18+ Best Essential Oils For Humidifiers
Essential oils are being widely used for aromatherapy these days. Essential oils have several health-based properties that help with different skin and health conditions. Essential oils are also used in aromatherapy treatments.
Humidifiers can be used to add essential oils to your surroundings. Humidifiers help manage the right moisture balance in your home. And you can use essential oils in a humidifier to increase the additional advantages of a humidifier.
You can mix different essential oils in the humidifier to take advantage of different essential oils. Essential oils offer many health-based benefits. Essential oils for humidifiers can help induce calmness and relax your mind and body, get relief from colds and flu, etc.
Read below to find out some of the top essential oils for a humidifier.
What Are The Best Essential Oils For A Humidifier?
1. Lavender essential oil
Lavender essential oil is one of the most ancient essential oils that is being used for ages for different health and skin conditions. Lavender oil has health properties that are used in many cosmetics for promoting skin care. It has aromatherapy properties that help promote better health.
Lavender oil has a very sweet smell and using it with a humidifier can set the whole vibe of your room and can instantly lift your mood, and relax you.
2. Sandalwood essential oil
Sandalwood oil is widely used in cosmetic products. The use of sandalwood oil is linked with spirituality and thus many people use this oil with a humidifier to promote spiritual health.
Using sandalwood oil with a diffuser helps in promoting mental wellbeing. It has a great woodsy scent that instantly fills up your room. This is one of the best essential oils that can be blended with any other oil.
3. Lemongrass essential oil
Lemongrass oil is one of the most loved essential oils to be used with humidifiers mainly because of its exotic fragrance. It has a bright, citrusy, and earthy scent that can immediately improve your mood.
4. Tea tree essential oil
Tea tree essential oil has health-based benefits. Tea tree essential oil is derived from Australian tea tree plants. Using it with humidifiers can help in getting relief from cough, cold, and flu. It has relaxing properties that help in relaxing the mind and body.
Tea tree oil has a very mild scent to it that can add a decent scent to your surroundings when used with humidifiers.
5. Peppermint essential oil
Peppermint oil is considered to be full of energy essential oil and using it with a humidifier can lift up your energy levels instantly.
Peppermint oil is rich in menthol compound which gives a fresh and minty scent to it and refreshes your whole surrounding.
6. Vanilla essential oil
Vanilla oil has a very rich sweet scent that fills the room instantly and can lift your mood. It has a relaxing aroma that can calm you down after a tiring day at school, at work etc. Thus using Vanilla Oil of Gya Labs with a humidifier can have many health benefits.
7. Chamomile essential oil
Chamomile oil has many skin and health benefits and this is the reason it is used widely. Chamomile oil improves skin conditions and lets the body get better rest.
Chamomile oil also has relaxing and calming properties. Using chamomile essential oil with humidifiers can improve physical and mental health.
8. Citronella essential oil
Citronella essential oil has positive properties that help in improving skin and hair conditions.
Citronella oil can improve skin conditions by unclogging and tightening pores. Using citronella oil with humidifiers can offer relief from fatigue. So, it is one of the most effective essential oils that can be used with humidifiers.
9. Eucalyptus essential oil
Eucalyptus essential oil is rich in health-based properties. It helps with health and skin conditions. Eucalyptus oil with humidifiers can help restful periods.
10. Marjoram essential oil
Marjoram essential oil has a very spicy scent that can refresh your mood. It has a mild scent that spreads all around your surroundings. Marjoram oil has calming properties and it can be used with a humidifier to relax your mind and body.
11. Patchouli essential oil
Patchouli oil has a woodsy scent that is a mix of both sweetness and spiciness. Patchouli oil with humidifiers can help lift your mood. It also relaxes you.
12. Oregano essential oil
The health-based properties of Oregano essential oil are many and are being used in many traditional medications. It may help in improving many different health conditions. It also helps improve the quality of air in your surroundings and promotes effective breathing.
13. Lemon essential oil
Lemon oil has a great scent which makes it a perfect essential oil for humidifiers. Lemon oil is also beneficial for many different skin conditions it helps even tone the skin, reduces blemishes and dark spots, etc. Lemon oil is one of the best essential oils for humidifier use.
14. Bergamot essential oil
Bergamot essential oil comes from the bergamot fruit. Bergamot essential oil has a sweet and citrusy aroma so if you are inclined towards a sweet and citrusy smell around your surrounding then this essential oil is best for your humidifiers.
15. Rose essential oil
The role of scent is one of the most loved fragrances by aroma lovers. This is one of their favorite preferences when it comes to using it for humidifiers.
Apart from the great scent, rose oil has many health related benefits as well. It helps calm and relax your mind. Thus this is one of the best humidifier essential oils.
16. Geranium essential oil
Geranium oil is another commonly used essential oil in humidifiers. It is used in aromatherapy for relaxation and serenity.
17. Ylang-Ylang essential oil
Ylang Ylang essential oil has many health benefits. It has a positive impact on both physical and mental well-being. Ylang-ylang essential oil in a humidifier can help lift your mood.
18. Cardamom essential oil
Cardamom oil has a very long-lasting and sweet smell that is loved by many people. It has been used for ages for many different purposes. Using cardamom essential oil in a humidifier can act as a mood-uplifter.
How To Choose The Best Humidifier And Essential Oils For The Humidifier?
There are two different types of humidifiers that you can choose from. If you have children and pets at your home then a cool-mist humidifier is the best option for you. Warm mist humidifiers can be used during winter to keep your surroundings warm and cozy. As winters approach, it is the best time to plug in your humidifiers. Also, keep in mind to use pure essential oils in humidifiers.
While selecting the essential oils for humidifiers many factors need to be considered. Like if you are pregnant or breastfeeding or have children less than 12 years, then you should avoid using essential oils. If you still want to use essential oils then it is recommended that you consult your doctor first.
Also, if you have pets at your home then you might need to consider using essential oils as they can prove dangerous to your four-legged friends.
Also, if you have any health conditions like high blood pressure, low immunity, or any other health conditions, it is advisable to consult your doctor before using essential oils.
Always keep in mind that you should never use essential oils directly. Instead, you should mix essential oils with carrier oil or water before using them. This will reduce the concentration of essential oils and will reduce the chances of any side effects.
Keep in mind to use the strictly recommended amount of essential oil in your humidifier.
How To Decide On The Amount Of Oil To Be Used In The Humidifier?
This is a major concern for many people as they do not know the right amount of oil to use in a humidifier. For deciding on the amount of oil to be used in humidifiers, you should consider two main factors. First, the holding area of the oil in a humidifier, and second, the size of the water tank in the humidifier.
Is It Okay To Use Essential Oils With Regular Humidifiers?
One should know that not every humidifier is compatible with essential oils. It is generally asked that can I put essential oils in a regular humidifier. To know the answer to this, firstly, it is important to understand the difference between a humidifier and a diffuser. The diffuser is a device that is used to diffuse essential oils into the air. There are different types of essential oil diffusers to choose from. Diffusers usually combine essential oils with water and then diffuse them into the air.
In the case of humidifiers, the regular humidifiers are made of plastics and with regular use of essential oils, their shelf life can be reduced and they can break down. Instead, you should opt for an ultrasonic humidifier which is best and is specially designed to make it essential oil friendly. It is generally recommended that you can use 5 drops of essential oil for every 15 sq. meters of the room. Essential oils humidifiers split water and essential oils into a multitude and spread it throughout the room.
How To Use Essential Oils With A Humidifier?
Using a humidifier is a simple process. Follow the below steps for your essential oils with a humidifier:
Step 1: Add the water to the humidifier as per the instructions given by the manufacturer.
Step 2: Then add a few drops of essential oils to the water. In some humidifiers, a separate essential oil diffuser tray is provided. In such cases, you need to add your diluted essential oils to the special containers for essential oils.
Step3: Turn on the humidifier, sit back and relax and enjoy the benefits of both humidifier and essential oils.
*Note: Avoid using too many essential oils as they can cause irritation.
If you wish to use essential oils with your humidifier then you need to adopt certain precautionary measures.
- You need to exercise caution when using essential oils capable of causing allergies.
- Try to use water-soluble essential oils as it is better than regular essential oils when used in humidifiers.
- Use a few drops of essential oils per liter of water.
- If you feel any side effects like allergic reactions, headaches, dizziness, nausea, etc. then immediately stop the use of essential oils and consult a doctor.
- If you have pets at home or have children, then chose the essential oils with care for using with humidifiers as they can prove dangerous to them.
Using a humidifier helps maintain moisture balance in your room. Adding essential oils to a humidifier can increase the benefits of using a humidifier. A humidifier is a great way to utilize all the benefits of essential oils as well. Pay attention while buying a humidifier as the regular ones might get damaged with essential oils vapors.
Certain essential oils are not children friendly or pet-friendly so chose your essential oils wisely. Using essential oils with a humidifier can give you great aromatherapy treatment
Which essential oils can be used on humidifiers?
Essential oils like lavender oil, geranium oil, sandalwood oil, lemongrass oil, tea tree oil, peppermint oil, vanilla oil, chamomile oil, citronella oil, eucalyptus oil, marjoram oil, patchouli oil, oregano oil, lemon oil, bergamot oil, rose oil, ylang-ylang oil, cardamom oil, and geranium oil are some of the oils that can be used in humidifiers.
How many drops of essential oil should I put in my humidifier?
You can add 5 drops of essential oil to the water in your humidifier. Though deciding on the amount of essential oil in the humidifier also depends on factors like the holding area of the oil in that particular humidifier, and the size of the water tank in the humidifier.
How do I make my own humidifier oil?
- You can take a humidifier and add water to it till the water mark level.
- Add your favourite essential oils in it.
- Plug in the humidifier and sit back and enjoy.
How do you mix essential oils in a humidifier?
To mix essential oils in a humidifier you just have to add a few drops of essential oils in the water tank or essential oils tray in the humidifier. It will automatically mix the essential oils in the humidifier and will vaporise it throughout the room.
- Humidifiers can be used to add essential oils to your surrounding. https://books.google.co.in/books?hl=en&lr=&id=4cdADQAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PR4&dq=Humidifiers+can+be+used+to+add+essential+oils+to+your+surrounding&ots=OkXKcLfOn7&sig=eyrtJFgHxychxGTH25tdbmHUpa0&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=Humidifiers%20can%20be%20used%20to%20add%20essential%20oils%20to%20your%20surrounding&f=false
- Composition, biological properties and therapeutic effects of lavender (Lavandula angustifolia L.). A review https://agro.icm.edu.pl/agro/element/bwmeta1.element.agro-23b8012e-1835-4362-9dc5-ed6ce3570fc0
- European Journal of Integrative Medicine. Volume 4, Issue 4 (2012). Lavender and sleep: A systematic review of the evidence. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1876382012010700
- Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice. Volume 12, Issue 2 (2006) Evaluating the effectiveness of aromatherapy in reducing levels of anxiety in palliative care patients: Results of a pilot study. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1744388105001246
- Essential Oils: Magical Ingredients for Skin Care. Senthaamarai Rogawansamy. An Evaluation of Antifungal Agents for the Treatment of Fungal Contamination in Indoor Air Environments. https://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/12/6/6319
- Int J Prev Med. (2019) Comparing the Effect of Intranasal Lidocaine 4% with Peppermint Essential Oil Drop 1.5% on Migraine Attacks: A Double-Blind Clinical Trial. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6647908/
- Ashok Kumar. (2016). Fight psoriasis naturally through ayurveda. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/306914824_Fight_psoriasis_naturally_through_ayurveda
- Current Drug Discovery Technologies, Volume 16. (2019). Therapeutic Potential of Citronella Essential Oil: A Review. https://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/ben/cddt/2019/00000016/00000004/art00005
- Ahmed Al-Harrasi. Role of Essential Oils in the Management of COVID-19. (2022) Essential Oils in the Treatment of Respiratory Tract Infections. https://www.taylorfrancis.com/chapters/edit/10.1201/9781003175933-22/essential-oils-treatment-respiratory-tract-infections-ahmed-al-harrasi-saurabh-bhatia-tapan-behl-deepak-kaushik
- BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine. Efficacy of cinnamon bark oil and cinnamaldehyde on anti-multidrug resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa and the synergistic effects in combination with other antimicrobial agents. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1186/s12906-016-1134-9
- Bedtime Essential Oils Blend for Better Sleep | Best Essential Oils for Sleep
- What Does Sandalwood Smell Like? | Scent Profile of Sandalwood Oil | DIY Recipes and Benefits
- Euphoria Essential Oil Blend | Natural DIY Euphoric Blends
- Wintergreen Essential Oil: Uses, Benefits, & DIY Recipes
- Meditation Essential Oil Blend | DIY Recipe Blends for Meditation
- Aromatherapy from the Eastern Lands – Recipes for Japanese Uplifting Blend Essential Oils
- Indian Ayurvedic Blend Oil Recipes
- DIY Linen Spray Recipe | Homemade Linen Spray With Essential Oils
- What Does Rosemary Smell Like? Understanding the Scent of Rosemary Herb