What is aromatherapy meant?
Aromatherapy is from two words – aroma and therapy. Aroma means fragrance, odor or scent, and therapy means treatment, remedy or cure. Aromatherapy is a holistic approach of maintaining and improving overall wellbeing – mind, body and soul (spirit). With the aid of aroma, this form of therapy treats, cures and prevents diseases and disorders.
What are examples of aromatherapy?
Aromatherapy works not only through inhalation, but also through absorption of the oils through skin. Hence the different examples of aromatherapy are: · Inhalation of scent diffused by aroma diffuser · Inhalation of scent through steam · Topically applying on the whole body · Adding to bathing water · Clay masks · Topical application via roll on bottles · Inhalation through spritzers
What is the difference between essential oils and aromatherapy?
Essential oils are a tangible commodity and aromatherapy is a process. Essential oils are concentrated plant oils with several therapeutic benefits. Aromatherapy is a process of holistic healing that makes use of the aroma from the essential oils.
What are aromatherapy oils used for?
There are several aromatherapy oils that are used for different purposes. The common uses of aromatherapy oils are:
- Diffused for aromatherapy
- Applied topically during massage
- Applied on face to prevent and treat acne and certain skin conditions
- Applied on scalp to upkeep hair health
- Rubbed on joints and muscles to relieve pain and soreness
- Inhaled for getting sleep or for feeling energized
Does aromatherapy Work?
Several researches have shown that aromatherapy has a positive effect on the mind. It cannot cure any ailments, nor can it be used as a treatment for any diseases. Aromatherapy is used to get relief from stress and anxiety and other mental ailments. It is, however, an excellent supplementary treatment for diseases and disorders.
Does aromatherapy work if you can't smell?
The scent of essential oils in aromatherapy has a specific effect on the psyche. If someone has lost their sense of smell, then the psychological effect of the essential oil will not be experienced. However, the oils are made up of aromatic molecules that have therapeutic properties. Hence, even if you cannot smell, aromatherapy has physiological benefits.
Does aromatherapy oil work for sleep?
Research has shown that inhaling certain scents induces. There are several essential oils with sedative properties. Diffusing these oils during sleep time helps people sleep better.
Is aromatherapy a massage?
Aromatherapy can also be a massage. There are different ways of performing aromatherapy. The most common method is to inhale the aroma of oils which are diffused in a closed room. Aromatherapy through massage is another way of relaxing the body and mind. The benefits of massage is that not only does one inhale the aroma of the aromatherapy oil, but the oil (and its constituents) gets absorbed into the skin.
Is aromatherapy safe?
- Aromatherapy, when used correctly, can help children (and adults) feel calmer and sleep better.
- It can also help to reduce the sensations of nausea, discomfort, and pain.
- When used incorrectly, aromatherapy essential oils can be harmful and even dangerous.
Is aromatherapy oil safe for the skin?
While using aromatherapy on the skin, one should take care of two things –
- Never apply the aromatherapy directly (undiluted) on the skin).
- Perform a small patch test to check if the skin is not allergic to that particular essential oil.
- If both these conditions are met, then the aromatherapy oils are safe for the skin. Also, make sure to avoid sensitive parts of the body.
How do I choose aromatherapy oils?
While choosing aromatherapy oils look for the words organic or pure and botanical name of the oil on the bottle. You can be certain of the purity only when buying from reputed stores. Read the customer reviews.
How to use aromatherapy oils?
There are different ways of using aromatherapy oils. They are as follows:
- Added to an aroma diffuser for inhalation
- Mixed with neutral oil for topical application
- Diluted and stored in a sprayer and used as an air freshener.
- Few drops are added to bath water
- Few drops are added to cosmetic products
- Few drops are added to hair and face masks.
How can aromatherapy help with stress?
When the aromatic molecules of these oils enter the brain, it stimulates the limbic system that holds memories, emotions, learning abilities etc. It also regulates the secretion hormones in the body, thereby lowering the stress causing hormones.
Which oil is best for aromatherapy?
The best oil for aromatherapy is subjective and based on the preference of the user. There are over 150 aromatherapy oils and countless aromatherapy oil blends. Also, the reason for aromatherapy varies from person to person. Contact an aromatherapist at Gya Labs to choose the best oil for aromatherapy based on your needs.
Where do you put aromatherapy oil?
Aromatherapy oils, after dilution, can be applied on the non-sensitive regions of the body. Typically, aromatherapy oils are applied on the face, scalp, feet, joints, throat, chest, neck, and abdomen.