How To Use Essential Oils In Body Butter? | How To Make A Body Butter?
Essential oils are gaining wide relevance these days mainly because of its multi purpose use. Essential oils have properties because of which it is used for treating different skin and health conditions.
Essential oils can be used humidifiers, topically, or in diffusers, it can also be used for bathing, or aromatherapy, etc. In this article the use of essential oils in body butters is being discussed.
Body butters are a personal favorite of many people as they are thick in consistency as compared to lotions and body butter lasts longer on our body. As it is thicker in consistency, body butter is designed to melt into your skin.
Despite being thick in consistency body butter absorbs in skin without looking greasy on skin. Adding essential oils to body butter will add on the benefits of essential oils into body butter by using simple DIY recipes.
Following are some of the DIY homemade whipped body butter recipes using essential oils that you can try to increase the advantages of your body butter.
How To Make Homemade Whipped Body Butter With Essential Oils?
Body butters are best for skin conditioning as it is rich in vitamins and fatty acids. Adding essential oils to it will increase its benefits and will help provide a great skin.
To make whipped body butter you will require butters and carrier oils along with essential oils. Some of the different kinds of butters that you can use are as follows:
This is one of the personal favorites of many people to use in the form of lotions or body butter. It has age defying properties, reduces skin inflammation, reduces skin irritation and itchiness (1). Shea butter can be used for all skin types. Shea butter is also used for reducing stretch marks and rashes like diaper rash.
Shea body butter is too hard. The shea butter smell is not liked by everyone, and thus it becomes necessary to add other fragrance in it. The melting point of shea butter is 35° C/ 95° F.
Must Read: How to Use Shea Butter for Skin Lightening
This is another favorite butter used by people on their skin. Cocoa butter also helps boost skin elasticity. It also helps get rid of chapped lips, stretch marks, dry skin, etc. Cocoa butter is a hard butter when kept at room temperature. It melts at 38° C or 100° F.
This is one of the best butter for dry skin types. It helps heal damaged skin. It fights signs of aging like wrinkles and age spots. It provides extra hydration to the skin and also helps even out the skin tone. It melts at 104° F.
Must Read: Homemade Anti-Aging Cream
Mango butter is rich in fatty acids. It helps moisturize skin and gives extra nourishment. It helps in making skin bright and also helps rejuvenate the skin and gives you a younger looking soft and supple skin. Mango butter is a soft butter as compared to shea butter and thus is less oily. It melts at 35° C/ 95° C.
The carrier oils that you can use in making body butter include coconut oil, sweet almond oil, jojoba oil, etc.
Following are the different methods in which whipped body butter can be made:
Step 1- Weigh your oils and butter.
Step 2- Start melting butter and oils together.
Step 3- Then refrigerate this mixture for 30 to 40 minutes.
Step 4- After this remove the mixture from the fridge and add essential oils in it. You can also add vitamin E oil in this. Make sure that the mixture is not watery. If it is still watery then leave it in the refrigerator for a few more minutes.
Step 5- Then with the help of an electric whisk whip the mixture.
Step 6- Repeat the last step until you get a firm mixture.
Step 7- Pour this mixture in a jar. And it is ready to use.
Cold process method
Step 1- Weigh your oils and butter. The oil and butter should be at room temperature.
Step 2- With the help of an electric whisk, whisk the butter to achieve a smooth consistency.
Step 3- Now keep on adding carrier oils at a time and keep whisking the mixture.
Step 4- Add essential oils and vitamin E oil and keep whisking the mixture to make a nice blend.
Step 5- Pour this mixture in a jar and your body butter with essential oils.
DIY Homemade Body Butter Recipes
Recipe #1 - DIY Homemade Whipped Body Butter
- 1 cup shea butter
- 1 cup jojoba oil
- 50 drops of essential oils
- Take a double boiler and add shea butter to melt.
- Keep mixing the butter while heating and then remove it from heat and let it cool.
- Add jojoba oil and essential oils in it and mix well.
- Refrigerate this mixture.
- Take the mixture out when it is partially solidified and start whipping until a fluffy body butter is achieved.
- Store this mixture in a jar.
Recipe #2 - DIY Body Butter Essential Oils Blend for Defying Age
- 20 drops of ylang ylang oil
- 20 drops of helichrysum oil
- 10 drops of lavender oil
- 10 drops of sandalwood oil
- 8 drops of frankincense oil
- 1 cup refined shea butter
- 1 cup coconut oil
- Take a double boiler and melt shea butter in it.
- Stop heating the butter and let it cool.
- Add the above essential oils and coconut oil in it and mix well.
- Put this mixture in the freezer until partially solidified.
- Remove it from the freezer and start whipping with the help of an electric whisk until it shows butter-like consistency.
- Pour this mixture in a jar and store it in a cool and dark place.
Recipe #3 - DIY Essential Oil Blend for Body Butter
- 1 cup cocoa butter
- 20 drops lavender oil
- 10 drops ylang ylang oil
- 10 drops geranium oil
- 10 rose absolute
- Take a double boiler and add cocoa butter in it and bring it to boil.
- Remove it from heat and let it cool.
- Add the essential oils in it and mix well.
- Refrigerate this mixture till partially cooled and solidified.
- With the help of an electric whisk start whisking until body butter is achieved.
The essential oil combination used in this DIY recipe is best suitable for dry skin.
Recipe #4 - DIY Essential Oil Body Butter to Calm and Soothe Skin
- Unrefined shea butter 1 cup
- Sweet almond oil - 1 cup
- 20 drops of chamomile oil
- 20 drops lavender oil
- 5 drops of orange essential oil
- 10 drops vitamin E oil
- Melt shea butter in a pot
- Add sweet almond oil and stated amount of essential oils in it after closing the stove and mix butter and almond oil well.
- Let this mixture cool.
- Put it in the freezer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove it and whisk it to mix all the ingredients well and to achieve body butter consistency.
You will love this recipe if you suffer from skin inflammation or irritation, or rashes.
Recipe #5 - DIY Whipped Body Butter Recipe with Essential Oil for Skin Nourishment
- 1/2 cup shea butter
- 1/2 cup unrefined cocoa butter
- 1/2 cup avocado butter
- 1 cup peach kernel oil
- 8 drops rosehip oil
- 8 drops frankincense oil
- 5 drops myrrh oil
- 5 drops lavender oil
- 5 drops grapeseed oil
- 10 drops vitamin E oil
- Take a double boiler and melt the shea butter, cocoa butter, and avocado butter.
- Remove the butter from heat once completely melted and let it cool down don't let it set.
- Add peach kernel oil to the body butter little by little at a time and whisk the butter.
- Add your essential oils in the mixture and whisk it thoroughly.
- Put the body butter in the fridge for 20 to 30 minutes till it is partially solidified.
- Remove the mixture from the refrigerator and start whipping it till body butter-like consistency is achieved.
- Store your body butter in a mason jar.
You can use any of the above recipes to create your own body butter.
What Are The Benefits Of Body Butter With Essential Oils?
Body butter and essential oils are rich in certain properties and fatty acids that can do wonders to skin. Following are some of the benefits that you can enjoy by using body butter with essential oils:
- It helps make your skin soft and smooth.
- It fights signs of aging like wrinkles, age spots, etc.
- It helps treat sunburn and rashes.
- It helps get rid of stretch marks and scars.
- It calms and cools your skin.
- It provides extra nourishment, moisture and hydration to the skin.
- It can be used on feet and cuticles to make them smooth and soft.
Body butter helps nourish your body. Body butter is made with the help of butters like shea butter, cocoa butter, mango butter, and avocado butter. Adding essential oils in body butter also adds benefits of the essential oils in it.
If you want body butter for your different skin requirements you should definitely try the DIY essential oil recipes in body butter.
This article has provided some DIY recipes for homemade body butter with essential oil. These recipes will make your skin more hydrated and nourished, soft and smooth. You can use this whipped body butter especially during winters to get rid of dry skin.
Body butter is the perfect product for DIY skin care during winters. You can apply body butter on your body on a daily basis. Mixing body butter and coconut oil and essential oils help improve your skin quality.
What is the best scent of essential oil for body butter?
Frankincense oil, lavender oil, citrus oils, rose oil, are some of the best scent of essential oils that can be used for body butters.
How To Use Essential Oils In Body Butters?
You can use essential oils in body butter either by heating method or cold process method.
- Under the heating method you need to melt butter, let it cool down and add essential oils and carrier oil and mix it thoroughly. Then you need to refrigerate the mixture till it partially solidifies and then remove it and whisk it to make a fluffy body butter.
- Under the cold process method you need to take carrier oils and butter at room temperature and then whisk it to make a smooth consistency paste. Add essential oils in it and whisk to make whipped body butter for use.
How many drops of essential oil for body butter?
It is recommended for 7 oz of body butter one can add between 45 to 85 drops of essential oils.
Which is better for body butter fragrance oil or essential oil?
For body butters essential oils are better than fragrance oils as essential oils provide many medicinal and therapeutic benefits that can be added to the body butter. And using body butter with essential oils will help in healing skin in varied manners.
- Shea butter has anti-aging properties, reduces skin inflammation, reduces skin irritation and itchiness. https://books.google.co.in/books?hl=en&lr=&id=6iQjwr9v84gC&oi=fnd&pg=PA1&dq=shea+butter+has+anti-aging+properties,+reduces+skin+inflammation,+reduces+skin+irritation+and+itchiness.&ots=APFsHIAHVi&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false
- Suruchi Kokil. Review on Natural Lip Balm. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/301204451_Review_on_Natural_Lip_Balm
- Vaping Essential Oils for Anxiety | Is it Safe to Vape Essential Oils?
- Exciting Aroma-filled Recipes of Organic Frankincense Essential Oil
- 7 Best Health Recipes With Bay Laurel Essential Oil – DIY Tips
- Spearmint Essential Oil Benefits | Ways to Use Spearmint Essential Oil and DIY Recipes
- How to Use Oregano Oil for Cold and Flu | Oil of Oregano to Treat a Cold
- Cajeput Essential Oil Uses, Benefits, and DIY Recipes
- Nourishing Hair Mask With Essential Oils | DIY Hair Mask Recipes Using Essential Oils
- Petitgrain Oil Benefits, Uses and DIY – For Tranquility, Skincare & More
- Bergamot Scent: What Does Bergamot Essential Oil Smell Like?