-2144,
How to use Peace and Calming Blend?
Add a few drops of the blend in an aroma diffuser and allow its scent to fill the room. Inhale the aroma of the oil while taking deep breaths. It can be diffused anytime someone is feeling stressed.
When to add peace and calm to face lotion?
Add not more than two drops of the oil in the face lotion. It can be used anytime during anxiety or panic attacks. It can be applied at the end of a very hectic day.
How to combat stress and find peace?
Method 1: Diffuse any essential oil for peace and calmness in your room. In a meditative stance, take deep breaths.
Method 2: Mix the essential oil for peace with a carrier oil. Apply it to the pulse points of the body.
Method 3: Add a few drops of peace and calmness oil to bath water. Take a relaxing bath.
What is peace and calming essential oil good for?
Peace and calming essential oil is good for mitigating the levels or symptoms of anxiety, nervousness, stress and depression. It also helps conquer negative emotions including fear and sadness. It brings about feelings of calmness and tranquillity to the mind and body.
What are calming essential oils for kids?
Kids sometimes are faced with nervousness and stress. It may be caused by the pressure due to exams or commotions in the house or outside. Diffusing calming oils in the kids’ room calms their jittery nerves and gives them confidence. The essential oils that can be used on kids for inducing calmness are lavender, orange and peppermint oils.